Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 26, 2016
With a background in World Religion, an avid meditator, and hobby philosopher, this book actually answered some profound issues I had and did so with concise clarity. My brother for almost a decade has been stuck in the "Everything passes and is therefore meaningless" nihilistic state that has now turned into clinical depression. He wasn't the first to point this out to me and for years I have struggled with questions about death and purpose.

His Holiness Dalai Lama has elegantly answered the question Nihilism proposes, by stating that only co-dependent entities can perform any function. In this, he uses "function" rather than "purpose" although the two are effectively exchangeable. Please read the book to further understand what I mean.

This book has affected me deeply primarily because I did not expect to get this type of information from this book. The subtitle, although cheesy at the onset of reading "How to live a meaningful life", is precisely accurate and the book successfully performs it's described function. I know how to live a meaningful life now. And no, existence is not meaningless, purposeless, or useless. It is precisely meaningful, purposeful, and useful, and now I know why thanks to this book.

If all human minds were seeds of flowers, the Dalai Lama is the Sun.
32 helpful votes
33 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse
It would be easy to remove oneself to a monastery and life a meaningful life without the trappings of the modern world, or at least it seems so. Most of us cannot do that. We have to live in this world of unending troubles and obstacles that beset us daily. By offering his timeless wisdom, His Holiness the Dalai Lama points a way to navigate the tribulations that mark our passages. Easy to read and digest.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on September 16, 2017
Good book. Anything by the Dalai Lama, or the teachings of Buddha, or Gandhi, or Deepak Chopra, has my attention. I'm always on the hunt for the best self help books I can find, because we all need a little help at times to put things into perspective and get back on track internally. This book did not disappoint. I bought a new copy, and it arrived promptly and in good condition. Highly recommend!
on October 31, 2017
Excellent overview of Buddhism and written in a way you could break it up and read it slowly to absorb the teachings.
on March 8, 2016
As always, His Holiness the Dalai Lama instructs and delights. His suggestion for how to have a meaningful life are attainable. I especially chuckled when he admitted to peaking into medicine cabinets at the homes of the rich, merely to see if they were taking drugs to help them cope with this life, to help them find happiness. It appears most, if not all, of them were. The exercises are thought provoking and not impossible to do in our busy lives. Although, I think once completing them, our lives might not be quite so busy anymore.
on November 4, 2017
This book brings you to a very peaceful place inside. A great read
on July 23, 2017
Thank you the Dalai Lama lives what he speaks.
on June 8, 2017
Amazing book by an amazing man! must have!
on May 16, 2017
Greatly informative. More than I expected.
on September 14, 2017
Endless wisdom. Such and easy read!