Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Price:$149.99+ $6.47 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 438 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 532 reviews
on February 28, 2015
This maker is the best non-electronic toy on the market! Although it kinda is as you need to plug it in and it talks to you, guiding you thru the steps. Reminds me of the old Mattel Strange Change Machine, Incredible Edibles or Creepy Crawlers. They tried to remake these great toys of the past with lamo politically correct versions that had whimpy light bulbs and non-toxic material and just ruined them.

But this one hits the mark! There is a real heating element in these insulated by the case so you feel no real heat. (AKA- no chance to get burnt) The wax sticks are not really wax as I was dreading but some kind of low heat soluble polymer. Yet no real smell when cooking them up. When the do come out you really have to stick your nose up to the cars to smell them - and they smell good ! I mean these things look like something you would buy in a store, not make at home! Really professional!

The first car came out a solid color but addition cars have a tie dye look at the very end, so if you do it right you can pick a complimentary color for next in line. As far as breaking and sticking I had none of those problems, but I did supervise as my daughter jammed a stick in the wrong way and trying to force the molds in the wrong way. As long as you take your time and do it correctly it works perfectly!

We spent some time figuring out why the door wouldn't close. It says "close door" and "push strait button". But it doesn't tell u you need to hold the door closed while you push the start button to lock it. After that we just went to town. Really cool and fun! I had to kind of bring it out and say let's try this to get my daughter interested as she hasn't opened it from Christmas. But once she saw it working she couldn't get enough. Now I guess I'm on the hook for refills and additional molds. Lol. But I love I it as much as my 10 year old.
review image
on December 28, 2013
My boys LOVED this car maker. They learned all about injection molding and had a fabulous time Christmas morning making cars. They don't actually get to do too much of the process because the maker does most of it, but they didn't mind at all. This was all they wanted to do on Christmas morning...until it BROKE not once, but twice. My son learned that if you don't load the wax sticks point first, two wax points will end up touching inside the first chamber and slip off of each other when you're trying to press the sticks in. This creates a jam of two sticks stuck in the first chamber and no way to push them into the melting chamber. The jam occurred where you can't easily access the sticks, so it took a long time for my engineer husband to fix the problem. Sure, my son should have loaded the wax with the point first, but this is a toy for kids--Mattel should have anticipated things like wax jams would happen and at least create parental access to the chamber or at least make it harder for a wax jam to occur. The wax sticks have tiny tips--it really isn't apparent the tip should go in first. Lesson learned.

So, the first jam was repaired by my handy husband who designs things for a living. My kids proceeded to make a half dozen more cars when the car maker broke...again. Who knows what's wrong with it this time. My husband says he'll look at it later because the last repair sucked up an afternoon. This toy should be more durable. I don't spend $40 anticipating a toy will last an afternoon. I was also lucky enough to find wax refills, so I dumped $25 on those, plus $10 on another mold set. In total, I spent $75 on a toy that lasted a day. Not good, Mattel.

Also, Amazon won't let me return the car maker because I purchased it at the end of October from their Holiday Toy List for my kids for Christmas. What that Holiday Toy List didn't mention was that Amazon's Christmas return policy of a January 31 return deadline didn't start until November 1st. So even though I purchased the item from their Holiday Toy List that was out at the end of October and didn't give the toy to my kids until Christmas, I am unable to return it because 30 days has passed from my purchase date. Thanks, Amazon.
on January 14, 2015
It's like when you get the cheap razor but are stuck paying for the expensive refills. I got this dirt cheap after Christmas not realizing how expensive the refills are. You'll blow through the entire set this comes with in an afternoon if you get into it, then you're stuck paying $10-20 for every refill kit. It's fun, and the cars come out are really nice quality -- much better than I was expecting for wax (it's more like a plasticized wax). If money were no object and you can by a bunch of refills (and other molds, because you only get 2 in this set), it's really fun.
on December 29, 2016
My son likes this toy because it never broke but the one we got at walmart did.

Update-Upgraded my review to Two Stars because one mold was for the waste in 3 years
Maybe the the Street Muscle Mold Pack was a waste of money on this toy.
on August 20, 2015
My son (who is 5) ABSOLUTELY loves this thing! He really loved waiting and listening to all the sounds, pulling down the lever, sticking on the stickers, and placing it onto the chassis. I wish that there were more chassis, as there are tons more of the plastic stuff to make more than three. Overall, a great toy for someone who loves cars and loves crafty projects!
on January 7, 2014
From my son's perspective: awesome fun, cool to do, easy to create, neat sounds and music.

From Mom's perspective: louder than it needs to be (like every toy on the planet), could have come with more wax and stickers for that price, but overall a good toy and I'm glad my son loves it.
on March 14, 2017
This was on my grandson's 'wish list'.
It looked like it will be fun.
He was very happy to get it.
on July 14, 2015
Grandkid loved it...until cars were made and novelty wore off. Then you either buy refills, or this toy goes to the messy toy closet with the others that you have to buy refills for. Fun, but a little pricey.
on December 2, 2014
My 7 yrs old son loves this! It takes some time to build a car so he enjoys playing at home when raining. I also got one for his BF for x mas present. Keep an eye on the price cause it dropped around 30 !
on April 2, 2017
I bought this used but description said it came with ten wax sticks and it only came with 7 sticks and missing decals.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.