Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Big & Rich PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 278 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 375 reviews
on March 14, 2017
I usually avoid MxM books with covers like this (bare chest, semi naked hot men) because they end up being just about sex with no care for complex characters and profound stories.

Well, I wasn't half-wrong about this one. We got plenty of sex but we also got a sweet story with great characters. Not very profound but good enough to pass a good time. I laughed a lot and my heart ached with happiness when our two main characters finally spoke their hearts out. Their romance, fears and anxiety felt so real, nothing felt forced or fake and the sex wasn't just sex, it was love and I had to read it twice because it was hot as hell but so lovely at the same time.

I wasn't disappointed this time and I'm glad I gave it a chance (don't judge a book by its cover? haha).
on April 17, 2017
Like the author's "Lickety Split," this one has a third-person narrative from the view of one of the main characters--and it is frustrating from that point of view. Here we have most of the tale being told by Griffin, a big, stunning, ginger-haired firefighter of Scottish descent who occasionally wears kilts (for what reasons, read the book), who steadily and with great angst comes to the conclusion that not only does he love his sterrotypically Italian hot head sex god best friend Dante, but also that he might be gay. Not just G4U, but gay.

And like "Lickety Split," where Tucker comes to terms with who he is and why he feels about Patch the way he does (and for no other man), Dante's hidden demons come through toward the last part of the book. Here author Suede is exceptional in bringing together the missing pieces of a totally impossible, but almost incredibly plausible, love story that challenges you every step of the way to keep going.

Dante's family is so stereotypically Brooklyn (and Queens) Italian-American that if you are one of them (and I am) you could take offense at the way they, and he, are portrayed. But Suede's gift is the idiomatic--he infused Tucker in "Lickety Split" with a deep-down, unabashed, uneducated east Texas dialect and attitude. He does the same here with Dante, and it covers a potential host of ills.

But the hero here is Griffin Muir. You will never, ever, meet a man like this, and you will never forget him--or his story. Well done.
on November 16, 2011
Hundreds of reviews have been written raving about this novel. In some ways adding another to the pile may seem like a waste of space. I mean, what could I say that hundreds of other people haven't already said and likely said it better than I ever could? That would be a good question, but if I didn't write this review, I wouldn't be able to rave and gush and dance about how absolutely amazing, completely unforgettable this book is.

There are so many great things to say about this novel, that I've decided to list them, complete with numbers.

In no particular order, here are 13 reasons to read this book:

1. Griff is the perfect romantic hero. He's kind of quiet, self-effacing, with heroic tendencies who doesn't recognize his own appeal. He's generous and kind, but with enough temper and steel to keep him from coming off as week or boring.

2. "They'd all looked into the abyss and it kept right on looking back, window-shopping for damnation, it seemed."

3. Dante is also the perfect romantic hero. He's charismatic, outgoing, a little over-the-top. He comes across a little shallow on the outside, but under the facade, he's vulnerable and desperate. He's gorgeous and knows it, but has enough pain and insecurities to keep him from being gratingly arrogant.

4. The relationship is built spectacularly. From the back-story of how they met, the life-altering trauma of being working firemen during the chaos of the Twin Towers attacks, the fraternal friendship and eventually the romantic love that will change their life--it all adds up to a masterful love story.

5. Firemen are sexy. Two firemen are even sexier. 'Nuff said.

6.The writing is superb--creative, raw, unapologetic, heart-wrenching and at times poetic.

7. The pacing is perfect. Every step, every stage, builds on the one before it, until the reader is desperate to get to the next scene, the next chapter.

8. Suede builds a fabulous metaphor between the events of 9-11 and the growth of the characters. I'll add here that it is done in such a way that it does not detract from the seriousness and horrifying events of that day, but instead builds on the resilience and transformation of a neighborhood, community and country.

9. "Because people should not be punished for loving and hoping and holding their hearts open."

10. The setting is authentic. From the ethnic neighborhoods of the regular blue-collar man, to the trendy neighborhoods of Manhattan, it is New York in all it's beauty and flaws.

11. "I can't imagine doing it for your whole goddamn life. 'S'like being burned alive, lying to people you love. No wonder people become drunks and hide and hit each other. Truth. Easier to be dead inside."

12. The sex is hot! This book is by no means an erotic romance, where the story is the sex. This is a pure romance and the love scenes are about love. Whether it's the love of a friend will to do intimate things in front of a camera to help out or as two people celebrating their romantic attraction, the love scenes were so drenched in emotion and passion that it makes me yearn.

13. Secondary characters add depth and texture to an already layered plot. The Anastagio family is a riot--dramatic, exaggerated, Italian. Tommy is heart-breaking (and rumor has it Tommy will be back in a book of his very own). Alek keeps you guessing, but ultimately gives Griff the catalyst to fight for what he wants.

If you like your romances heart-felt and smokin' hot, you've gotta check this one out.
on May 14, 2015
So this book is HOT! I loved it! I recommend it! I listened to the audio version and it was freaking awesome!

There are so many reviews already stating why this book is just THAT GOOD so I am going to give you some reasons as to why you Should read this book! Reasons why I Loved this book!

1. The two main characters Dante and Griff -- hot, sexy fireman!

2. Griff is quiet, selfless, sexy as hell (even if he can't see it) and he is willing to go to the end of the earth for those he loves. Overall, he is perfect.

3. Dante -- Italian, sexy, romantic, outgoing, unapologetic and very charming .. Did I mention he is gorgeous and he is not afraid to show it? Yeah he is sexy! Dante is a total alpha male and to many he appears to be all about the looks ... But to those who know him he is a very emotional man and slightly insecure which makes him quite the man.

4. Damon Suede is a superb writer. This story is very creative and at times it is very raw and emotional. (I am not just saying this look at the reviews)

5. Story development.. This story is set up just right... The plot stays in sequence, there are no time jumps and each chapter builds on the next..there is no "filler" material ..this is all story.

6. Because where there is smoke there is fire! Dante is the smoke and Griff is the fire -- these two come together in a story that is combustible with chemistry yet filled with emotion and love that will keep you hooked.

7. If you listen to the audiobook as I did..the narrator took on accents and actually acted out scenes instead of just drying reading the words. He did an excellent job portraying Dante & Griff along with the supporting characters..and you felt like he was telling you a story..rather than just reading a book to you.

Overall, this is one story you MUST read. It touches on some very emotional subjects including: The Twin Towers & the deaths of all the heroes who worked at ground zero; Hate Crimes and Gay bashing are also a part of the story -- however, these topics are done in a respectful and forthright manner and they add to the strength of the characters and it's setting.

One of my favorite quotes is " Because people should not be punished for loving and hoping and holding their hearts open" and I think that is something this story shows us and teaches us...
on May 9, 2017
I may be a [bi] cis-LADY, but I LOVED this romance! Suede takes his sweet time thoroughly fleshing out his characters, making you empathize with and root for them. This was such a lovely romance! I mean, don't get me wrong, the sex scenes were graphic and smokin' HOT...but the main characters' detailed inner personal struggles with their feelings was touching. So many straight people see male gay relationships as purely physical and dirty--it's so refreshing to have Suede present these mens' as a blossoming, tender affair (SPOILER ALERT!) like ANY hetero one, with a solid future ahead. Truly, love is love! I'm already previewing Suede's Lickety Split and can't wait to buy it.
on November 16, 2016
Like oh my god you guys. this book was on FIRE. I love GFY stories, and this was a double GFY. For some reason this MM story had never come my way, until a friend recommended it to me. This book was a fun escape from reality, the beginning was a little bit too slow for me, but by the end I couldn't put the kindle down.

I may have also been using the fire emoji a lot when discussing this book.

Overall a fun break from reality! Just don't read it in public :P
on July 28, 2015
I had heard GREAT things about this book. I was encouraged to read it from several fellow M/M readers. I kept hearing things like "It's so hot" and "It's so sexy". I was bored for the first half of the book. Now I know you're thinking "she just likes to read a lot of sex," that's not it. It took over half the book for the 2 MCs (who are as close as brothers) to actually talk about their feelings. It felt like reading about teen girls "does he like me? If so, does he like me like I like him?" I ended up finishing the book because it came so highly recommended. Now, on a positive note, I found the story (what little there was of it) to be unique, the sex was kinda hot, and one of the MCs is a tall red head (I love tall red heads).

*****

POV ... 3rd person

Stand alone or series... Stand alone

Would I recommend it ... maybe

Did it give me a book hangover... no

Would I read it again ... eh, maybe
on January 11, 2012
I bought this book partially because of all the hype surrounding it. I read it in two days.

Things I liked:

-Griff was a wonderful character. He's someone I'd love to know in person. I adored his sensitive side.
-Once the story sped up I was kept relatively entertained.
-The erotic scenes were enjoyable to read.

Things I didn't like:

-Dante annoyed me. It wasn't that I didn't like him, but his lack of maturity throughout the book grated on my nerves and I couldn't get the connection that Griff felt for him.
-The authors constant references to Griff being larger than most men. It was alright at first, but I thought it was a tad much after the few few chapters to keep referencing it. We get it. He's a "gentle giant".
-I don't like storylines with the whole "gay for you only" scenario. This is a personal preference of mine, but I managed to overlook it.

All in all this is a good book. If you're a fan of MM you should check this one out. And while I did have some issues with this book, It was a good read.
on June 3, 2015
This was my first read by Mr. Suede. I snatched it up as part of Dreamspinner's mega $1.00 sale, and it's hands down one of the steamiest and sexiest M/M romances I've come across! Erotic to the core! I'm so in love with gay for you storylines, but sadly, not all are created equal. Mr. Suede has crafted an engaging tale with great characters.

Griffin and Dante were the perfect pair. I think had this story been written from dual perspectives, it would've been even hotter. Overall, the pacing, the characters, the premise, all great. Total thumbs up.

The only thing that drove me nuts was the repetitive use of "scarab eyes" and the reader not having any insight into Dante's feelings until the latter part of the book. I mean nothing until we're 75% in?! Bah! Despite these minor things, this was a fantastic read. Well done Mr. Suede! Looking forward to reading more from you.
on July 29, 2017
I really want a sequel to this story, I want more about these two, it was that good, pleas please. If you like mm romance you must pick this book for your collection it is so worth it, Griff and DANTE are beautiful together, their story evolved beautifully, the author crafted a delish pasionate story of friends to lovers, I love those my kink is gay for you i.e one straight friend and well, those that read mm know what I mean. So if Damon could write a second book about these boy's we'd all gobble up.