Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on May 23, 2013
On first use, I put in a full cup of popcorn, which is what the printed instructions said (it seemed like a lot) only to have the popper start smoking. I shut it off, took the popcorn out, and noticed that the rim of the popper said not to use more than 1/2 C. I took out 1/2 the popcorn, and it was fine. Basically a full 1 Cup was just too much weight. That's fine, but for those of us who read the manual first, it's a pretty major misprint.

Once we fixed that issue, though, the popper was fast, the popcorn is good, and there were very few unpopped kernels.
121 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on December 28, 2012
I love this popper. It's my 2nd in 2 years and I will continue to buy them for as long as needed. The last one had to be replaced because our moving company was not so graceful in packing... different story for another time. This popper is quick and efficient and never fails to produce awesome popcorn ever time!

Like like some have said in their negative reviews, kernels may go flying all over the place if you're not careful. This situation is actually *very* avoidable. Please pay attention to the -size- of the kernels you purchase. Cheap, generic brands generally yield a cheap, generic kernel that is rather small and very light. These undersized kernels will ride around in the air designed to push the popped corn out of the chute and fly right out because they don't have enough heft to fall back down. Once the kernels pop, the heavier kernels have more surface volume and can then easily ride the air out of the chute.

Don't believe me? Try it for yourself. Grab a generic bag of kernels and a bag of more quality kernels and compare the two. You'll be able to see a difference in the size and uniformity between the two.
135 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
on January 30, 2014
We got our Popcorn popper for Christmas this past year (2013). We used it on average 4-5x per week. The popcorn always came out great with only 5-6 unpopped kernels, but just last week the blower burned out and the kernels got burned. I contacted the company who sold it through Amazon.com (Tommy Discount) over the phone and because there is a one year warranty they shipped me a new one without question. So I would rank the popper machine as 3 stars but Tommy Discount's customer service definitely gets 5 stars!
30 people found this helpful
on November 13, 2013
Great little hot air popper! Popcorn is tasty and so light. One thing I don't like is that it has no on/off switch so you just simply plug in and pull the plug when it's done, seeing that disconcerting little arc inside the switch. :-(
24 people found this helpful
on October 14, 2013
Measured 1/2 cup of Orville Redenbacher Popcorn, put the measuring lid back in place and plugged in the machine. I stood off to the side to make sure no unpopped corn did not land on me. Only one kernel popped out that didn't land in the bowl. And that little guy was the only one that did not pop! I ended up with a HUGE bowl of popcorn so be sure to use the biggest bowl you've got unless you use less than 1/2 cup. If you buy the reliable Orville popcorn, 1/4 to 1/3 cup is plenty for one person. If you're starving, measure out the entire 1/2 cup and pig out!
65 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on October 19, 2013
So inexpensive, yet works great...pops kernels quickly and doesn't leave many kernels behind. :-). I highly recommend this popcorn popper--great value
35 people found this helpful
on January 20, 2016
I bought this back two years ago, Feb 2014. Sad to say it died today, but in a strange way. It just...stopped. The blower stopped blowing, but it was still plugged in. I emptied the popcorn and kernels from the machine, and smoke began to issue from the blower vent inside. Not billowing clouds, but enough for me to run outside with it before it set off the smoke detectors.

So, after 2 years of faithful service, and lots and lots of bowls of popcorn, it finally kicked the ol' popcorn bucket. The reason for the failure is still a bit of a mystery for me. Maybe some of the chaff from the popcorn got into the blower and clogged it over time? I'll dismantle it and update this review with my findings. The blower motor failed, yes, which shut it off, but, was it really "off", or was it just letting current cook through its wires? This seems to present some sort of safety concern, but, as quickly as this thing pops popcorn, it would require negligence on the part of the owner for it to get to that point. You just shouldn't leave this thing alone.
on October 12, 2015
Very easy to use and does an okay job. Shoots out a fair bit of kernels, and they go flying all over the place but you get a decent amount of popcorn using the cup on top of the discharge chute. I'm not real crazy about hot air popcorn because I like to put salt on the popcorn, and have it stick. My blood pressure is almost perfect, so I don't worry about putting some salt on my popcorn. Don't use butter or anything else, just salt. I've heard/read you can spritz the popcorn in the bowl before putting on the salt to get it to stick, so maybe I'll try that. If that doesn't work, I'm gong back to the whirly bird type popcorn popper and use coconut oil (just a tiny bit) to put just enough dampness on the popcorn to get the salt to stick. It's an okay unit but for $20 I can get the stainless steel whirly bird I can use on my PIC. Otherwise, if I had a regular stove top (gas or electric), I'd use a cast iron pot and just shake, shake, shake like in the "old days". Sometime newer, isn't always better.
on February 1, 2015
I am so happy with this purchase!! It's perfect, use the measuring cup to get the right amount if kernels, put a large bowl under the chute and plug it in. Simple! I've read some reviews that said the kernels fly all over the place or that the lid/cup melted from the hot air...but I have not experienced that all! The one and only thing I would change about it would be to add an On/Off switch. Even without that, I love it!
review image
6 people found this helpful
on January 13, 2016
My husband and I fight about this thing all the time. Really. Every time I consider out loud buying a new appliance, like a food processor or a waffle maker, he says, "Not until you get rid of the popcorn machine." or "why do you need that?" or "so dumb!" But I don't care, I love it anyway. I know I can make popcorn on the stove, in a pot. But I don't want to. I want to air pop it and then add the oil, not waste it in the pot where I won't taste it. Besides, it's so exciting when the kernels start shooting out and you get to chase them all over the kitchen! In all seriousness, it works well. You need to have already room-temp butter for it to melt in the top in the same time it takes to pop your corn, but I have a butter dish that I leave out all the time so that's fine. It works better with coconut oil. It doesn't have an on/off switch but who cares. All this talk about popcorn, I think I'm gonna have to go make some. Did I mention I love it?