Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 369 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 404 reviews
on February 14, 2016
These books are great!! Seven yr old grandson loved it!!!
review image
on December 19, 2013
This book may be a bit more difficult as some shapes are composed of free-hand drawn curving lines. Each project has 3-4 steps. Adding different parts of the animal builds the total picture. Dashed lines indicate lines to be erased. This book differs from the other beginning "How to Draw..." by this author because it instructs how to build texture. Texture in the form of fur and feathers. A practice page is adjacent to the instruction page. However, the practice page has the next project on the other side. Depending on skill level, tracing paper may be a definite to help with practice because of the free-hand drawing. I would suggest a drawing pad, as well. I would have given it 5 stars if it had a practice page which could be removed.
on October 1, 2016
I bought this drawing book for my 5 year old nephew and 7 year old niece to give to them for Christmas later this year. It is a nice book. It has more options of animals to draw than just your average pet. Animals you can learn to drawn include dogs, cats, hamsters and other small critters, a variety of birds, a ferret, a horse and pony, hermit crab, and other unique pet animals like sugar gliders and pot belly pigs. There are others as well. The nice thing about this book is that it can be shared and reused if you use an extra sheet of paper when drawing. Personally, I don’t think it is the best learn-to-draw book I have seen, but it is pretty good. There are some animals that I think my niece and nephew will have trouble drawing, but others look easier. For the price I paid ($3.80), it really is a great deal. I am sure my niece and nephew will enjoy their gift and many other young people would like it as well.
on April 29, 2016
I am so happy with the purchase and so is my eight year old son. I remembered having "How to Draw" books when I was a kid and I really enjoyed them so I thought I would buy some for my son. First we check the library (needle in a haystack and long wait list) and we went to Books A Million to try and pick some up right away. Ugh. What I didn't like about that experience was that first of all, the majority of the books were very girl focused (princesses, fairies, ponies, dolls) and though I support my son wanting to use any of those books- he simply didn't. Secondly, the books we did find we either very simple not realistic type picture instructions or on the other end of the scale that it was pre-teen/adult stuff. Lastly, the price was pretty steep per book. We left with one book and very disappointed. So I decide to come online and see what I could find since he did have the one book to tie him over. I did a lot of searching and the Barbara Soloff collection seemed right on the money for what I was after. The books came the other day (one a rainy day no less :-) !!) and my son spent over an hour drawing until his little hand was cramped. They are high quality and afordable with the perfect level with room to grow. So very happy. The selection of books is so wide it was hard to only buy 3! My son has already started combining pictures from each book. My fridge has never looked more beautiful and inspiring :-) .
on August 9, 2016
Probably my mistake, I bought this for my 5 yr old who loves to draw but it is a little too much for her and makes her frustrated. I would recommend this to older kids though!
"How to Draw Pets" is an interesting little book. One the left page are the steps and the right page is blank, so you can use it to draw the animals on the left. This is great for children. For adults (and I think this is actually geared for kids, but not noted as such), I think it would be better to have instructions on both side of the spread, which would double the number of animals one could learn. For me, even with one child, I would prefer more content.

With kids, especially if more than one in the family is interested in drawing, I would copy the page, give each a copy, lots of paper, and let them go to work, thereby saving the original for future use. The actual paper in the book is not artist grade, so you lose nothing by doing the above.

The steps were easy for me to follow, and once explained, I think most kids would get it, too. To use this book, you need to understand shapes. The author uses the principal that everything is made up of shapes, and if you draw those shapes, placing them in the correct spot, you can draw anything. At its most basic, this is true.

Each animal has 4 steps, beginning with the initial shape(s), such as an oval body and a round head. The next step might add the tail and legs. The third step adds more detail, and the fourth step shows the completed animal. There is no text on any of these pages. So if you are expecting, "Step 2, draw an 1" line, connect it to the oval body. This will be the tail," you will be disappointed. (I made that step up for example purposes.) In that respect, there are no instructions. The author has simple broken down the animal to its basic shape and added new shapes in each step.

KIDS will likely enjoy this little book and the subject matter is fun (what kid does not like animals?).

For ADULTS, I prefer "Everyone Can Draw" by Shoo Rayner (who has a great YouTube channel), or, if you are really serious about learning to draw, I'd suggest "You Can Draw in 30 Days" by Mark Kistler.
on December 12, 2015
I looked for awhile to find a sketch instructional for my niece (8). I loved this one in particular, because it has step by step photos of each animal. I looked at many others which had only one finished drawing to copy - I felt they were not practical to teach someone how to improve their skills. The only downfall to this book is that it lacks any verbal drawing instruction (picture only) - but for the price and purpose I needed it for, I would definitely recommend it. If you are more of a visual learner, you can't go wrong.
on March 12, 2017
My 13 year old daughter loves animals and she REALLY loves this instruction guide/book.

She says it is fun and easy to follow. Lots of different pets kids can relate to.

This book will give your child a sense of accomplishment every time they draw an animal.

I've even drawn a few things and they came out pretty good. (I usually only draw stick figures LOL)
on August 27, 2016
We like it by why the 4 star? It's not that it's 'simple' or 'basic' .... I bought it for a 7 year old. I mean it's very easy to follow. For that alone I say high ratings.

Just very few designs (30). Also, this 'pets' doesn't have many pets. Dog, cat, hamster, and gerbil. The rest are random like sugar glider. Chameleon, pot belly pig. You would figure more versions of common pets rather than 1or 2 ways.

This was not expensive and will continue to purchase each holiday for my 7 year old. He does like the (3) and I find that to be worth the $3 something I paid .
on February 20, 2016
This book is a great gift for kids of all ages. I purchased this for my nephew for Christmas and he is very proud of being able to draw animals now. This book will serve him for a lifetime. Say goodbye to stick animals that look funny. This lays a great foundation for drawing animals. Mom and Dads like it as well. Wish I had learned to draw animals years ago. Easy to follow. Perfect size. Great idea for birthdays or any day. Would buy again for someone else.