Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Tim and Faith Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 21, 2012
This is a great book that goes into the easily over-looked details on how to progress from a basic wall-assisted handstand to a free standing hand stand push-up. Hand stand walking is thrown in there for fun as well. The author did a great job explaining the concepts of each progression. The images alone are great references. Whether you are doing handstands for crossfit, to let your inner child out, or just a fun bbq party trick, this book will give the simple progressions to get there.

I have only had it a short time and already gained the confidence to get off the wall as well as take my first hand-stand walking steps.
13 helpful votes
14 helpful votes
on December 31, 2012
This inexpensive small book contains easy to read (and understand) instructions. The author progressively takes you from standard push-ups to a free-standing handstand and beyond. The black & white photos may not be of the highest studio quality, but they do give you a reasonably visual guide of body position and form.

I would have liked Patrick Barrett to cover more progressions (a.k.a. lead-up skills) and to cover Shoulder and Back flexibility in more detail (as Logan Christopher's "Secrets of the Handstand" does).

Although a bit lean, this well presented book does contain enough information to allow you to work your way to a free-standing handstand.
8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
on November 22, 2014
I was expecting something a bit more detailed, and perhaps with a bit more science to it. Instead, it doesn't seem that far from what I could have figured out with a few e-mails to my former coach.

Still, it's useful, especially to beginners with little training history. The language is clear and concise, and Barrett doesn't bother trying to go beyond what is absolutely necessary. That's fine for something like this. Anyone more experienced looking for something more in-depth, try elsewhere.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on January 26, 2013
The heading might seem unimpressive but it's like an 8second improvement to my previous free handstand hold. The tips are really helping me with technique, in terms of approach and small tweaks to technique. I'm confident I'll be able to hold a 30second handstand soon, with the freestyle handstand push up my ultimate goal. I would buy this book again, thanks.
9 helpful votes
10 helpful votes
on March 26, 2013
I always wanted to be able to hold a handstand, but I'm on the bigger side so I thought it might be a little bit of a challenge. The progressions and pictures in this book make it much more attainable. I haven't been working with it too long but I'm totally comfortable in a wall handstand and I'm getting closer to a free handstand every day.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on May 13, 2012
I really liked the way the Author broke down the handstand. I started using his techniques as soon as I received this book and now I can do a free standing handstand. The philosophy of thinking about standing up on your feet really helped when you start lean back or forward in to the wall. I'm now working on free standing handstand pushups, thank you for a simple but effective method for the handstand. For the price you can't beat this information!
17 helpful votes
18 helpful votes
on July 13, 2017
Not that good a read.
on August 12, 2013
This is not a quick and easy way of doing handstand movements. It is a methodical approach that shoots for success through proper training and progression. If you are having problems with handstand movements, I highly recommend it.
2 helpful votes
on March 25, 2013
The balance and control you have to have in a handstand always appealed to me. This book is teaching me how to get that balance and control and I'm really enjoying it. I feel like I'm getting stronger in my shoulders and my hands and I can already do a handstand for a second or two.
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on August 8, 2015
Very disappointed. I am an ex-gymnast (over 15 years ago) who never was great at free-standing handstands and I was looking to get better at them as well as learning how to do a press to handstand. This book leaves out the most basic of concepts like how to hold a hollow position and focuses pretty much exclusively on arm/shoulder strength. Even the photos of the author doing handstands look terrible with a big arch.