Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How to Spot a Dangerous Man Before You Get Involved
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 1, 2006
The very best thing about this book is that is makes women who repeatedly choose dangerous men/situations look at their reasons for doing so. It does so in a non-judgemental but straight-forward way.

I think the book is a great primer for the identification of men with serious issues.

I also recommend The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout and The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker.
on October 2, 2005
A must-read for everybody: men and women can both learn to look for tell-tale signs of abnormal behavior. Very well presented with numerous examples to learn from.
on May 29, 2014
Anyone who has problems with mens ways in dating and out side of dating will be able spot them & wont waste their time on them.
i think same thing goes for some psychopath woman,which the ratio is a lot less then man 8 to 1
i am 36, i wish i read it earlier.
Sandra thanks a million for sharing your expertise with us
on June 9, 2013
She recommended this for me to be able to take a hard look at the men I dated, and why I dated them. It was enlightening for me. I tended to be a red-flag dismisser (?). Don't do that anymore. Enlightens one about being less of a risk-taker where men are concerned.
on November 7, 2006
Reviewed by GeorgeAnne Smith for Reader Views (10/06)

I think we all know a woman who seems never to meet, and get involved with, a man who isn't abusive. They tolerate being neglected, or worse, verbally and physically abused, time after time, by the men in their lives.

Making these bad relationship choices doesn't discriminate. It touches women of all ages, cultures, socioeconomic backgrounds, and all educational levels. In "How to Spot a Dangerous Man before You Get Involved," author Sandra L. Brown gives the readers a detailed description of eight types of men who may be dangerous to women. She explains how some TV shows, and movies have taught women to glamorize romances between the "bad boys" (dangerous men), and the ladies in their lives. She also explains why some women fail to see the warning signs of a dangerous man. These red flags are often ignored because of unspoken rules of society, assigned gender roles, family tradition, and even the woman's own history of abuse or mental illness issues.

"How to Spot a Dangerous Man" provides the readers with tools needed to sense and respond to your own red flags, look at past experiences and learn from them, be truthful to yourself, and develop the ability to consciously make better choices when it comes to relationships. You'll discover why you choose these men, how your own behavior can be self-sabotaging, why you ignore the read flag warnings, and the steps you can take to protect yourself by setting boundaries.

Every chapter includes true stories about women who tell of their successes, and failures of trying to change the way they choose men for dating/relationships. It's most helpful to obtain a copy of "Survival Guide for Women Workbook," a companion book to "How to Spot a Dangerous Man before You Get Involved." In the workbook, you'll assess your risk level, take stock of your dating history, and learn to put to use your critical-thinking skills when you consider becoming involved in a relationship.

For any woman on the threshold of dating, or one who has in the past made poor relationship choices, these two books are invaluable resources. I believe author Sandra L. Brown's insightful advice and warnings, could protect you from heartache, keep you safe, and possibly save your life. Reading these books will have you making better choices today.

Received book free of charge.
on January 24, 2016
Very insightful and practical information. Possibly one of the best self help books out there. I wasn't interested in getting the companion workbook when I first ordered this one, but after reading thru I am ordering it immediately. Not only good for spotting dangerous men in relationship scenarios, but for avoiding or recognizing any dangerous people in your life.
on September 28, 2005
As a mother of a teenage daughter and client advocate at a crisis pregnancy center I am so thankful to be able to share what I have learned in this book! I can now counsel with research to back up what needs to be told to the young women today about relationships with men. This knowledge is powerful! This book and workbook will enable you to help other women learn how to date safely! Thanks so much for sharing your work with us in an easy to understand way.
on September 27, 2005
I cannot tell how much this book has helped me in my search for answers to the reasons why I was attracted to a man who turned out to be bisexual. After 10 years I learned he had many male partners. After reading the book I realized that his personality profile possessed five of the eight dangerious personality types described in this book, and I didn't even know it...I really have learned to check my red alert check list now before I get serious with someone. After reading this book I am beginning to trust my own judgement where before I really questioned it.

This is a must read for your teenage daughters, as well.

Thanks Sandy for sharing this insight with us.
on January 19, 2016
This book should be required reading for EVERY woman of dating age! After exiting what turned out to be an abusive 9-month relationship, my counselor recommended this book. I thought this was the only dangerous man I had ever dated until I read this! Now I realize I have actually had FOUR dangerous men in my past! The women described and their dangerous men were a real "wake up" call for me. I will refer to it often as I go forward meeting future men!
on June 6, 2014
While a lot of the categories of men's behaviors were helpful - putting a box around a set of behaviors one didn't realize were connected - I think some of her criteria to determine who's "dangerous" are a little silly. For instance, having "untreated depression" is on the list. How are you supposed to determine if someone's depressed? The book doesn't cover psychiatric training. Another was if a man has ever had an STD. Seriously? She's assuming that no women ever get STDs, or applying a double standard.

In addition, while I appreciated her description of emotionally unavailable men and those with secret lives, it seemed like she forgot about them when concluding the book, which made a large part of it non-helpful.