Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Carrie Underwood All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

Hot X: Algebra Exposed!
Format: Paperback|Change

on December 28, 2013
This series of books explains math in everyday language. It is perfect for the intended audience, and it may be useful to those who are older also, as other reviews show. My wife, however, did not find it to be helpful when attempting to read it as a refresher when returning to college, and the analogies chosen were primarily distracting for her.

The strength of the book is also its weakness. While explaining math in everyday language, it is not particularly helpful as a stand-alone text because math is best learned by doing. It is clearly not intended to be a stand-alone text, of course. But for those not currently taking a math class, it will be necessary to find a book of exercises. For that purpose, and for self-study, "The Humongous Book of Algebra Problems" by W. Michael Kelley may prove useful.

I've still given it four stars because the book clearly is helping people to learn algebra. As a self-study tool, however, take into consideration whether the person studying math may need other books and whether the writing style is appropriate to the student.
on March 4, 2012
My son, an 8th grader, was struggling with some of the concepts in Algebra. Since I elected myself as chief homework reviewer, I had to understand it also. Not being in class with him, I had to rely on his textbook. The biggest issue were the "motion" problems. This book gives great examples and explains in layman terms how these problems get solved. As we continue with the year, I expect to use it often. I have tried others, but this is by far the best. Maybe she'll do a book on Algebra II.
on June 3, 2017
Make sure you read the test taking tips!
Great supplementary material for math tutors.
on May 8, 2015
This book is beautifully written, very easy instruction to brush up on my almost forgotten algebra! I'm returning to finish college and this is a great refresher! :)
on November 27, 2016
Geared toward teen girls but explains things in DETAIL! Which I love... but I could do without the "quizzes" and filler.
on December 24, 2016
I'm already a fan of Ms. McKellar's approach to math, having enjoyed her two previous books. The fun approach she employs makes math much more accessible to anyone, no matter the age.
on April 22, 2014
I purchased 4 of Danica's books for my 12 year old niece. She was having trouble with math, found it boring, and her grades were dropping. I was worried she would be insulted that I got her math books, but she was really pleased. She started the first book the night I gave them to her. Her mom told me that she started reading them as well, and thinks they are brilliant.

Danica is able to make math fun! She takes math, and likens it to everyday situations that girls might enjoy. Math is turned into quizzes, problems about shopping, boys, and other things she could relate to. Her mom also said it helps raise her confidence about doing math, and has given her a more positive outlook. We have already seen improvements in her ability to work the problems in her homework, and her grades are back on the rise.
on November 9, 2016
Great book for people starting in algebra. I read it, loved it and bought for my grandsons. Also plan to buy for my granddaughters when they get to this level of math.
on November 11, 2016
Absolutely fantastic book!!!
on June 3, 2013
I'm not a young person, but a middle-aged mom. Years ago, I bought one of Danica's books for my son, who was struggling with math. I never really understood algebra, and now that I have the time, I was determined to learn. All of her books are great, much easier to understand that math textbooks. I've made it through her Pre-Algebra book and am half-way through this one. Even at my age, I feel so empowered actually understanding algebra. I can't wait to continue on with Geometry. Danica...you go girl!!!