Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on February 14, 2016
These books are great!! Seven yr old grandson loved it!!!
review image
"How to Draw Pets" is an interesting little book. One the left page are the steps and the right page is blank, so you can use it to draw the animals on the left. This is great for children. For adults (and I think this is actually geared for kids, but not noted as such), I think it would be better to have instructions on both side of the spread, which would double the number of animals one could learn. For me, even with one child, I would prefer more content.

With kids, especially if more than one in the family is interested in drawing, I would copy the page, give each a copy, lots of paper, and let them go to work, thereby saving the original for future use. The actual paper in the book is not artist grade, so you lose nothing by doing the above.

The steps were easy for me to follow, and once explained, I think most kids would get it, too. To use this book, you need to understand shapes. The author uses the principal that everything is made up of shapes, and if you draw those shapes, placing them in the correct spot, you can draw anything. At its most basic, this is true.

Each animal has 4 steps, beginning with the initial shape(s), such as an oval body and a round head. The next step might add the tail and legs. The third step adds more detail, and the fourth step shows the completed animal. There is no text on any of these pages. So if you are expecting, "Step 2, draw an 1" line, connect it to the oval body. This will be the tail," you will be disappointed. (I made that step up for example purposes.) In that respect, there are no instructions. The author has simple broken down the animal to its basic shape and added new shapes in each step.

KIDS will likely enjoy this little book and the subject matter is fun (what kid does not like animals?).

For ADULTS, I prefer "Everyone Can Draw" by Shoo Rayner (who has a great YouTube channel), or, if you are really serious about learning to draw, I'd suggest "You Can Draw in 30 Days" by Mark Kistler.
on March 12, 2017
My 13 year old daughter loves animals and she REALLY loves this instruction guide/book.

She says it is fun and easy to follow. Lots of different pets kids can relate to.

This book will give your child a sense of accomplishment every time they draw an animal.

I've even drawn a few things and they came out pretty good. (I usually only draw stick figures LOL)
on April 1, 2014
My kids (ages 5-9) love to draw and were excited to get this book! I would recommend it - it's a bit too hard for my 5 yr old but my 7 and 9 yr old really enjoy it.
on November 30, 2015
Didn't expect much when ordering this, but I was happy with what I received. The book has several different animals with easy to follow directions for drawing the animal and a blank page to practice on. Many different animals.
on May 6, 2017
Very good book and very simple steps.my son ,whose 9,had no trouble drawing the things in this book but I'd think it'd be good for even a 5yr old.and a great variety in all the books.
on April 12, 2017
Pet Drawing
on September 9, 2014
Another winner as far as my husband and I are concerned. I earned Amazon gift cards by completing surveys, this is one of two drawing books I ordered for our Audrey , who wants to be an illustrator when she grows up, she is eight. She loves this and shares with her siblings, who also really like this book. The first few weeks it was a squabble over who would get it first after homework was finished, lucky we have several drawing books purchased through Amazon, so the arguing didn't last long. love this series though, the wide array of animals, the ease with which the children seem to be able to not only copy the drawing but start drawing these same animals on there own and putting their own spin on their creations. I would suggest anyone get this for their little ones , or their big ones, or shoot, even for yourself!
22 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 26, 2017
A fun helpful book for budding artists. My 7-year-old really enjoyed the simple, straightforward instructions, and was drawing all sorts of animals by the end of the day!
on December 2, 2016
The author does not write very much. There are illustrations to show the steps to draw the subject. This book is great for children and beginners.