Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 23 reviews
on July 27, 2016
It is hard to find words to describe this CD. I do not buy many CDs and, despite the modest price for a used copy, I waited a while before purchasing this one. I was afraid I would be disappointed.

I wasn't. In fact, I want to listen to it every day but I hold back because I don't want to ruin the sense of sacred by allowing it to become overly familiar. As I try to formulate the basis for this sensation, several things come to mind. First, the choice of spirituals and gospel music is an excellent mix and the arrangements and medleys are superb. They are simultaneously traditional and new, so that the original hymn is not lost but shines with a freshness that brings it life. Chanticleer's performance seems flawless without sounding flawless, if that makes sense. In other words, the performance does not sound like it was carefully orchestrated so as to be "perfect", but rather it carries a looser, deeply-felt sense of spirit that feels authentic on many levels.

I also found it interesting that, though I generally think of Chanticleer as a group of white guys, when I first listened to this album, I could not tell the race of the performers nor did I care. This is perhaps the greatest indicator of their success here - to have transcended such boundaries and entered the heart of music and the Gospel, our common sacred home.
on April 5, 2013
Easter Sunday morning I woke to a KUSC broadcast on my ITouch of Chanticleer's ''Amazing Grace':'How Sweet the Sound'. For a moment, I wondered whether I'd finally crossed over.

From a vantage point that sees over 70++ years I was allowed the momentary gift of 'sight beyond time'. ( After all: the Ba'al Shem Tov told us:'G-D is truly beyond time'.) And I've no doubt that, as she sings, Bishop Flunder is indeed a witness in G-D's time

Amazing Grace: How Sweet the Sound-- my Story:
For my family, WWII was a time of travel over great distance. In 1946 we lived north of Seattle, my father had returned from a short tour as US Navy Chaplain and subsequently served as Chaplain/Community Worker to the returning Pacific Coast military. This was Scandinavian Country with Nordic folk songs, guitars, fiddles, and zithers. Later, we toured with a Rabbi who would tuck his fiddle in his arm, play and dance the Hora with me! Then my Mother sent me to a (Dutch) Christian Reform private school where English was the Second Language-- We'd visit its large church with a pipe organ that rumbled and shook the pews-- and a carillon. But I never heard a breath of Amazing Grace!

In early 1947 we set out heading East from Seattle, across the Rockies for a return to the family home in the midwest. The King family home was set on a small, remote mountain in Southern Indiana. There was no electricity, at best the roads were gravel, more often they were dirt trails. Most of the mountain people traveled horseback or by mule.

The church was the community center; an ancient wood placard stated that the structure was built by the King family in 1878.
There was no electricity; kerosene lamps were used after nightfall. The congregation seating consisted of two pews at the front followed by rows of back-less split-log benches. Up front there was a pump-organ but the mice had devoured the bellows long ago. There were a few seldom used hymnals with shaped notes. Few congregants were literate.
The music consisted of the obligatory Anglican 'Glory Be to the Father'
Precious Memories
Amazing Grace
Coming Home

For this small congregation of (perhaps) twenty-five people the Songs were lined out, verse by verse, by a deacon standing at the front with responses shouted back by a senior-citizen lady, blessed with a big contralto voice with timbre just on the tenorish side of Jimmy Durante.

I was fascinated with the music, because to me it was fresh and 'stuck inside'. This was the Music of my ancestors. Furthermore I'd been blessed by observing how they must have lived and worshiped from the late 19th Century to that time.

Further History:

I was twice blessed during 1980's with the participation in Jestor Hairston's concerts. Long before Bob Marley then so-called Christian Reggae, Hairston brought us 'Mary's Boy Child' and long before Lilies of the Field, Hairston brought us "Amen" as sung by Wings Over Jordan Choir and the Golden Gate Quartet.

Twenty years ago I served a bass soloist in Seattle's First African Methodist Episcopal (FAME) All-Male choir. FAME had five choirs each responsive to a differing congregational generation. I also sang and soloed in a small Choir led by former Wing's Over Jordan conductor Charles King. To listen, participate, and observe stylistic differences within African-American music across more than five generations remains an a priceless ongoing learning experience.

The CD Title: "How Sweet the Sound" is a a line from John Newton's 18th Century Anglican Hymn: 'Amazing Grace'. Later, in America 'Amazing Grace' then became the thematic verse of the 19th Century's 'Second Great Awakening'. Coincident with the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's, 'Amazing Grace' became an iconic African-American Spiritual which continues to reflect a long, oft-tenuous, intensely shared African-American and Northern-European religious experience.

The CD: takes time to absorb and appreciate. The Music is flawless. Bishop Flunder and Joseph Jannings are consummate artists. Eric AlaTorre's bass is certainly centered in the gospel tradition.

Easter morning, after a few blinks, I cleared any confusion of Bishop Yvette Flunder with that dear soul ~ 70-years past. I did get my Keurig Coffee cup and then ordered the this CD 'How Sweet the Sound' Poste-Haste!

And, as I recall: Paul Robeson expanded the verse as: Amazing Grace: How Sweet the Sound, that saved a SOUL like ME!

dov
on May 30, 2016
NOT my cuppa tea... Chanticleer is great but I prefer their classical performances of music. Palestrina, Handel, Byrd, etc.
on July 20, 2016
for Chanticleer fans who like spirituals, this record is the top of the mountain. Bishop Yvette Fulder adds the perfect touch as the soloist.
on September 5, 2015
Ever so Touching Songs.
on January 12, 2013
I especially enjoy the real Spirituals on this CD, beautifully sung. I wish the recording was all
Spirituals, but at least the Gospel songs have some of the stellar qualities of the Spirituals
and there's no screaming.
SL
on March 25, 2015
Beautiful music, easy transaction with a great seller. Thank you.
on February 5, 2013
I owned this CD before. It is great. Bishop Flunder has a voice that won't be stopped! I was glad it was still available for purchase since I lost mine.
on April 23, 2015
Outstanding. Recommend.
on August 13, 2014
The best album from the best singers - Chanticleer!