Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How to Greet a Dog and What to Avoid
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on October 12, 2011
For adults who are unsure, or for teaching children, or even just as reminders, this little book is just right.

I read it on the cloud reader--which was good because it turns out the points are made by nice, colorful, easy to understand (without being preachy) cartoon drawings all contained in a mere 113 Kindle location size.

The basic points are (without just rewriting the points):

1. Don't approach dogs in cars...
2. Approach slowly and calmly...
3. Ask for permission...
4. Avoid staring at dogs head on....
5. Don't loom...
6. Avoid reaching into...
7. Avoid interacting if...
8. Touch and pet...

Super highly-recommended by a certain dog who may have snapped once (completely out of character) when her head was unexpectedly held while a face loomed over her.

JTG
on October 14, 2011
This book should be shown to every child and a lot of adults. The author does a great job of describing how to approach a dog. The pictures are helpful and cute. The only thing I feel she left out was to stress that even small dogs bite. I have a small dog who loves everyone but have owned small dogs that would snap.
on December 26, 2011
This is a brief but expressive little book. Because so many children are dog bite victims, and many very bad bites are to the face, it's worth the time and effort to teach these concepts to every child you know.

You will find this little book to be very useful when explaining how to greet a dog in a way that children will understand. The kids should appreciate that they ought to treat dogs with the same consideration they expect for themselves. I've run into plenty of adults who need these basic lessons, too!

My obedience instructor uses many of Dr. Yin's freely available materials in her puppy kindergarten and basic obedience classes.

I also recommend that you pay attention to Dr. Yin's blog, web site, and video clips that show clearly how easy it is to teach a dog a new concept or behavior. My favorite is the one where she teaches her dog to put both front feet in a box on the floor using just treats and the word "Yes!" It took a total of about three minutes.
No matter how tempting it might be (Oh look at that cute little puppy!) Sophia Yin advises people to approach dogs carefully and especially not to approach a dog in a car. This book explains exactly how you should stand next to a dog or how you should sit down and let a dog come to you. The point is not to be threatening to a dog. If you wouldn't approach a person certain ways why would you think it is OK with a dog? Just imagine someone sticking their hand into your car or running up to you or looming over you in a big scary clown costume. Well the cute illustrations in this book made me laugh. I think it is possibly the cutest Kindle book I've ever read. As someone who has been attacked by a dog I would say to take this advice seriously. And in my case the dog took offense just for me looking in its direction. Pretty scary. I will use Sophia Yin's advice the next time I see a cute dog I want to pet.

~The Rebecca Review
on May 6, 2012
This is a really good colourful Kindle book. This could either be viewed one on one with a child (or they could read it themselves) or you could connect your PC to an OHP screen and present it to a class in a library or a classroom. Most Kindle picture books aren't really designed for Kindle, being just hard copies scanned and end up in the top half or the screen, but How to Greet a Dog seems to have been properly designed for Kindle devices and PCs, with the pages taking up pretty much the full screen.

The language is simple enough for a child to read and importantly the messages are very simple. This does not come across as a lecture like a lot of child safety books unfortunately do. The text is very conversational and together with the pictures is full of humour. Children (and even adults you don't have to be a child to learn about interacting with a dog safely) will enjoy each piece of advice and not even really catch on that they are learning. Lessons learnt include how to approach a dog in a car, how to pat a dog as well as know when it is okay to pat a dog, how to approach a dog with an owner, how to be beside and not make it feel threatened as well as dog related advice. As a nice bonus in teaching the dog related stuff the reader will also pick up some stranger danger or what's okay for people touching them advice as comparing human behaviour with the dogs perspective which can be built upon in a wider discussion later.

This is a really good picture book. Illustrations done in cartoon style are really well drawn too.
on February 29, 2012
I read this book along with a 5th grader in my class. My students have checklists of genres they need to read, and I'm planning to encourage many students to read this book as their instructional nonfiction item. The student who read this story, as you will see from her review, does have a fear of dogs and I think she was very comforted by the advice in the story. I found the language and rules to be very approachable and understandable. The difficulty level was a little low for the average 5th grader's target reading range, but overall this was a good read. Here is my student's review.

The last book I read was Sammy Keyes and the Wedding Crasher. I picked this book to read because I am pretty scared of dogs and I wanted to learn about how to not be as afraid. I liked how there were rules that you could follow and practice before you see a dog. I even practiced them at home with my cat. I think they will help me. I gave this book four stars.
on November 14, 2013
This is good info for anyone who is new to dogs. Very good simple examples that anyone can understand. As I was reading it I remembered something I did today that I should have done differently with an un familiar dog that approached me in Pet Smart. He barked at me when I looked at him. If I had turned sideways and looked at him from the side, he probably would have been fine. Good review of the basics.
on August 29, 2012
My kids are afraid of dogs, I'm sure-in part-because we don't have any pets. I got this book for my daughters in hopes that it would help them to respond to dogs better.

We read it together quite a few times, as they didn't want to forget anything. The next time we encountered a pet they were no longer afraid of the dog. I even heard my 4 yr old telling someone that she knew all about how to talk to dogs, because she had read a book about it. She was so proud.

All in all, a good book for little ones to understand the right and wrong ways to approach a dog. I loved that it explained the "whys" of manners with strange dogs. That way the kids know what to anticipate and why, which helps them to remember better.
on October 16, 2011
great little book. should be required reading in all elementary schools/adoption agencies/law schools.
no doubt it is advertising for the author and her other publications.
thank you dr. yin for a cute easy presentation.
on February 17, 2014
I use this book at rescue dog adoption events. As families come to see the dogs, they must walk past a dog safety table. Here I educate the family using this book and other materials.
There is a remarkable diffetence in how the visiting children approach the dogs.
At the adoption events, this book is given to any family that wants it