Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 13 reviews
on November 23, 2008
This is a great companion book to "Million Dollar Consulting", Alan Weiss's best selling book on growing a consulting business. In "How to Acquire Clients", Weiss takes the reader step-by-step through the client acquisition process, using his theories, personal experiences, and anecdotes contributed by others.

My favorite chapter in this book is Chapter 1 - "Identifying Targets of Opportunity". In it, Weiss describes the three key ingredients to successful selling: 1) market need, 2) competency, and 3) passion. Where these three elements converge is the place where you, as the consultant, should be.

I also agree with Weiss's comments in Chapter 1 about being stuck in a "success trap". I have to admit that I have been happily wallowing in mine for many years, and just recently started looking for new avenues of growth.

The entire book is a joy to read. I found my self nodding my head over and over again as I was reading it.

If you are an established consultant, or just thinking about starting your own consulting business, then you should read this book.

Mitch Paioff, Author, Getting Started as an Independent Computer Consultant

Getting Started as an Independent Computer Consultant
on December 8, 2006
I have read almost all the books in this series as well as several others on the topic Mr. Weiss has written. They are all excellent! Contrary to another reviewer this book is not a rehash of other material. This book is incredible in telling consultants how to track down and land new clients, which is the life blood of any consulting practice.

I loved the section on overcoming objections. In my practice I have run into some of these objections as well as others and never had a good answer for them. Now I do. The material in this book changed my consulting sales in the one year since I started implementing the ideas and revenue has doubled in that same year.

If you are a consultant and have ever struggled with over coming objections, searching for new clients, or landing new business then you need to read this book.
on April 20, 2008
Alan Weiss continues to boil down the best practices for consultants into his Ulimate Consultant Series. Much of the materials he covers are in other books on the topic. What makes How to Acquire Clients: Powerful Techniques for the Successful Practitioner (The Ultimate Consultant Series)valuable is that the information is all in one place and distilled into understandable strategies and actions. Only Get Clients Now!(TM): A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coachesis more direct in its usefulness and approach
on April 8, 2012
Excellent very basic business book.

All too often we are guilty of becoming to involved in the details, technical matters, of our business and never take time to look at it from 30,000 feet and do strategic planning. Or, we never really understand life blood of all businesses: aggressive marketing & sales.

This book makes (requires) you to look objectively at your business --- as an outsider and not as a technician.
on July 10, 2003
There is little to nothing new here that hasn't already been covered within Alan's incredible "Million Dollar Consulting." Based upon my very positive experience with "Million Dollar Consulting," I made a significant investment to purchase most of the titles within the "Ultimate Consulting" series of books. Unfortunately, with rare exception, each of these books is little more than an expanded excerpt from "Million Dollar Consulting." My advice? Buy, borrow, beg or steal a copy of Alan's incredible "Million Dollar Consulting." If you already own it, save the money that you would have otherwise spent on this or other books within the "Ultimate Consulting" series to invest elsewhere in your practice. Good luck.
on April 23, 2002
Alan faces off against the number one consulting killer...success. How to Acquire Clients provides practical advice on all areas of a practice: stealing clients, negotiating, dealing with buyer barriers, committees, etc. The best aspect of the book for me is that none of the aspects are impossible to implement. You can buy the book today and immediately put the strategies into action.
on March 22, 2013
After getting the book with anticipation, now that it is read cover to cover, I feel very empty handed.

The rethoric is not completely invalid, it is just lame, not particularly innovative.

One thought came up, if the author really is the living picture of the success he claims, he did not use the insipid advice he is giving us in this book. Because he would not have gone very far.