Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums iPhone 7 CM4 Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer Transparent Transparent Transparent  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition GNO Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Music From Another Dimension! forum

How the mighty have fallen!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2012 6:56:51 PM PST
SteveMor says:
Wow, Music From Another Dimension debuts ONLY at #5 with 63,000 copies sold. They did even worse than the new Van Halen album did last year with 187,000 (it didn't sell much more after that). The radio is no longer a friend to Aerosmith who helped push their single Jaded in 2001 and Just Push play to a great debut at 240,000 copies. There were some great songs on the new album in spite of being full of crappy ballads, but radio won't help Aerosmith anymore (their time has past). Goes to show you without hit songs, even the best classic groups of all time can get little momentum when selling a new album. Even Honkin On Bobo sold 160,500 copies and went Gold. The new album won't do half of that! It had to happen eventually, Aerosmith is officially a classic rock touring band (one of the best though). With hit albums in the 70's, 80's, and 90's they should be able to fill arenas until their too old to stand up there and play! :)

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 3:15:39 AM PST
Coltrane says:
American Idol, 7 ballads, super BRICKWALLED audio, The Global Warming Tour. Nuff said.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 10:52:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 10:58:14 AM PST
Tuco says:
Aerosmith Tour Reportedly In Chaos

Page Six have report based on two unnamed sources, which states that the band members are "barely speaking to each other."
-snip-
And another source told them, "Tyler is very unhappy about the reception of the album, and is blaming Columbia."

full article:

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/aerosmith_tour_in_tailspin_Ws5K3NTPDdreEW5dW8U0hM

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 10:43:46 PM PST
JJ says:
It was a nice run! But the time has come to look back on a wonderful career, say Thank You and Goodbye. Rocks and Get Your Wings will never reincarnate themselves, and in a way they never should. They were a product of their time and that is what made them great. I'm just sore I missed it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:50:41 PM PST
Scott Stone says:
Not true, Van Halen is about 75k shy of a gold album according to the latest soundscan sales as they stand at 426k albums sold to date. Van Halen's album is actually great. On the other hand Aerosmith's album is a turd, not a surprise considering the drama in the band for a quite a while now.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:10:16 PM PST
SteveMor says:
All you have to do is look at the chart positions of the Van Halen album after it's 1st week and than track how much those chart positions sold to know it has NEVER sold close to 500,000 copies. What they are talking about is how many copies have been produced and shipped. That's why so many albums go Gold or Platinum long before they ever sell. They are talking about shipped copies, in other words that's how many copies are out there (produced) and sitting on shelves, online retailers, the scare record store shelves, etc. Aerosmith will probably pull off the same thing although they may not produce quite that many because the first weeks sales were not as high. I could show you example after example of this but TRUE SALES is a different story. 5 years from now A Different Kind of Truth will still be sitting at about the same amount of sales. They probably won't need to make anymore.

Wan't the ultimate example? Michael Jackson. Even has his commercial success was going down the tubes (long before his death), his new album sales were ALWAYS multi-platinum even though they never sold them. Only since his death and renewed popularity did all those copies finally get sold and now new ones produced!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 9:33:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 9:45:07 AM PST
The VH album sold 187k its first week. I don't recall what it sold the second week but I know it put them around 250k so its very conceivable they are close to gold in actual sales. These are the hard numbers, not shipment numbers. As of July, 2012 according to Billboard, VH sold 395,000 copies. Now why is this important? Because Billboard uses the RIAA's method, which is sales minus returns while Soundscan is total shipments.

You are correct that many times they count what has been shipped and not sold, but that is not the case here. The VH had many more albums shipped than the 187k it sold the first week and if all shipments were taken into account it most assuredly would be at least gold by now, unless you feel 500k haven't been shipped, which is highly unlikely.

It will still have a difficult time going gold with the tour on 'hiatus'

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 11:45:57 PM PST
There are only four ballads on this. As for radio play, my local classic rock station(KLOS) has played songs from this. They even played the whole album on the day of release.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 10:08:12 AM PST
David Parker says:
The difference between the VH record and this is that the VH fans got the word out immediately that the album was killer. On the other hand, is took no time at all for fans to discover that the new Aerosmith is a poor attempt at a "comeback".

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 11:13:17 AM PST
SteveMor says:
Yea according to the user reviews that's seems to be true. But as far as this fan is concerned, the VH album is a pale imitation of any classic VH material with DLR and the Aerosmith album while full of ballad garbage, at least has 3-4 killer songs on it!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 7:30:09 PM PST
Moonstone says:
Yeah, it's disappointing that you don't hear enough Aerosmith on the radio anymore. Good thing I have all their albums so I can listen to them whenever I want. The radio gods must have been brainwashed by the cookie cutters (Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj, One Direction, etc.), because you just don't hear enough of these guys on the radio, and that needs to change. BRING BACK THE CLASSICS!! LONG LIVE THE KINGS!!

Posted on Apr 10, 2016 3:57:51 PM PDT
Bob Bykowski says:
Moonstone, let's face it. It's very sad, but as far as radio programmers and the majority of the music buying public is concerned, rap and hip-hop have overtaken rock as the music of choice and the main cultural influence out there. This is the reason why new albums by the great classic rock bands that are still around are not selling. The kids (when I say kids, I mean people roughly age 16-30) just don't care anymore. They would rather listen to crap about urban drug dealing, gang fighting and referring to women as "bitches " and "ho's", set to monotonous rhythms.

A band like the Stones recognizes this, and that's why they haven't put out a new studio album since 2005.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2016 9:00:15 PM PDT
SteveMor says:
The Stones are releasing a new album in 2016 a bluesy record with new songs and some blues covers. A big tour is to follow!

Posted on Apr 11, 2016 7:55:28 PM PDT
Bob Bykowski says:
It's amazing when you think of the fact that it takes current and older bands today anywhere from two to four years just to put out ONE album, and then you stop and realize that the Beatles wrote, recorded and released everything that they ever did in seven-and-a-half years ! That's an incredible, surreal accomplishment !

Posted on May 21, 2016 9:01:46 PM PDT
SteveMor says:
The Beatles are far from the only one. Elton John released all of his most successful albums and hit singles between 1971-1978 eight albums all platinum or multi platinum, six of them number one in the first week (a new record), 23 top forty hits, 15 of those top 10, and 1 of them top #2, 6 of them #1! He would have 30 more top 40 hits during the rest of his career over the next 25 years as well but NOTHING compared to those seven years.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  May 21, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about
Music From Another Dimension!
Music From Another Dimension! by Aerosmith (Audio CD - 2012)
3.8 out of 5 stars (354)