Customer Reviews: How To Destroy Angels
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon Save on select ClickTight convertible car seats

Format: Audio CD|Change

on July 6, 2010
If there is one thing I was hoping for with the release of the eponymous EP from How To Destroy Angels it was for something completely beyond the norm for Trent Reznor. I'm a HUGE Nine Inch Nails fan, so as far as I am concerned, anything the man touches is solid gold (and I haven't been let down yet). HTDA is no exception; it's a quality record from a quality group of musicians. My only complaint would be that it does sound a little too NIN-ish. Some of these tracks sound like they could have been b-sides or unreleased tracks from Year Zero, which wouldn't have been a bad thing if this was a Nails release. It sounds as though Trent is trying to get out of his comfort zone here but just can't seem to get all the way out. Some tracks are stellar standouts that offer a lot of hope that some amazing things are in the works; "Fur Lined" in particular has a very unique feel that sets it apart from Reznor's previous work. "The Space In Between" is a bit out there for him, but still manages to toe that line of comfortability. The addition of Mariqueen Maandig-Reznor certainly adds an interesting element to the equation, her vocals are haunting and breathy which does wonders for the music; Reznor singing would have not made quite the impact.

All in all, this is a good record; not a great one, but a good one. If Trent and company can find a way to get themselves out of their comfort zone, they could deliver a truly amazing album.
33 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2014
While Trent Reznor's wife, Mariqueen, won't likely be winning any awards for her vocal talents, I feel her voice and style fit well with this release.

Yes; it does feel/sound rather NIN on its own. But I don't see that as a bad thing. Trent has a decently broad sound with NIN. Some I really love... some not so much.

But I find myself listening to this at least as much as anything by NIN and I think that's a good sign. Some tracks in particular stand out for me and on the whole I prefer this release over the "Welcome Oblivion" CD from How to Destroy Angels, which I think is a little over done for my tastes.
on June 25, 2010
This is the self-titled debut EP by How to Destroy Angels, a group formed by Trent Reznor, his wife Mariqueen Maandig, and producer Atticus Ross. It sort of sounds like Nine Inch Nails release The Slip if a woman was singing. It will be released physically early next month, but you can still download it online for free if you want. So yeah, it's pretty enjoyable electronic/industrial stuff, and it's hard to go wrong when you don't have to pay. My two favorite tracks happen to be the opener and closer, "The Space in Between" and "A Drowning". The former has a perfect, ominous sound countered by Mariqueen's pleasant voice that nicely introduces you to their style, and the latter has a nice build up and release for the record's climax. The other tracks are totally fine too, with my third favorite probably being "The Believers". I'm not sure how dedicated any of them really are to the future of this project, but their first effort is fairly strong and might be worth some further development.
on June 3, 2015
This album is sounds eerie and awesome on so many levels. The concepts portrayed are extremely important to our time and I think we can all learn a lot from what they have to say with the full release.
on October 4, 2012
OK, so supposedly this is an effort by Reznor to 'branch out' and try things different than he thought NIN fans would accept. But the same layered, nuanced, distorted, industrial, dark, nihilistic tones are there, just fronted by somewhat less fiercely screamed but nonetheless somewhat distorted female vocals (his wife)?

She must not have near the range or the passion he does, since much of her voice seems to be intentionally processed; that's alright - it seemed to fit the tone of each track, vs. just being 'autotuned' as so many wannabe young divas are. And she doesn't sing with the anger he has - more like a mix between a bit of lascivious "love me long time" stereotype pandering or perplexed why-am-I-the-victim tones.

None of the above is intended to mean I don't like it - I do. The 4 stars is mostly because it's so short, only 6 tracks. Would love to hear more.

But frankly, I tend to like virtually everything Herren Reznor and Ross have done...their particular audio landscape manages to hit my nerve endings with a set of impulses like no other.
on January 4, 2013
Let me start by saying that im a huge Nine Inch Nails/Trent fan. I own everything he/they've done and have seen them live more times than i can count. And that my be the/my problem. I'm comparing. This coul've/should've been a NIN album. The music is fantastic, the production incredible and lush, the lyrics amazing (especially 'A Drowning'), the vocal melodies are perfectly how Trent would sing, phrasing and all...its just that Mariqueen's vocals are...nice. Too nice. Sweet and perfect and...ultimately passionless. Almost spoken most of the time. No grit, no emotion no. I know this is unfair...this isn't supposed to be NIN. I know this. It just sounds like the Muzak version of Nine Inch Nails...the "Honey, here are some songs i wrote but you can sing them" version. Sonically and lyrically this would/should be one of the better NIN albums in the past few years. Instead it comes off as a less passionate/intense version of the band. There is NOTHING wrong with the CD and i love listening to's just as dissapointing because of what it could've been with Trent singing. No emotional value. Again i know that is unfair. I wish that i had no idea Trent was involved because it's a ghost of things that could've been.
on August 16, 2013
I'm going to be honest, I hated this cd when I first heard it. I actually had a free download, but deleted it because I thought it was garbage. Okay, I didn't think it was garbage, it just wasn't what I wanted to hear from Trent Reznor. Sometime later, I heard a song from the band and really liked it. I didn't realize who it was by until later, and was shocked when I found out because of how I felt upon first listening to the band.

So, all in all, a good cd and band.
on September 29, 2010
When Trent Reznor announced that he was disbanding Nine Inch Nails he said he was tired of being constrained with the type of music he created because of the expectations that people had with that name. Not his exact words (by a long shot!) but definitely his meaning behind them.

It's obvious to me that he was quite inspired by his wife in creating this "band" if you can call it that. It is Trance with a Trent twist. Like early NIN it doesn't quite fit into any preconceived or pre-marketed genre. As always, he is a musical genius and quite possibly/probably ahead of his time. It's very chill and relaxing - not what you would normally expect from him!

Personally I think a lot of the bad reviews here were from people who wanted NIN reincarnated. Mariqueen Maandig certainly doesn't have the voice to do Industrial, but she is marvelous singing this.

If you have an open mind, like/love Electronic/Trance (not just Club stuff) music, like/love Trent Reznor's style of music then give this a shot.
on September 13, 2013
The thing is, this is an EP, that means there is not much to say about it.
How to destroy angels is the band for you, if you like Nine Inch Nails (NIN)
It is as close, as you will ever get.
Why is that ?
because she is Trent Reznor`s wife.

Personally i love this! ive allways enjoyed the slower songs from NIN
and the 6 songs you get on this EP, is just that
The song : A drowning, is perfect
on May 20, 2013
I'm a huge NiN and HTDA is somewhat different not only because of Mariqueen vocals. I think the structure is different and in a good way. HTDA is not a total departure from NiN but a addition to a body of work in electronic music.