Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 92 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 120 reviews
on September 4, 2010
I've been an atheist for more years than I care to remember, although I've never had anything against sincere faith of most natures, most of it turns me off with the ear bashing they tend to give others.

Christian Rock, for me, tends to fall into this category, along with its mostly saccharine vile vulgarity, I wouldn't give it house room, no, street room.

I got the track, "The House You're Building" as a freebie, so I gave it a listen. While I could see it was Christian Music, it was too good sounding to delete, and I found myself clicking, and clicking again. LOL, like a guilty secret, or chocolate at the back of the fridge. Had to buy the album, didn't I?

So, I eventually bought the blessed thing, and a blessed thing is it. I'm not ever going to be a convert, but if more Christians went around with the plain, simple beautiful sentiment that runs through every line of this gorgeous record, there would be fewer people outside than in.

Every track is good, personal favourites are THYB, and "Restless", but then, young Audrey finishes off the album with maybe the most beautiful conjoinment of words and music I've heard for thirty years. The simply stunning, "Show Me" is music of the very highest order, and sung like an angel. The words would melt the heart of the hardest rude boy, the timing of the singing is pluperfect and the musicality of the voice peerless.

The search for spirituality within the words and music are as universal as the muezzin calling the holy to prayer, it is that powerful. To my ears, more beautiful.

That all this is done by a youngster of 27 is just mind blowing. My word, we are going to be hearing more of Audrey Assad.

Yeah, and crusty old atheist me will be first in line to buy the record.

This is a brilliant, brilliant album, on any level. The playing and the singing is superb, the music is great and the words are surely something that would make anyone stop and think for a bit.

brendan
2424 comments| 195 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2015
I was first introduced to this artist by my 16-yr-old daughter when I asked her what that beautiful melody was that she was picking out on the piano. She was "Restless" by Audrey Assad. I liked it so well, I looked it up on You Tube and then started listening to more of her songs that had been put there. When I realized I liked several things off this same album, I decided to go ahead and buy it.

I don't like it when I buy a cd on the strength of one wonderful song only to find out that that one wonderful song was the only one I like. Definitely not the case here. My second time listening through, I paid careful attention to which songs I "really liked" and discovered all but two of them fall into that category, and even those two are fine songs. I would definitely recommend this album to people who like music with beautiful words that you can understand, beautiful melodies that get stuck in your head (and you don't mind it!) sung by a young lady with a beautiful voice. A little bit jazzy, a little bit folksy, an occasional touch of new aginess (I don't think that's a word).

And just to give you a frame of reference, I'm also a big fan of Bebo Norman and Big Daddy Weave.
on June 27, 2011
Yes, even a Godless heathen such as myself can recognize beautiful, moving music when I have the good fortune to hear it. I listen to a very wide variety of music and I love, love, love good female vocals. Audrey is absolutely amazing. Her range, her tonal quality, her timing... all impeccable.While I don't subscribe to formal religion, I do believe that each and every living soul has the inherent right to believe as they wish and seek out whatever makes them feel happy and fulfilled in this very limited time we have on earth.OK, enough of that. This album is well recorded if a tad over-produced.But honestly, it's all about Audrey's voice and song-writing that, for me, lift this CD way up above so many other artists out there today.I purchased this CD a few weeks ago and can't seem to get enough of it... of her. So pure, and clean, and emotionally impactful. While I love each of the songs, I am especially taken by the last cut... just Audrey, her piano, and a touch of harmonic voicing... gorgeous!
on April 2, 2016
As Audrey's first record label release, this one is not as polished as her later releases. Her signature vocals and heart-stirring lyrics are present, but the pop-y production drowns out that beauty. It took me many listens to realize how deep her lyrical content is because I heard radio pop and tuned out the real depth. Near the end of the album we get a taste of her future greatness when lighter piano and guitar take the stage.

I still highly recommend the album. Her songwriting and insight to the human heart it worth the price of admission. I just wish different choices had been made with arrangements.
on February 11, 2014
Audrey Assad has a unique and beautiful voice. Her music strikes me as true worship music because her lyrics and style of voice demonstrate humility. She is not a show-boater and appears to focus on the true purpose of her music - to worship our Lord and allow others to do it with her. She adds so much beauty to the words of her songs by the way she is able to quickly and so clearly move between the notes. He voice is soft, not overbearing and loud, and her pitch is so solid. She also uses some great metaphors to give her listeners a better, deeper understanding of the character our great God possesses. Also, the album provide s a nice balance between slow ballads and upbeat songs.
The only drawback is the instrumentation, or lack thereof. These days, too many artists rely on digital/electronic instruments. I believe she could take her music to a whole new level if she would incorporate more acoustics/real instruments. Sadly this is lacking in many artists today which makes their music all sound the same.
on December 12, 2010
As an avowed fan of Rich Mullins and Jars of Clay, I am constantly on the lookout for new singer-songwriters in that vein -- possessing the ability to freshly convey both the timelessless of biblical truth and the frailty of the human condition. I purchased this album, after hearing a free download (courtesy of Starbucks) of the title track. It ended up being hands-down my favorite CD buy of 2010, Christian or otherwise. And with Christmas just around the corner, you can bet Audrey's record will be nestled snugly in more than a few stockings.

Being a poet myself, I appreciate the poetry inherent in Audrey's songwriting. She manages to craft lyrics which bring new life to traditional spiritual metaphors, as well as evoking original imagery. Her voice is beautiful and her phrasing sensitive. Just as important, nearly every track is memorable, catchy, and easy to sing along with. Which explains why I keep popping it back into my car's audio system. As other reviewers have suggested, this isn't just good "Christian music"; it's uplifting music, period, with a broad appeal.

With such a mature and auspicious debut album, I can't wait to hear what else this new artist has in store. And of course, I am eager to hear Audrey perform live!
on October 20, 2016
Maybe it's because I found this album as I was finally finding a church where I felt I belonged and I was beginning to really feel strong in my faith for the first time in years, but I think this album will always have a special place in my heart. It's a beautiful, bubbly, often bittersweet look at faith in the midst of uncertainty. It is honest and real and has been there for me when I needed that positivity and focused reflection.
on September 2, 2010
"The House You're Building" is Audrey Assad's eleven song, 2010 debut release, on Sparrow Records. The album has been both, produced and arranged by the Los Angeles based producer/songwriter Marshall Altman. Marshall Altman has also produced a release for Contemporary Christian artist Bethany Dillon, among others. Marshall Altman also co-wrote with Audrey Assad, a song for the album, "Breaking Through". It is one of the strongest tracks on the album. It has a "Los Angeles Sound" of drums/percussion, piano/keyboards, and electric guitar riffs ("riffs" is a short term for refrain), all weaving in and out of the song, alongside of Audrey Assad's soaring vocals. The first single, "For Love of You" is a strong first release. The beautiful piano arrangement really sets the song apart. The lyrics speak of Audrey Assad's love for God, being the motivation for all she does in her life. The title track, "The House You're Building" is a song about wanting to live in the House God is building. The song is rich in theology. The point being that Jesus is the Cornerstone, and the people of the Church are the four walls of the House, and we all want to be part of the House He is building. The song also has an excellent melody with stirring instrumental and vocal arrangements and harmonies. Both the first single and the title track, Audrey Assad co-wrote with veteran, Nashville based, songwriter/producer, Ben Glover. Along with the already mentioned "Breaking Through", both "For Love of You", and "The House You're Building" are among the strongest songs on the album. Other standout songs include the songs Audrey Assad co-wrote with Phillp Larue. With his sister, Natalie LaRue, Phillip LaRue made up the Contemporary Christian group, LaRue. Phillip Larue also co-wrote "I'm All Yours", with another Catholic artist, Rachael Lampa for her "Kaleidoscope" album. Anyways, the songs co-written with Phillip Larue are "Carry Me", "Known", and "Run Forward". There is a common lyrical theme running through all three of these songs. It is a theme of trusting in God through all the circumstances of our lives. Musically speaking, the three songs are characterized by drums/percussion, piano and keyboard arrangements, all rounded out by electric guitars and strings. Other wonderful songs include "Come Clean", co-written with Audrey Assad, Marc Byrd, And Sarah Hart. "Everything Is Yours" is a song Audrey Assad co-wrote with Steve Wilson, (who also co-wrote "Hold Us Together" with Matt Maher). It's a song about everything being in God's hands, and the need to trust Him in all things. "Everything Is Yours" is one of the best songs on the album. Audrey Assad also co-wrote a song with Matt Maher called "Restless". "Restless" borrows from St. Augustine's famous phrase, "Our hearts are restless, until they rest in You, O Lord". "The House You're Building" is an excellent mix of Christian lyrics wrapped around the theme of trusting in God. The music reflects the "Los Angeles Sound" of drums/percussion, beautiful piano/keyboard arrangements, along with electric guitar and string accompaniment. Audrey Assad's vocals soar over the instruments and arrangements. As for Audrey Assad's vocals, she simply has a great voice. She has a wide range, near perfect pitch, and excellent tone and dynamics. "The House You're Building" is one of the best Contemporary Christian albums of 2010, released by a Catholic artist. Janet Saccardi-UnityReconciliationRadio.
on February 14, 2012
I stumbled onto this young lady's work just recently. Years ago, I fell in love with the smooth sounds of Susan Ashton (who recently has made something of a return to music in the country realm, mostly in Texas), so when I heard the samples here, I thought "this sounds promising." I was right. Audrey's voice is mellow and smooth, with a haunting sound on many of these songs. Listening to her on several tracks had me almost in tears, her voice carrying a sound that produced a longing in me---sort of like the end of the most recent Narnia movie when Aslan is standing at the edge of "his country" and the children want to go there, but need to go back to England and they realize that they aren't going to get to come back---that sort of longing for heaven. Favorite songs of mine include "For Love of You," "Restless," "Carry Me" and "Show Me." At my church, we start each worship event with 5-10 minutes of silent prayer, reflection and meditation. I got Audrey's CD on Wednesday, and Sunday, I played "Show Me" during our opening time of reflection. What an amazing reflection of what Dietrich Bonhoeffer says is the core essence of the call of Jesus---a call to come and die. Audrey sings this plaintive and yet hopeful cry to "show me how to die." Get this CD!!
on March 26, 2013
I can't believe she's not topping the charts - this CD is just awesome!! She is a very deep writer, with incredible talent in putting music to the lyrics. We then saw her in concert thinking she would be the headliner - but ended up only singing a few songs opening for Tenth Avenue North...who we now love also!