Hot Shot ~ Expanded Edition / Karen Young
|Listen Now with Amazon Music|
|Amazon Music Unlimited|
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Digitally remastered and expanded edition of this 1978 album from the Disco/Soul vocalist. Hot Shot comes complete with liner notes and added bonus content making this BBR remaster a must have for all Disco, R&B, Funk and Soul fans out there.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
2. WHERE IS HE 6:01
3. BABY YOU AIN'T NOTHING WITHOUT ME 6:54 *
4. HOT SHOT 8:41
5. GOD KNOWS I'M JUST A WOMAN 4:23
6. BEAU 4:05
7. BRING ON THE BOYS (12" Jim Burgess Disco Mix) 7:22
8. BABY YOU AIN'T NOTHING WITHOUT ME (12" Jim Burgess Disco Mix) 7:22
9. HOT SHOT (12" Instrumental Version) 8:24 **
10. WHERE IS HE (Long Version, Previously Unreleased) 6:59
11. BRING ON THE BOYS (Long Version, Previously Unreleased) 8:33
12. HOT SHOT (Long SIngle Version) 4:25
Karen Young's "Hot Shot" ranks with Musique's "In The Bush" as a true naughty disco classic; fun, free and outrageous. A flashing disco was the perfect venue to let loose and revel in this 'sophisticated' scandal of self-expression. Karen's enthusiastic delivery and jazz-scat vocals were like nothing else in clubs at the time, and the song's prowling tension and syncopated anxiety still create a nervous expectation that belie its classy brass and keyboard orchestration. Oh, yes, still hot! after all these years.
This re-release offers the original album in order, followed by fantastic, long awaited extras. The album is a nice set of music, with great dance songs (such as the under appreciated "Baby You Ain't Nothing Without Me"), the surprising restraint of "Where Is He," and an urgent Tin Pan Alley/gospel steamer in "God Knows I'm Just A Woman." "Beau," a sad song, ends the album well, with a sincere maturity that lifts it above the often silly disco balladry that seemed so obligatory in the late 70's.
BBR brings this album back and adds many terrific extras. The remastered sound is superb. The extensive liner notes by Christian John Wikane deliver a tremendous history of the song, the album and the lady, Karen Young. Writer and producer Andy Kahn was interviewed for the project and provides wonderful background information and history. Thank you, BBR.
* Small matter: There are several discrepancies between the use of "Nothin'" and "Nothing," dating back to the original vinyl album and 12" singles. This CD reissue continues the dubious tradition, using "Nothing," except in Christian John Wikane's liner notes. Yes, a small matter.
** Track 9 is the Instrumental Version from Side B of the original "Hot Shot" 12" single. On this CD release, the back cover incorrectly indicates "12" Jim Burgess Disco Mix," while the inside liner notes correctly list it as the instrumental.