Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on October 20, 2015
I bought the paper version first. Love the paper version. The Kindle version is disappointing because it lacks photos, which in my opinion adds a lot. Think carefully before making your choice.
10 people found this helpful
on May 27, 2015
What's unique about this book is the detailed high quality photos that go along with the clear step by step instructions for all the BBQ techniques you could ever imagine. Mr. Raichlen even gives detailed instructions on how to trim and dress various cuts of meat. Learn to smoke ribs, make ground lamb kebabs, grill tandoori style, he'll even teach you how to roast a whole lamb on a spit or cook a whole pig on the grill.
Here are detailed instructions for cooking on a grill every cut of meat you ever imagined and recommendations on whether to use direct or indirect heat. This book is organized first by the type of meat, beef, chicken, lamb, pork and then within each meat section by the cut of meat. Here's an example from Beef & Veal: How to grill Prime Rib, How to Smoke Brisket, How to grill T-Bone Steaks, Filet Mignon, or Porterhouse Steak or How to grill Strip Steaks, etc, Use this wonderful book to learn techniques!
on June 20, 2018
Note: I'm only about ~15 pages into the book. This current review is to compare the different learning mediums. Quick summary:

Paperback - 10/10 (recommended)
Tablet - 9/10 (recommended)
Kindle Voyage e-Reader - 4/10 - doable, but not recommended

I'm a grilling nut, and I decided to get both the paperback and Kindle version. The paperback is self-explanatory, containing all of the information and pictures, so I'm not getting into that version. Mostly want to explain the the paperback and electronic differences.

Both the tablet and e-reader formats contain the same information and pictures as the paperback version (pictures on the Voyage are in b&w, pictures on the tablet are in color). The Kindle app on the Tablet, as well as the Kindle Voyage both contain working hyperlinks. There are 3 problems with the Kindle Voyage: 1. The OS is slow and clunky, making the navigation experience frustrating; 2. The hyperlinks are either dark bold or light gray, but not distinctive enough to know for sure whether or not it's a hyperlink, leaving you to navigate to a different page unintentionally; 3. The screen is just too small in my opinion for a reference book of this type.

If you're deciding between the Paperback and Kindle e-Reader version, I definitely recommend the Paperback. If you have an 8"+ tablet, I'd still recommend the Paperback, but if you're set on having the electronic version, I think the tablet is completely sufficient for learning, navigating, and using as a sole-source (just be careful with those greasy grilling hands!). Enjoy!
on February 26, 2017
Saw Steve on PBS and was a fan even though I was not a Barbecue(r) yet..... this book really cover the basics my first Brisket is in grill at this very moment and smell is driving me crazy! Moma didn't raise no Genius...and my first attempts are frankly really good. The only Con I can honestly mention is: it's gonna play hell with my diet! I recommend this book to anyone wanting practice the manly/Womanly Art of burning Meat! Hell he even tell you how to look cool!
3 people found this helpful
on January 1, 2014
My husband can't cook. He hates cooking. I love to cook. I love to grill. I kept telling my husband that if he could learn to grill, he'd be a really cool dude. Plus, while he was babysitting the Weber (or gas grill), I could spend more time in the kitchen preparing the side dishes and dessert. This book has terrific step-by-step photos. My husband began to grill with confident, as he would read how to set up the Weber. Lo and behold, he is quite the Weber grill master and I am so impressed! I highly recommend this book to be the Grilling Bible for beginner grillers-- or even advance grillers. One of the best books around.
VINE VOICEon May 17, 2009
Like most any other American man, I assumed I knew all there is to know about charcoal grilling. Well, this book took me from a hamburger flipper to the talk of the neighborhood. I suggest just about anyone who likes to grill buy this book. The book is very good on different levels. The recipes are great. Besides that, the author gives you a thourough run down of grilling on all types of grills. He goes into detail about fire building. If you build a fire the way he says, you'll find that you don't even need a thermometer to cook. He'll tell you in the recipe to build (for example) a direct medium fire. Then he'll tell you to grill your meat (for example) 5 minutes on each side. Build the fire right (easy) and flip the meat on time, and your dinner will come out EXACTLY how the author said it would. It just doesn't get more precise than that. He also discusses how to grill almost every type of meat before he gets you started on the recipe. For example, a lot of people really don't know what to do with London Broil. Before he starts on the recipe, he tells you what it is, how it's cooked, and how it's carved. And he tells you WHY. Even if you don't want to use his recipe, you leave knowing what to do with any London Broil. His recipes are delicious, and not excessively snobbish/gourmet. If you grill, buy this book.
on April 29, 2013
I just received my second copy of this book, this time as a hard cover because I used the paperback copy so much it is falling apart. I have bought this book as gifts for several friends and and family, and have shown it to co-workers who also purchased the book. It is a great resource for nearly anyone, and especially a great starting point for those new to grilling.

Several years ago I bought this book after more than two decades of using grills and I was shocked at how much technique I did not know as a casual griller. This book includes plenty of pictures that tremendously aid in the understanding of the relatively simple and very straight-forward grilling techniques which are explained very clearly by the author. Along with the descriptions are some interesting and brief background stories that makes the reading even more enjoyable. 'How to Grill' also covers true barbecuing, and explains the differences between grilling and barbecuing. This book covers the 'basics' with enhanced recipes such as hamburgers, hot dogs, potatoes and corn-on-the-cob, but also shows how to grill some more unusual and perhaps unexpected foods including many kinds of vegetables, and fruits. Included are some unexpected recipes such as grilled pizza and turkey pastrami and even tofu. Adding to the usefulness of the book the included recipes are delicious and unique, and yet simple enough to make almost anytime using ingredients that are typically not hard to find. Techniques explained also include how to properly set-up and use grills (gas, charcoal, and smokers of nearly all kinds) and even how to clean them when you are done.

'How to Grill' is a useful book to have for nearly anyone's collection, and is an ideal first grilling book for a novice to begin working towards being a true grill master. This book is Ideal as a gift, too; it is received very well.
3 people found this helpful
on October 5, 2017
Nice. Good recipes and a good variety of recipes. And a very thorough and detailed teaching of what 'anyone' needs to know about how to grill. Far more than just basic grilling.
on May 24, 2010
I just started cooking with this book and felt compelled to submit a review in hopes that others might make this investment. Like alot of guys, I have been working the grill for a long time. I have always thought that I was pretty good. I am humbled by the vast knowledge of techniques the author discusses in this really wonderful book.

It all starts with all the basic techniques that are used to cook in the book. Big colorful step by step photos are used in conjunction with easy to understand instruction. This is a recurring theme throughout the book. You are then guided through an unbelievable group of recipes...meats, seafood, veggies, poultry, etc...I literally just pick a recipe on Saturday, head to the store Sunday morning and cook Sunday night. It has been a welcome addition to the monotony of everyday eating in my house.

The bottom line is this...no matter how good you are on the grill, this book will teach you a few things. I have truly enjoyed this book and I think you will as well...
on May 15, 2017
Very well written with lots of pictures, and thorough explanations. There are many very good recipes in this book. It will help anyone get better at grilling no matter what your level of expertise is. Well worth the read.