Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on September 12, 2013
In all my years using Amazon, I have never before rated a book. But if there ever was an occasion to do so, having read How to See Yourself As You Really Are is the time. The main subject here, and point of interest for me as a beginner in Buddhism, is the Buddhist Madhyamaka concept of emptiness, specifically within the Prasangika, or Consequence, school. Reading about, reflecting on, and incorporating the views explained by the Dalai Lama in this book, has left me in utter amazement and humbled realization of things which I never could have considered on my own, but very much find are easily becoming part of every facet of my life. The Dalai Lama's wisdom and personal experience are tangible in the pages and are extremely helpful in explaining the more difficult concepts presented. It is a privilege to have access to such profound understanding and guidance from a master. This is NOT a leisurely read and, as it has proven so for me, probably requires lots of continual review. It is so worth it and gets better each time!

If you are looking for a book that:

(1) Explains emptiness.

(2) Annihilates the the typical perceptions and conceptions of how we ( wrongly and unknowingly) view the world, ourselves, and others.

(3) Leaves you feeling totally in awe, connected to the world and universe.

(4) Carefully and in detail shows you how to see yourself as you really are and, in doing so, leaves little or no room for a selfish viewpoint to remain.

then this is book you have been waiting for.
This book is incredible. While it takes time and attention to read, I've found myself making changes to my life and I'm only two-thirds through it.

And no, I'm not meditating, just reflecting on the message though some might call that meditation I do not recognize that as the practice of sitting somewhere quiet and undisturbed while doing the advised exercises in the book. These I am not yet attempting.

But change I am. I'm starting to sort actions, and things into what I need and do not need to spend time or attention or energy on. It's already simplifying my life.

I do not know if I'll ever meditate. I don't align myself as Buddhist or anything. I call myself independent, but if you've read this book this will make you smile. ha!

If you're willing to take the time to read carefully and slowly (notorious book eaters - of which I am one - will have to slow down) you will find something to take away from this book that can only benefit you.
on January 4, 2018
All I can say is that this book is utterly magical. I shared one lone page of it with a prominent friend who is renowned in the USA for his spiritual teachings, and through a sequence of 100% "impossible coincidences" the lives of five additional people were greatly changed. Through these six people, tens of thousands will eventually be impacted. I'm aware of how freakishly mysterious all this sounds, but each person in the chain knew someone else and either knew HH or his eminent co-author personally. I am humbled by what I am learning as I read these words, and deeply admire how well translated this work is from HH's mind to mine/all readers. It is a great honor to share this lifetime with HH and other wise teachers.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 18, 2016
it has been a fantastic book for me. I have previously had an experience that this book seems to confirm. I would urge people to read his other book"Becoming Enlightened" first. Also this is a book that requires some contemplation. It isn't "escape fiction" but is nonetheless fascinating.
on January 14, 2018
There are very few books that can change someone. "How to See Yourself As You Really Are" has made me a better person (and I am working to stay this way). I love getting swept away in the ideas of His Holiness (I am not Buddhist). I found this book to be very eye opening, very insightful and VERY interesting. It blew my mind conceptually. His Holiness uses interconnection of meditative concentration, love, and enlightenment to help us question our misguided notions of who we think we really are. This is a great book for those that meditate. There are suggestions at the end of each chapter to use during your meditation. Great book and meditation guide.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 14, 2015
Very interesting. A bit dry. Probably not for everyone. If you are looking for the typical Dalai Lama style, this is much denser. More of a guide for those studying Buddhism. I found it an interesting breakdown of the Buddhist way of thinking and how they meditate on the concept of the "I" (or that thereof) and emptiness.
on August 15, 2015
A wonderful group of CD's. I listened to them over and over so that I can really grasp and do what His Holiness the Dalai Lama says. Learning how you create your reality it difficult to grasp but I am leaning it by listening to the CD's. I am sure that this give you peace of mind because of the small times I have been able to do it, (to the best of my ability). If you want to see the world and yourself differently this is the book for you.
on December 2, 2016
He is a great force for promoting and helping to produce well behaving humans in the world.
The explanations of emptiness and it's importance in Tibetan Buddhism are pretty heavy sledding
unless you are used to understanding complex and wordy explanations though.
on February 17, 2017
I love the Dalai Lama - yet, this book is a bit disappointing as there is a great deal of reference to global issues rather than emphasis on the inner
workings of consciousness and becoming one's higher self.
on July 10, 2010
A previous reviewer says that His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama is the closest thing we have to Buddha on earth. I think his Holiness would disagree, first because he is an exceedingly humble man, and second because he would say, as the Buddha Shakyamuni did, that we are all Buddhas.

HOW TO SEE YOURSELF AS YOU REALLY ARE is a wonderful audiobook filled with wisdom and practical exercises to help us all learn mindfulness and compassion, the two watchwords of Buddhist practice. Six discs in length, HOW TO SEE YOURSELF AS YOU REALLY ARE is a detailed manual of practice. It is read by His Holiness' translator, Jeffrey Hopkins, who manages to work his way through some rather esoteric concepts without losing the thread of the Dalai Lama's lessons. Hopkins is not a theatrical reader, and this is not really an audiobook to be listened to while doing anything else (like driving); it requires VERY active listening.

My only negative criticism revolves around the complex, textbook quality of the material. Numbered lists, chapter subheadings, end of chapter exercises, and meditative reflections really require the student to take notes. There's no question that HOW TO SEE YOURSELF AS YOU REALLY ARE needed to be released with an accompanying paperback and a workbook. Fortunately, the paperback is available separately.

There's a lot of depth here, and you'll be listening to His Holiness' lessons many times over. Don't go into this audiobook thinking that it is going to be a Snooze Along with the Lama lecture.