Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Hot Tuna
Format: Audio CD|Change

on December 21, 2016
The older tunes were played here immaculately. That's why I bought the album, for the two Gary Davis covers, but there are other gems and some original tunes, as well.

It's just good, solid, unplugged music, and not all is in that older style. There are some tunes that marched right up to the bleeding edge of the time album was recorded.
on July 17, 2017
There is nothing as pleasing as the sound of musicians who know what they are doing. Hot Tuna is comprised of musical craftsman and they are probably at there best during this time. This CD is very pleasing to the ear and to the soul.
on August 11, 2009
Modern acoustic blues just don't get better than this. Want to hear some butt-kicking blues finger-picking? Here it is. Kaukonen's playing is sparkling and yet has that bluesy edge to it: Not TOO perfect. The tempo-breaks are amazing; these guys were locked-in. The fact the they could do all this live is amazing. The remastered recording sounds really great. You get to hear how good a bassist Casady is as well. Scarlett's harp playing is very good as well.

When I listen to Kaukonen's playing on this record, I'm torn between too strong urges: One to go home and woodshed until I can play some this stuff; and the other to go home and burn my guitars cause I'll never get there. Kaukonen need take a backseat to no one in finger-picking blues.

This is (truly) great music. The music is old to begin with; These renditions are just as great and relevant as the day they were recorded. If you like blues, this record must be in your collection. To me this sounds seminal: The peak sound of the white boys playin' the acoustic blues and doing their best to sound like the old black fellas in the Delta (and elsewhere.)

I can also highly recommend Geoff Muldaur's The Secret Handshake:
Secret Handshake

And also, for electric blues by a white-boy: Hindu Love Gods:
Hindu Love Gods
on November 19, 2015
Great music from some great musicians. The bass player and the lead guitarist from Jefferson Airplane clicked so well together their style became a main part of the San Fransisco sound.
This has them playing acoustic basically. Singing and a jammin' to their hearts content. This music sends you back in time, then turns around and shots you to the future. Gice this double cd a listen. Your ears will thank you!!!
on September 6, 2014
This has to be one of the best live albums ever recorded. With its genus in the Jefferson Airplane's "Bless Its Pointed Little Head", this set explores the gamut of acoustic folk blues performed by two of the most accomplished musicians of our time. Say Amen, Brother! Thank the remastering for placing Jack's bass on equal footing. What a master. For one better, go see them live. Yowza!
on December 1, 2009
Having decided to recreate a library of some of my favorite "lost" music I worked my way down my list to Hot Tuna. I just put it on, and realized this should have been at the very top of my list. It remains an excellent selection of music performed almost impossibly well. When this album was released I was service manager in a Hi Fi store, and I had very fine equipment at home. I remember how well pressed and quiet that vinyl was, the recording quality so fine, the dynamic range so good I considered it one of the ultimate test albums for customers equipment. (Not MY copy, mind you!)

This is a good remastering, good bonus tracks.

Before I had finished listening to this album I ordered my next "lost" music album, "Super Session". Hope it is as good as this.
on August 27, 2016
This Hot Tuna album is a great piece of blues that fuses traditional feel with the more modern era that they came out of. But I really love it for the harmonica of Will Scarlett.
on September 12, 2017
A classic of old blues tunes in fingerstyle guitar. The album is worth it just for "Hesitation Blues".
on February 10, 2017
This is all you want it to be. Yes the sound on most of it is just great. Just love so many Tuna songs.
on February 20, 2015
It doesn't get any better than this. I have owned this in some form or another since 1971. The songs the guitar playing is fantastic, it takes you back.