Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell Novels)
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on July 24, 2011
I love Alex Kava and have been reading her books since the inception of the Maggie O'Dell series. I couldn't quite get into this book. It took me over a week to read it and it failed to capture my attention. I was bored with both competing story lines, the kids in the woods and the whole USDA storyline. I will say that her past few books have been dissapointing for me. I liked the days when Maggie actually did her job as an FBI profiler and chased serial killers. Lately her involvement in government conspiriacies have failed to capture this characters previous excitement. The old Maggie was flawed, but lovable. I loved her previous relationship with Nick Morrelli and did not quite understand why the relationship faltered, but Ben Platt is slowly starting to grow on me. I still love Alex Kava, but I'm hoping that future books will allow Maggie to get back to her roots.
on June 16, 2015
Interesting plot but feels rushed through at the end. Some loose ends. The author provides so much information about secondary characters throughout the book but it's not clear what exactly happened to the main character. It's very frustrating.

Spoiler

Maggie was saved from being shot by a dog, but what happened after the dog bit an attacker? Maggie is injured, practically half-conscious, and alone with too bad guys (one hogtied, another bitten by a dog). How did she get out of there? How the dog found her? What was going on in that lab?
on September 24, 2014
Did not care for this one. I love Alex Kava and I've read all the Maggie O'Dell books from the beginning. That said this is like another world. Many people have covered the story line so I won't to that again here. I will say, if this is the first Maggie O'Dell book you've read and you don't like it.......please try another one! They are truly very good and this book is an aberration.
on September 4, 2014
Great read. In this book we have kids doing drugs in a field seeing strange lights. One of them ends up wrapped in barbed wire. We also have mutilated cattle turning up on farmers fields. The eyes ears and insides are gone. Taken by some unknown person. Two investigators and two separate crimes in two different places. It ends up one amazing read.
on June 1, 2012
This was the first time I have read an Alex Kava novel and I must say I am impressed, the writing style flows elegantly and with enough pace to make it an exciting page turner. The character were well developed and I really like the way each chapter alternates showing the two sides of the story, with the whole picture gradually coming into focus. I would highly recommend this, I can't wait to read the authors other books. Top marks.
on May 3, 2014
I read all the previous books right in a row, then took a break for a bit. I enjoyed coming back to Maggie O'Dell. It was another suspenseful mystery. I do wish we learned a bit more of the "why" and not just who the bad guy was. I also missed Gwen and Tully!! Never the less, I still enjoyed it very much. I am going to order her next book in the series now.
on September 17, 2014
This was a strange novel to comment on. Firstly the two plot-lines in different states connected only by the protagonists' on-again off-again romance. Why wasn't it (they) developed more fully into two stand alone stories? Platt's part of the novel seemed like a strange sort of optional extra added on as an afterthought to pad out O'Dell's part. Like adding cheap chrome wheel trims to spruce up a boring motor vehicle.

All the convoluted stuff about laser weapons and kids chomping on salvia and cattle mutilations all seemed too contrived and, well, fictional -- just setups to build some sort of plot around. Most of the characters, other than O'Dell and Platt were nothing more than cookie-cutter standards, and it was difficult to figure out if they were just harmless good ol' boys or really devious enemies. I did finish the book (by scanning the last 50 pages) but as the denouement approached, the basics of the plot got weaker to the point of absurdity, with far too many coincidental holes to accept as credible.

And I apologise for being a pedantic Aussie, but Ms Kava should know that a koala is NOT a member of the bear family -- as claimed twice when mentioning the kid's favourite soft toy. It's an aboriginal word that describes a herbivorous marsupial. A 30-second Google check would've confirmed this minor but glaring error of research not well carried out.
on June 3, 2012
This is the third book I have read now by Alex Kava and I think the best one so far. The author has an excellent narrative style and after reading 'Damaged' I was hooked on the Maggie O'Dell series.

This novel is set in Nebraska, which is excellently described, I could visualize the scenes perfectly. The level of suspense is just right and the story development structured to keep you always interested right to the end. For any of you who have never read the books in this series, grab one now, I am steadily working my way through them.
on August 15, 2011
I love Alex Kava and Maggie O'Dell. This book was a scam, a total disappointment. There was so little plot, so little interest. Almost as if it was a bridge between 2 REAL books. I will surely buy her next book, but not based on this one. I hope the next one will be back to her usual writing.
on June 4, 2012
I loved this book. Alex Kava never disappoints me. I love her Maggie O'Dell character. HOTWIRE takes place in Nebraska which is Kava's state of expertise. Vivid descriptions of the western part of the state make you feel like you are in the Sandhills. I always wish that the stories were longer, but thankfully she writes a book a year. We need more Maggie O'Dell - she's a great protagonist. Can't wait for Kava's next, FIREPROOF. I highly recommend Alex Kava - from the beginning...