Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 176 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 293 reviews
on February 24, 2016
Great book, my 3 year old son LOVED it! We borrow it from the local library first and he loved it so much we had to buy him his own copy. Highly recommended! If this review was helpful for you, please click the button below. Thanks!
on December 1, 2016
I've probably read this book a few hundred times between my 2 kids. Both of them loved it, and I often suggested it. It's one of those few kids books that you can tolerate and enjoy a few hundred times, until you don't really need to look at the words anymore. I found it to be an amusing story with an charming ending that values parents. The drawings weren't my favorite but they've grown on me after time. I'm reviewing this now, years after my children have outgrown it, so I can buy it for my niece and nephew. Worth every penny.
on November 8, 2004
This fun-filled, adventure fantasy about pirate life is perfect for any imaginative child. It was even selected by child judges as the winner of the 2003 Irma Simonton Black and James H. Black Award for Excellence in Children's Literature. Set in contemporary times, the adventure begins when five or six-year-old Jeremy Jacobs runs off with 18th century pirates who have landed on the beach. Jeremy's delight in his adventures with Captain Braid Beard and his bedraggled crew of ruffians is obvious from the colorful, humorous, cartoon style illustrations. (They are similar to those in Shannon's own No David! book and its sequels). Brimming with amusing situations and characters, the illustrations match the tone and content of Long's story perfectly. A great example is the cover where Jeremy sits gleefully on the Captain's shoulders with a pirate scarf atop his head and the Captain's parrot on his own shoulder. A lesson that "the grass isn't always greener on the other side" is provided when Jeremy begins to realize the things he misses aboard the pirate ship (i.e., being read a bedtime story and then tucked in). Highly recommended for ages 4 to 8.

I just HAD to get this book for my niece - a Peter Pan lover - for her 7th Birthday and now I'm somewhat sad that I'll no longer have it around! Perhaps I'll have to buy another for myself!

Another great, amusing pirate adventure is "Roger, the Jolly Pirate" (2004), by Brett Helquist (ISBN 0066238064).
on September 19, 2016
This was a cute little book, and my boys (4, and 2) really liked it. I got the book to celebrate talking like a pirate day, and it was fun to read it using pirate voices. The little boy in the book takes the reader on a journey of what he did with the pirates, and how he left with them, and then later came back home. This story continues in the book "Pirates Don't Change Diapers." Which is also a cute story.
on April 15, 2017
Great for speech and Language therapy.
on August 7, 2016
My 5 year old grandson and 3 year old granddaughter LOVE, LOVE, this book!!! One of their favorite reads, at the cabin and at home. The love of adventure, yet, "there's no place like home! "
on August 3, 2014
Both my son and daughter love pirates, so a friend recommended this book. It is fabulous! I love the illustrations (they are done by David Shannon of the No, David books) and the story itself is highly entertaining. The young boy happily goes off on an adventure with a gang of unruly pirates (after they ask him for guidance as to where to bury their treasure) only to discover that he doesn't like pirate life at all and wants to go back home. The end of the story has a cute twist that gets my kids giggling every time. Highly recommend!
on July 27, 2016
I bought this book for my kindergarten class. They absolutely loved it. We spent a week studying this book and writing about different aspects throughout the story.
on March 21, 2017
Super cute book with lovely illustrations. My 7 yo and 5 yo enjoy reading it.
on September 17, 2013
I bought this book as a birthday present for my 4-year-old grandson. He had a pirate theme for his party, and I found this book to be very appropriate for the occasion, as well as for his age. The story is very entertaining and the illustrations are beautiful. My grandson loved it, and also the fact that the boy in the story plays soccer, just like him!