Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on June 20, 2016
Great book for anyone looking for advice on how to manage debt. It's not a scam, but a plan. And it's not about making your life miserable in order to get out of debt, but how to get out of debt by being thoughtful about your life and what you want out of it, and actually making a spending plan that makes sense for you. In 2 years I paid off over $10K in credit card debt while working a part time job and looking for more work, and since then I've managed to start paying down my student loans, gotten a better job, and managed to rack up some savings so I have a fairly good safety net. And I didn't even have to eat Ramen noodles the whole time to get there!
on September 10, 2015
I'm still reading it, but I can say that I am already looking at my spending and debting differently. I know that the principles outlined here are going to be very helpful to me going forward! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone trying to get their finances under control. Mr. Mundis is a clear and readable writer, and offers practical and usable guidelines for becoming aware of how (and why!) you're spending, and how to not use credit "just for today". At the same time, he recommends that you not over-sacrifice small pleasures in order to pay off your debt faster. I feel like a load has been taken from my shoulders. Buy this book!
on June 23, 2013
The advice that you will find in this book is straightforward - stop borrowing money and stop using your credit card. What I found useful is that he gives concrete suggestions on how to do that. This includes making a spending plan, recording your expenses, and using a prepaid credit card. Sure we've heard all of that before, but the author explains it in such a way that it becomes very clear for you why you should do that. I've been doing a lot of the stuff that the author recommends, but for the first time, my credit card balances have actually gone down substantially. The debt is not going to disappear overnight, but over a year or two, if you follow the plan, your debt should be cut in half or zero out entirely.

The author also says that you should set up your spending plan in such a way that you're living comfortably. It won't work if you're feeling miserable. You gotta live a little for it to be sustainable in the long run.

I have been following the plan for the past few weeks and, as the author says, miracles have been happening. I really think you should apply what the book says before you dismiss this as just another financial book that just gives advice. It works, but you've got to apply what the book says.
on January 4, 2009
When I picked up this book my credit was so bad I couldn't even open a bank account. I was in my early twenties, and I had no idea how to get my life on track. I had a crappy minimum wage job and a HUGE student loan that I couldn't afford to make payments on. My loan had gone into default. The creditors called me every day, and even called at work. I was lost, and terribly ashamed of myself. I was so young and inexperienced I had no idea there were resources to help people like me. I thought my life was ruined. I thought I would never be able to buy a car, let alone a house. As far as I could see I was locked into a life of debt, and poverty.

This book was the first of many tools that helped me learn how to take charge of my financial life. As I read it, I recognized so many of the things that the people in the case studies were going through. I realized that I wasn't alone, and I wasn't an inherently BAD person. I began to realize that what was happening to me happens to everyone who lives with debt. The author demonstrated over and over that I had the power to solve my own problems. The book endowed me with a sense of hope and self respect. It gave me the courage to talk to people about my debt so I could ask for help. Eventually, I found a non profit credit counseling service that showed me how to get my loan out of default.

I am happy to say that today my student loan is current and under control. I'm not out of debt yet, but my credit is fantastic. I bought a car, and I am planning and saving to get house in the next two years. My life has totally changed, and so can yours. If you feel desperate and alone like I did, I think this book can help you.

(I would also recommend Suze Orman's The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom: Practical and Spiritual Steps So You Can Stop Worrying.)

Just bought my first house. I'm so proud of it. Its worth it to take control of your debt!
22 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 13, 2011
When I ordered this book, I was not certain what to expect. It came up as one of the books to consider reading in a book club I joined recently. Although at the time, it was not selected, I ordered it anyway. To tell you the truth - I could not have made a wiser decision!

What got my attention? The previous rating given to us via the book club. It was time for me to move to the next level because what I was presently doing was not working. It came as bits and pieces but I was not obtaining the results I craved. At almost 60 years of age, my home was paid off, I had remodeling done, I had some unsecured debt and I was tired of living from paycheck to paycheck. I know there are excellent books out there, but this one did make a complete difference and it turned my hope into facts tried and true.

See, one of the things I was trying to do was pay off all my credit cards, especially, early. In doing so, I was denying myself any sort of pleasures, including going without necessary items for everyday living. I was not starving but I was not going to the grocery store, either. Crazy as that sounds, it was time for me to get out of my box and try to find other ways of getting out of debt and staying out of debt.

This book is more resourceful than one can imagine. It gave me confidence in knowing I am not going to lose everything I own because of debt. I can control my spending and I refuse to use my credit cards - I did actually cut them up. Crazy, huh? Crazy or not, I am no longer debting and slowly but surely, my debts are being paid off one at a time. I can't even explain it - it is like the cards are not only being paid off - they seem to be paid off quicker. It is just a nightmare that is turned into a fantasy island dream come true!

I love that Mr. Mundis does refer to God and prayer in parts of his book. That is very important to me. I encourage anyone who feels like they are swimming upstream in the ocean of debt, to come out of drowning and enter to the sandy beach where debt is a thing of the past. Shipwreck or salvation. The choice is yours and I wholeheartedly recommend this book!
on September 26, 2001
Ok, I have to confess. I just recently got out of debt. I still need this book though. Why? To prevent it from happening again. This book gives simple reasons, that many of us never actually reflect upon, of why we get in debt. It gives psychological reasons without putting all sorts of jargon in your face. It also helps that this author was in debt. Perhaps he is one of the few who actually admit this. Many financial books I read, though very good, come from where it is an "expert" or author who never states if they ever were in debt. It's good to think this comes from someone who had been in my shoes and vice versa. I got the book from the library, but also want to buy a copy for my own personal library. It also seems timeless enough where he would have to do very little updating. Don't beleive any negative reviews (only one so far, so that should probably tell you something) and invest in this book. The change is within you, but sometimes you need help to bring it to the outside. Good luck on your journey. Use this book as a tool, on that first step. You won't look back.
Mundis has been where you are. He's struggled with massive debt, considered bankruptcy, felt despair over low income and climbing credit card balances.
After years of struggle, he found the way out. His method is based on the principles of Debtor's Anonymous, and the keys to the method are these three steps:
1) One day at a time, you don't incur any new debt.
2) You keep an accurate daily spending record.
3) You stick to your spending plan.
Notice I didn't say "three EASY steps." People struggling with debt often find the steps difficult, maybe even impossible, to implement. Why? Lots of reasons, it turns out. The good news is, Mundis helps you understand what those reasons are, and then he shows you ways to find the resolve to stick with the steps.
He offers hope and then some practical help. Truly, I think this is one of the best books I've read on beating debt. I think it will feel like a Godsend to anyone who knows the hopelessness that accompanies crushing debt.
Mundis also has a website. Get the book first, though. If you're a debtor/spender this book is a WORTHWHILE place to spend a bit of cash.
Reviewer: Linda Painchaud
0Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 3, 2014
This book is so simple and straight forward -- yet addresses concepts most people have never considered when trying to recover from a bad financial situation... If you are in trouble...please ---I implore you...get this book and work the steps as he lays them out... You will not regret it...ever!!!
on August 28, 2016
This book has helped me a great deal. I now understand that I need to keep a budget . Everyone should have a budget set up so they can tract their spending. I will definitely keep this book on my night stand. I highly recommend this book for people who are in debt.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 22, 2011
It's a great book about getting out of debt and staying out of debt. Even though it's outdated since it was written in the eighties, the principles can still be applied today. The great fault of the American way is that we have a tendency of allowing our station or jobs define who we are. We try so hard to be more than what we are and use consumption to fill that void. We buy fancy cars we don't need, big houses we can't afford, and get into more and more debt to protray an image we cannot afford. This is another book that teaches you how to change your mindset and stay out of debt forever.