BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 29, 2015
This book works. It's hard to believe but if you read each chapter and do the exercises (for practice) and then try it out on your kids (or in my case, my kindergarten aged niece) -- it actually works! Here's an example: my niece was having a WWIII type of tantrum one day because her candy cane had broken in half. (It was Christmas time.) Her parents, older sister, grandma, everyone was telling her that it was no big deal, she can have another candy cane, it will still taste just the same, etc., anything to get her to see reason and calm down. It only made her fit worse. Things escalated. Her mother started shouting threats to send her to her room. Then - I tried something that I had read in the book: Let the child have the feelings she's feeling and let her know that she's having those feelings. So, I went over to her and said -- just like one of the book's exercises: "It's terrible. Your candy cane broke, and now it's not a perfect candy cane anymore. Even though it will taste the same, it's not a candy CANE anymore. I can see how upsetting it is, because it's not the perfect candy cane that it used to be."

And boom - she completely calmed down. She sat next to me without saying anything, but I could tell, she was finally feeling what she was feeling -- rather than being upset and fighting to claim her right to feel what she was feeling, if that makes sense. And that was that. She stopped being upset and ate her broken candy cane.

There are so many other examples like this -- the 'one word' tip, the 'describe it/don't tell them what to do' tip, the 'write a wish list together' tip... I could go on. They really work!
22 comments| 349 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2017
My my granddaughter's great great aunt recommended this for her first year of teaching teen. I read it first and loved the suggestions and illustrations were great. The great great aunt had used it when she was a counselor for mothers of troubled teens.
on September 27, 2017
Best book about parenting, very insightful and actually helped!
on July 3, 2017
Still a classic and for good reason. Very useful ways of improving communication with teens.
on January 11, 2017
I learned a lot from the book. I will read it again. I have been trying things that it suggest and they are working. It is helping our home run smoother.
on June 22, 2017
Great book, learn how to talk and listen to your kids!
on May 30, 2017
Very good book. Honest and helpful.
on October 15, 2015
This book has some mazing techniques for how to change your language with young children. I tried just a few with my 4.5 year-old and I found myself getting a lot less impatient with her when we have long stretches alone. I have also used some of the methods with the kids in my preschool. Children just want to feel heard!
on May 9, 2017
This book has Good examples, and excellent communication ideas, I would recommend this book for anyone and everyone who needs a word to be heard.
on September 9, 2017
Great book, comprehensible and full of advises based on real cases. Helps to understand kids thinking and provide a guideline on how to deal with them.