Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

VINE VOICEon December 5, 2016
This is a fun read and gave us a much broader idea of the possibilities for retirement living. It's full of examples of people who are happily enjoying retirement on relatively low incomes by creatively controlling expenses, or choosing exciting alternatively lifestyles that I'd never have thought of. It's a light-hearted handling of what's normally a heavy topic, but with such a twist that may eventually lift your spirits for a long time to come.
5 people found this helpful
on November 18, 2015
This is a book that my husband was very interested in reading and he really enjoyed it. Some of the tips he had already been aware of but many others he has employed or plans on using in the future. One idea was to make your first house your "forever home" which is very good advice if you can swing it. We have moved a few times so that would not have worked but it is a great idea especially with the climate of home investments these days. Even if you are financially savvy, you can learn some very helpful hints when planning for retirement!
6 people found this helpful
on August 14, 2015
I enjoyed this book and the way it made retirement easy to understand. Most book and planners tell you that in order to retire you will need 80% of your current salary, but while this may be true for some it is not for all. One size does not fit all, and just like we have S,M,L XL and XXL for clothing, retirement is similar. One must evaluate what is truly a want vs. a need, I think everyone can enjoy retirement if they do not continue to keep up with the a life style they simply cannot afford. Take a walk in the park, enjoy the kids and grandkids, read a great novel, help others and enjoy the best years of your lives. The best things in life are free.
3 people found this helpful
on December 10, 2014
This is an excellent book if you are close to retirement or are already retired. It is for the 99% of us. New ideas of how NOT TO SPEND MONEY. That not spending money is actually more important then how you invest money. Plenty of ideas of what to do after retirement and loads of web-sites for reference. This is a book I suggest you read cover to cover for the first time, then keep as a reference for all times.
4 people found this helpful
on February 8, 2017
I have always lived by the philosophy the author espouses: control spending, borrow money minimally, do what you enjoy. The book provided encouragement to keep at it and not be seduced into buying some big-ticket items I've been considering. I'm retired and am becoming more of a "cheapskate", seeing saving money as my job which will make my money last. As far as specific tips, the book had many but I'm not sure that there are any that I will use. The main value of the book was support and encouragement.
2 people found this helpful
on August 11, 2015
It made me think about how I spend my money and the fact that I am not very careful with the outgo. If I was more careful with outgo I would have more to spend on paying down debt which isn't very much anyway allowing for a sooner retirement.
6 people found this helpful
on October 4, 2014
What he's really getting at here is that the limiting factor in your retirement isn't managing your investments so you have a lot of income - it's structuring your life and behavior so that you spend much less, and hence don't *need* a million dollars to retire.

Which would you rather have: a house and garage, full of Stuff that you mostly don't have time to enjoy because you have to work full-time in order to pay for all that and even when you're not working you spend all the rest of your time and money on maintenance, OR a simpler life that's full of time to do what you like, to have Experiences, to build Memories (which are the only riches you take with you)?

We thought we were going to have to work to 70 in order to have all the money saved in order to have the retirement income to support our House and Stuff. Then we started re-thinking that, partly due to Jeff's book, and now we plan to retire in two years at 62 and go grab experiences. And you know what? We won't miss all that Stuff one bit.

Stuff is chains. Remember that scene in A Christmas Carol where Scrooge asks Marley about the chain he is carrying and Marley tells how he forged it, link by link, and what a ponderous chain it is? That's your Stuff. It's chains. It's prison. You (and me) are a slave to your Stuff.

Break the chains. This book can help show you how.
37 people found this helpful
on August 26, 2015
Thus far I've found it very edutaining (Educational and Fun to read). Many excellent points are made throughout. My only downside is because of my age (64) and looking to retire in 2015, I am looking for ways to enjoy my retirement and the book seems to put more emphasis on what a younger, still looking to grow with a company, type of person should be doing NOW. Unless, I win a lottery or something, I'll never see the $500k retirement fund.
7 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on February 22, 2014
This is an entertaining book with lots of good advice. As I get closer to my goal, the scarier it becomes. Can you ever have enough money and fill your time the way you dream? Or will you suddenly have a heart attack and die? Retirement to me is like going to the alter-I want to do it but it scares the crap out of me at the same time.
2 people found this helpful
on March 29, 2016
Just finished reading this book. It makes you think about the things you do. I will be retiring this year and it gives great ideas on how to save money for and during retirement.
One person found this helpful