Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
How to Coach a Debate Team (Volume 1) Paperback – May 26, 2012
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
About the Author
Thomas Baker is the Past-President of TESOL Chile (2010-2011). He is the Coordinator of the English Department at Colegio Internacional SEK in Santiago, Chile. He is the Co-Founder and Co-Organiser of EdCamp Santiago: free, participant-driven, democratic, conversation based professional development for teachers, by teachers. EdCamp Santiago 2013 was held at Universidad UCINF in Santiago. Thomas is also a past member of the Advisory Board for the International Higher Education Teaching and Learning Association (HETL), where he also serves as a reviewer and as the HETL Ambassador for Chile. Thomas enjoys writing about a wide variety of topics. He has written the following genres: romance, historical fiction, autobiographical, sports history/biography, and English Language Teaching.
If you buy a new print edition of this book (or purchased one in the past), you can buy the Kindle edition for only $0.99 (Save 67%). Print edition purchase must be sold by Amazon. Learn more.
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1. Why debate is important, 2. Famous debaters, 3. Freedom, 4. Equity, 5. Gender Equality, 6. Civil Rights. 7. Civil Disobedience, 8. Law and Order, 9. Use of force, 10. Death Penalty. These topics are covered in many concrete and diverse forms in this book. The author believes the best way for new coaches to help debaters learn the principles underpinning these topics is not by theory, but by practice. If you are a beginner, a debater or a coach, this is the book that will help you on your journey to develop your knowledge and skills. As a coach, it is a resource even experienced debate coaches will find helpful in providing professional development opportunities for their peers and in the promotion of debate in general. Overall, this handbook will provide high value to debate coaches and debaters who are beginners.
Herein you'll find s all you need to know to successfully coach a debate team. Why does debating matter? Thomas says:
1. Debating ability is a valuable skill.
2. Debate utilizes useful English.
3. It is a unique way to teach grammar.
4. It develops critical thinking skills.
5. It introduces global issues.
6. It develops research skills.
and quotes Dr. Martin Luther King: "“Sooner or later all the people of the world will have to discover a way to live together in peace... If this is to be achieved, man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation...” Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. – 1964 Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech
The book contains an appendix of twelve debate motions to use as sample debating topics.
As this fine book explains, debating broadens our understanding of how others see the world; in doing so, this slim volume creates opportunities you can use today to mold a better world tomorrow.
Most recent customer reviews
A step-by-step easy approach to give you the confidence to dip your toe in the water.Read more