Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 116 reviews
on February 17, 2016
This is Kiss in a try hard mode but never quite reaching the heights of previous '80's albums. Sure there were several attempts at hits but only one was successful - that being the Stanley/Bolton ballad "Forever".
It is a very uneven disc with the Stanley songs outshining the Simmons songs be some margin. Further, if ever there was a Kiss track here that should have been released as a single but was passed over it was the Stanley written "Silver Spoon".
Of note here in the Stanley co written "Hide Your Heart" which also appeared the Frehley album "Trouble Walkin" released at the same time,it is amazing the difference in them with Frehley's interpretation by far the better
on September 29, 2008
H.I.T.S. is a refreshing change from the copy-cat 80's metal of Animalize-Crazy Nights, full of great riffs and cinematic lyrics.

This is probably my most listened to KISS album as it was constantly in my Walkman from 1996-1998, when I was being introduced to the world of KISS and always kept me entertained.

The best part about the album is the stories of the songs themselves, that get you very involved. Songs like "Hide Your Heart", "Cadillac Dreams" and the forgotten "King of Hearts" are very visual in their lyrical descriptions and musical tone.

Of course "Forever" is a classic and "Rise To It" pulls no punches in its direct rock n' roll riffs.

Personal favorites include: "Silver Spoon", "King of Hearts" and "Betrayed".

My only criticism of the album is that KISS seems to have gotten lazy on writing lyrics for 15 songs so they added a lot of "Na-Na-Na's" "Hey-Hey's" and "Doo-Doo-Doo's".

Overall the album is fun, rock music that doesn't take itself too seriously and embody's the party-hearty spirit KISS is known for.
on October 23, 2015
Now I'm Going To Review One Of My favorite Kiss Albums 1989's Hot In The Shade The Last Album To Feature Eric Carr On Drums And This Album Features Drum Machines On Two Songs I'll Let You Know When We Get To Those Songs And This Album Features The Return Of Vini Poncia Who Receives Writing Credits For 5 Songs And The First Kiss Album To Feature Tommy Thayer As He Writes Two Songs On Here.

#1 "Rise To It" - A Great Song A Really Good Way To Start The Album And I love The Cool Bluesy Guitar Intro Witch Live They Extended. Score 5/5

#2 "Betrayed" - Another Great Song And The First Of Two Tommy Thayer Co-writes With Gene Simmons And He Also Playes On The Song Along With Bruce Kulick. Score 5/5

#3 "Hide Your Heart" - A Great Song I Love Hide Your Heart Easily One Of The Best Kiss Songs Ever. Score 5/5

#4 "Prisoner Of Love" - Another Really Good Song And The First of Two Co Writes By Bruce Kulick My Favorite Part Is Probably The Chorus Or Bruce's Guitar Solo. Score 4/5

#5 "Read My Body" - Another Song I Actually Really Like Even Though Most kiss fans Hate This Song This Song Was Paul Stanley's Attemp At Creating A Pour Some Sugar On Me Type Song. Score 4/5

#6 "Love's A Slap In The Face" - This Song Is A Drum Machine And The First Writing Credit By Vini Poncia, I Agree With Bruce Kulick On The Song Its Not A Bad Song But I Cant Get Past The Drum Machine. Score 2/5

#7 "Forever" - A Really Awesome Song The Best On The Record And Easily One Of The Top 3 Kiss Songs Of All Time, Co Written By Michael Bolton, This Song Is Such A Beautiful Ballad. Score 6/5 (That's How Great It Is)

#8 "Silver Spoon" - Another Great Song One Of My Favorite Kiss Songs, Another Vini Poncia Co Write This Time With Paul. Score 5/5

#9 "Cadillac Dreams" - A Song I Don't Care For And That's The Same Thing Bruce Kulick Says, The Third Vini Poncia Co Write. Score 1/5

#10 "King Of Hearts" - I Love This Song Another One Of My Favorite Kiss Songs, The Fourth Vini Poncia Co Write. Score 5/5

#11 "The Street Giveth And The Street Taketh Away" - I Actually Like This Song, The Last Tommy Thayer Co write On This Album. Score 3.5/5

#12 "You Love Me To Hate You" - Another Song I Actually Like, Kevin Valentine On Drums. Score 3.5/5

#13 "Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell" - Another Drum Machine And According To Bruce Kulick This Song Might Have A Bass Sample but I Actually Don't Mind This Song, The Last Vini Poncia Co Writing Credit. Score 2.5/5

#14 "Little Caesar" - I Like This Song And Eric Carr's Lead Vocal Debut On His Own Song Although He Did Sing On The Remake Of Beth From Smashes Thrashes And Hits And The Only One's To Play On This Song Are Bruce Kulick And Eric Carr. Score 4/5

#15 "Boomerang" - The Bands Take At Thrash Metal Not To Bad And Bruce Kulicks Second Co Writing Credit This Song Close The Album Good. Score 3.5/5 Stars
I Really Love This Album Easily In My Top 5 Favorite Kiss Albums. And This Is The Last Album to Feature My Favorite Kiss Lineup Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Bruce Kulick (My Favorite Guitarist), And Eric Carr (One Of The Best Drummers Ever)
on August 16, 2014
Rise to it, Hide your heart, Forever, and more make this album a must have. There are 15 songs on this album. I give it a 5 because this album just rocks. Music is felt and tapping my foot while listening to this album is a sure sign these songs are good. I'll admit though that the song Read my body is hard to listen to you; however, the rest has great riffs, Bruce Kulick really shines with his solo on Forever and his fast pace straight up solo on Boomerang. Overall, there are some great tunes on this album - too bad that this album gets the rap it does because of a few loud complainers in the KISS Army.

The Hot in the Shade tour was one of their best tour in the 80s and the musicianship that Bruce and Eric brought made them a better live act. Paul and Gene could let loose knowing that had Bruce and Eric were always going to bring it musically.
on December 10, 2010
Hot in the Shade is the 15th studio album by Kiss. released in 1989. It was certified Gold on December 20, 1989 by the RIAA. It is the first Kiss studio album since 1981's Music from "The Elder" to feature three members singing lead on the album. It also marked the last Kiss album with drummer Eric Carr before his death in 1991.
Featuring 15 songs, Hot in the Shade contains the largest amount of material of any of Kiss's studio albums. Consequently, the album is also one of the band's longest, with a running time of nearly a full hour (58:39).
Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley appeared in Kiss makeup for the first time since their 1983 unmasking in the video for "Rise to It." Although the scene with Gene and Paul in makeup took place in 1975, the costumes they used were historically inaccurate; Gene's was from the Unmasked (1980) era while Paul's was from Love Gun (1977).
Kiss performed the song "Hide Your Heart" on their 1990 Hot in the Shade tour, which followed this album. Stanley would once again perform the song during his 2006-2007 Live to Win solo tour.
Aside from "Forever", a constant fixture on the band's live performances, the album has been largely ignored on live shows following the reunion of the original lineup in the mid-1990s.
DEF RECOMMENDED
on March 28, 2013
I had bought this CD on March 8, 2013. "Hide Your Heart" AND "Forever" were the songs that I was most familiar with. It is one of their LONGEST studio albums, that feature 15 songs. It is also approx. 58 minutes long. I'm going to offer my viewpoint on each of these songs, as follows:

1. "Rise To It"...Pretty good album opener & I like it.

2. "Betrayed"...This song has a good message to it & I like it.

3. "Hide Your Heart"...This song rec'd some radio airplay, but it wasn't a huge hit like "Forever" was. This is one of my favorite songs on this album, even if the meaning ISN'T that uplifting.

4. "Prisoner Of Love"...This song grew on me, real fast, & now I like it.

5. "Read My Body"...This song can remind me of "Keep Me Comin", from 1982's "Creature's Of The Night" album, because of it's meaning & it's tempo. And I like this song, too.

6. "Love's A Slap In The Face"...I like this song...it's pretty good.

7. "Forever"...This song was the Top 40 hit single, reaching #8 in February 1990. THIS song reminds me of their previous & MINOR hit from 1987..."Reason To Live". I love BOTH of these songs, EQUALLY.

8. "Silver Spoon"...I like this song, it's pretty good.

9. "Cadillac Dreams"...This is a real good song about money & dreams. Kind of comical @ times & enjoyable, for sure.

10. "King Of Hearts"...Decent song, which I like quite well.

11. "The Street Giveth & The Street Taketh Away"...Note how the "HEY Man" part sounds a lot like David Bowie's 1972 song titled "Suffragette City". This song, by Kiss, is pretty good.

12. "You Love Me To Hate You"...An odd song & title, but I really think this song is DECENT. Silly, but true...but I think that Ozzy Osbourne OR EVEN Alice Cooper could be GOOD on this song.

13. "Somewhere Between Heaven & Hell"...this song is pretty good.

14. "Little Caesar"...Passable song!

15. "Boomerang"...I like this song.

NOTE: I really LIKE this album TITLE "Hot In The Shade"...I only wish that Kiss recorded a SONG of the SAME name. I think it's a decent album & I would recommend it, definitely!
on September 3, 2012
"Hot in the Shade" by KISS, which was issued in 1989, closed the chapter in their glorious history. Two years after this album came out their talented and gifted drummer - Eric Carr died of cancer. Another great LP "Revenge" paid a tribute to him.
According to me the music from "Hot in the Shade" is a big but positive and nice surprise. In general, I prefer "Hot in The Shade" to "Crazy nights" (one of their previous records). Morever I guess it is almost on equal terms with "Revenge". Listening to the music from "Hot in the Shade" just once is not enough. One should play this disc more times to be inspired by this. When you try to listen to it three and more times you should get more and more into this music. I would like to share my experience with other fans here. At first the music did not attract my attention at all, excluding the tracks: "Forever" and "Betrayed". At first rehearsal, they seemed the best of all tracks. I got also an impression that the other songs were dull and boring. However when I was listening to entire album over and over again, more songs actually became my favourite. Among them I could mention: "Rise to it", "Prisoner of love", "Love's slap in the face", "Somewhere between heaven and hell", "Little Caesar". The valuable contributors to this music production were Eric Carr (I love the sound of drums he used to make) and Bruce Kulick (solo guitarist, probably of Polish origin. It is worth mentioning as I am Polish. In addition, Gene Simmons did his best to create this fabolous piece of music.
on September 25, 2009
I cannot consider myself as a KISS fan, but I grow up drawing their make ups in my notebooks when I was five. Hot in the shade isn't my favorite recording of KISS, I like better Revenge, Unmasked, Destroyer, Unplugged... but Hot in the shade contains two or tree songs very good, the another ones not famous but very clear production, nice melodies and good lyrics.
on May 20, 2017
Good price.
on February 19, 2017
First one delivered was pressed incorrectly and played too fast. Replacement came and sounds excellent.