Beauty Books with Buzz Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on December 31, 2014
Pros
+ CO-OP mode
+ Plenty of weapon combinations
+ Decent combat
+ Funny narrator who is also the bad guy of the story
+ Plenty of tutorials
+ Rpg and Shooter theme

Cons
- Short story
- Story ends on a cliff hangar

Maybe there will be a second game for How to Survive, but you never know nowadays. The game starts a little slow and by the end it gets somewhat repetitious grind for resources and ammo. Not too mention some of the same enemies are used over and over again with different skins and abilities. It feels like the game maker decided to recycle the enemies. The game does have boss fights, but don't expect too much from them. The game has a sort of role playing theme to it, but it doesn't emphasize on this alot. The game ends pretty much where it started and leaves you confused on what just happened. There are missions that you can take up it some time, which if you don't do the game goes by even quicker
|22 comments|Report abuse
on June 17, 2014
I enjoy this game quite a bit. I picked it up for cheap and have gone back to it a few times. Some people have reviewed it harshly, but I think that's unjustified. If you want a survival game with some crafting and RPG elements, this is for you. My guess is that the detractors didn't know what they were buying in to
3 people found this helpful
on February 29, 2016
Fantastic game!
on January 10, 2015
As soon i downloaded i start it to play and what can i say? is a nice game :) good for killing time.
on December 24, 2013
This game starts fun. The graphics are decent for the top-down style. Good lighting and water effects. Day and night cycle where night really amps up the challenge by making you watch your back constantly. A diverse crafting system. Decent skill tree options. Some of the voice acting is funny (I think intentionally) and unique.

I liked the survival aspects, which is the point of the game. You have to monitor your hunger, thirst, rest, and health. It's all manageable. You can collect empty bottles to store up water reserves, hunt animals and collect plants to cook at a campfire for food, collect herbs and create bandages to restore health, and secure a bunker to sleep in.

The combat is solid. The controls are easy. You craft increasingly strong weapons as you progress and different weapons have unique advantages. The machete cuts through plants and carves arrows from sticks, the bow is powerful and the arrows recoverable, the gun is rapid fire with plenty of ammo on the islands, the boomerang is very powerful but not as smooth and fast as the bow, etc. Melee combat animations are fluid with just enough variety--more than I expected from a game with this visual style.

While the gameplay mechanics are very solid, the storyline becomes more of a chore than fun unfortunately. It's a series of fetch quests that take you back and forth across the maps. Every time you pass one direction and clear the large amount of zombies, you have to then fight them all over again on the way back due to a fast respawn rate. This turned the game into a slow fetch quest grind for me and I lost interest about halfway through. If you make a wrong turn, it's even worse, because now you're fighting respawns over and over and you're not even in the right spot of the map.

You can't save the game except at story checkpoints and that can take a bit of time. Perhaps, if I could save at will, I could have tolerated the grind in smaller doses.

Maybe it's just me, but I had trouble with the quest early on where I had to collect meat from a deer. I kept wandering the map looking for deer and could never find them. When I finally would spot one, I would have to clear hordes of zombies to clear a path to it and these actions usually scared the deer away, leaving me to wander yet some more. The worst is when you're hunting deer at night and the extra zombies come to chase you down. You need to keep your flashlight on these nighttime zombies to keep them at bay, which makes focusing on the fleeting deer more difficult. The game says you can track the deer once you injure it by following blood on the ground. It's not that easy to do when the ground is already covered in excessive blood from slaying zombies. I eventually caught the deer and made the mistake of cooking the meat, which didn't complete the quest, so I had to repeat it all over again.

I really wanted to like this game. I actually told my friends how much I enjoyed it at the beginning. Then the grind just beat me down.

There is also inventory issues. Some of the crafting recipes call for 5 or 6 items. You're already stocking ammo, weapons, water, food, bandages, quest items, etc and the 25-item inventory fills fast. I don't really consider this a negative, because it more accurately reflects the reality of surviving on these islands. It might frustrate some players though. 25 slots is still considerably more than some games permit.

One small nitpick when it comes to resting: you aren't allowed to unless your rest meter is low enough. One time I was by a shelter at just over 50% fatigue. I couldn't rest before setting out on the next leg of my journey. That's just silly, because you can make adjustments on the other survival factors whenever you please.

As much as I would like to recommend this game for all its positive, interesting concepts, I just can't because the story is a major drag.
47 people found this helpful
on February 5, 2015
Gratulacje game
on January 17, 2014
As long as you don't take it too seriously, this is a pretty fun game. The "survival guides" add a light bit of humor to the game.
One person found this helpful
on January 30, 2014
Like killing Zombies? Like Post Apocalyptic futures? Want to Survive? This is the game for you, with a quirky storyline and lots and lots of blood and gore to keep you entertained for hours!
2 people found this helpful
on August 3, 2014
Not at all what you think you are getting. The game is soooo difficult and you die so often it gets boring, just trying to make it out of the first area. This game should have been free.
on August 3, 2014
Fun game
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.