BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 30, 2017
I read this series years ago and was so excited to see that it is back. This author is amazing at placing you in the minds and troubles of the characters. This is a little spicier than her other series (The Gray Whale Inn mysteries--another great read!), but nothing explicit or too raunchy. The bumps along the way (I mean, what kind of read would it be without some twists and turns?), almost seem commonplace as the character is so well developed.

Sophie is successful in her career, her love life, her wardrobe, and at keeping her dirty (hairy) little secret. Sophie is a werewolf, living in the middle of a big city, on the fast track to partner in a prestigious accounting firm, dating a hunky lawyer, with a mother who practices in the paranormal and provides her with concoctions to keep Sophie from transforming into her furry side at inconvenient moments. The scrapes, and razor-burn, are all part of keeping her world in balance.

Living with the resentment of her father sending her mother away with the half-human, half-werewolf progeny, Sophie resists anything to do with her paternal heritage. She has no insight into the dark and veiled world of werewolves, except the unsavory details contained within the pages of books she has read. Those are enough to seal her determination to try to deny that part of her DNA growing up.

The confusion and anger cause Sophie's hackles to rise as werewolves begin popping up and intruding on her human life that she has worked so hard to build. Her animal instincts, that she has tried to suppress for so long, are unleashed with the uncomfortable experiences. As Sophie gets dragged into that unknown world, with a culture and hierarchy all its own, she struggles to make sense of all that she thought she knew.

Follow Sophie through this rollicking trilogy as she navigates the twists and turns of an ancient werewolf code with a modern spin. The inner conflict, as well as external influences, send Sophie to question everything she once believed as truth.

An excellent series that is hard to put down!
VINE VOICEon September 16, 2017
I have to tell you that I am fan of both urban fantasy, and werewolves. I am also a fan of Karen MacInerney. I have read her cozy mysteries for a while now and enjoyed every single one. I didn't know what to expect with Howling at the moon. A cozy werewolf story? Well, it is, and it works. It is a unique take on werewolves in many ways, and it still has the quirky and fun characters I expect to find in this authors books.

Sophie is a werewolf a half werewolf, but one with no pack, no training and only a bit of help from her charming but slightly ditsy mother. Mom is a witch by the way, and she's pretty good at her craft. He sweet, and bubbly nature, as well as that dash of ditsy are great, but as a pack leader, nope. Great mom though. So, since Sophie's main interest in the whole werewolf thing is to not be one, things get complicated and funny. Until she happens to run into a full blooded, scorching hot male werewolf one day. It was pure happenstance. . . or was it?
on October 1, 2017
I loved this book it has everything you need Romance ,Fun and Adventure. A great start to a cute fun series with characters you will fall in love with I am so happy there are two more books in the series to enjoy. Be warned once you start reading you will not want to stop and will be up late into the night reading this book.
on January 28, 2009
Sophie is a werewolf that doesn't want to be a werewolf. Her mom is a witch and her father is not in the picture. Her mother was arrested for murder, Sophie and her best friend Lindsey begin investigating to clear her mother's name. As I said, Sophie is a werewolf and she tries to keep a low profile and stay away from other werewolves. A new werewolf shows up in town while there are claims of wild animal attacks. Sophie is also a target of quite a few threats and she's trying to make partner at her firm, she's an auditor.

I really really enjoyed the book. Now with that said, the main character sucks as a heroine. She is shallow, selfish, a ditz, dishonest (she doesn't hesitate to tell a lie), a betrayer to her best friend and boyfriend, has no standards or moral center, I could go on and on.... What I found really odd about her character is that she has self-esteem issues but she is really arrogant and conceited. I was blown away that she ran from court because she couldn't be associated with her mother who arrested for murder and definitely needed her daughter's support. I was equally floored that she was ashamed to let her boyfriend meet her mother. Really, many of the issues dealing with Sophie are things high school age girls would be dealing with and Sophie is 28, she really is immature. The really sad part about this is that she doesn't evolve at all, there is a second book and I'm hoping at some point those issues will be addressed.

Another very annoying recurring problem in the novel is Sophie's constant inane ramblings of the same thing over and over and over, they are big distractions and I think a pathetic use of filling pages. I found myself skipping right through and followed the story just fine. The plot is pretty predictable and the ending is anti-climatic. Despite all that I listed, I found the book addicting and I will have to compliment the author on her ability to make me fall out my chair laughing, she really has a knack for humor and wonderful dialogue. I think another reason I kept going is because I wanted to see what bimbo werewolf would get herself into next and how she would make it about herself. Going into the next book, I don't really have high hopes for Sophie's character but I do expect a good laugh and an enjoyable read.
on May 12, 2011
I like paranormal action-y detective stories (the Dresden Files, anyone?). I love werewolf stories too, hence I'm always hunting for new ones to read, so I tried Howling at the Moon.
Unfortunately I couldn't get into the book, even though technically components are all there: supernaturals, living mostly undercover, murder of a local politician, some peril from unknown enemy. But... Characters seem to be uninspiring, problems that main heroine faces are kinda blah (co-worker that suspects her being a werewolf? really?), the primary love interests are a bit bland (one smart guy, one extra macho-guy), and forced conflicts are pretty boring.
There are some attempts at humor, but again, didn't seem organic enough. So, I won't be reading anything from this series any more. Ok, maybe if I get really desperate for a new book and the usual suspects are all re-read a dozen times. If you haven't yet read Mercy Thompson series ( latest as of May 2011 River Marked (Mercy Thompson, Book 6) ) or the Hollows from Kim Harrison (Pale Demon (The Hollows, Book 9)) read those first.
on July 3, 2008
When i started the book it felt like a good funny break, and it was. Hilarious in places and with really HOT men prowling the pages.
The heroine tries to stay human and sane. Her mother being a witch and accused of murder, her human boyfriend arranging her 1st date's 1 year anniversary, her boss arranging a critical meeting and a new HOT werewolf in town all a few days before the full moon will make her task even more difficult... In addition other weird things start to happen and her nosy assistant is just the tip of the iceberg...
Enjoy the read but don't expect a marvelous book.
It's good, funny, it has action but you can almost predict it... hope the second is better....
on November 26, 2013
The writing style was not for me. I can't tell you a bunch about the book because after 3 chapters and reading ahead a few bits to see if there were changes, I couldn't continue. The "voice" of the main character and how the plot unfolded left me wanting to throw the book across the room. i found almost everything about the story inane, vapid, stupid, etc.... I don't recall any typos, or plot holes or anything like that. This just wasn't a good book for me to try and read.
on October 1, 2017
Werewolves and blackmail and murder, oh my!! That’s what you’ll get when you read Howling at the Moon by Karen MacInerney. It’s the first book in the Tales of an Urban Werewolf series and I’m pretty sure you’ll want to read the other books in the series as well!
Sophie Garou might be a werewolf but she doesn’t let it stop her from being top dog at her job, having a super sexy human boyfriend, and ultimately, solving a murder! She didn’t set out to do the last part, but when her mom is accused of murdering a client (oh, I did I mention her mom’s a witch?), Sophie takes it upon herself to clear the proprietor of Sit a Spell’s name!
This is not a short book! There’s lots of action taking place between Sophie’s job woes, keeping her boyfriend and best friend out of the loop in terms of her “secret”, ferreting out a blackmailer, and keeping off the radar of a local wolf pack. She also meets another Werewolf (a HOT one) and has a hard time sniffing out if he’s a friend or foe.
The author does a great job of vividly setting up the scenes throughout the book and the quirky characters effortlessly spring to life off the page! Whether you’re a fan of mystery, romance, or paranormal, with a good dose of comic relief (just wait until you read the full moon scenes!), you’ll undoubtedly enjoy this book! I am eager to read the next book in the series.
I voluntarily read and reviewed this book.
on September 29, 2017
3.5 stars
HOWLING AT THE MOON is light and entertaining, ideal for escapist reading. I enjoy MacInerney’s casual, conversational writing style and the liberal sprinkling of humor within the pages.

Sophie’s life is pretty perfect with a great job, good friends, and a hunky boyfriend. Everything a girl could ask for…except that she is a werewolf. With the help of daily doses of wolfsbane tea, she is able to keep her lupine urges at bay other than the four equinox days every year. Usually, she is able to get out of town for the change, but this fall equinox is proving difficult. Her boss insists that she give a big presentation to a potential client, her boyfriend has big plans for their anniversary, someone is threatening to “out” her, and her mother, a psychic witch, has been arrested for the murder of local councilman Ted Brewster. To top it all off, she encounters another werewolf who does unexpected things to her libido and a pack of “made” werewolves is after her.

Full disclosure – I am not much of a romance fan, but HOWLING AT THE MOON is much more than a paranormal romance. I admit that I am intrigued at what the future holds for Sophie and Tom, but I kept reading to see who was threatening Sophie and to solve the murder mystery.

Sophie, despite her supernatural problem, is a pretty average city girl. I admire her drive to save her mothe, but have issue with her making out with her BFF’s boyfriend and lying to those most important to her. She is impulsive but obviously intelligent. Mom Carmen is interesting but, oh so, flighty. Heath, Sophie’s boyfriend, must be the most trusting man out there. His total acceptance of Sophie’s explanations without question is odd. Lindsey makes a good sidekick, and mysterious Tom is compelling. The murder mystery makes sense, and the Austin setting is fun for me since I am a Texan.

I liked HOWLING AT THE MOON and will read the next book in the series. I recommend it to paranormal fans and those who like romance with a heavy dose of mystery and humor.

I received a copy of this book from the author and voluntarily shared my thoughts here.
on September 16, 2017
Sophie Garou is looking forward to finally making partner at her accounting firm. That is if she can get through the next few days. Of course, that was before her mother, a self professed witch, was arrested for murdering one of her clients. And she is trying to dodge a meeting with a client slated for one of the four days a year that she cannot avoid turning into a werewolf...yes, a werewolf...as well as put off her human and clueless boyfriend for their anniversary dinner. And then there is the new werewolf, Tom, who has suddenly appeared in town and is intensely and inexplicably attractive to Sophie. Can she get through the next few days, prove her mother innocent, and still make partner without letting the world know of her little "problem." This first book in a new series was a hilarious read, with some genuine laugh out loud moments. I can't figure out which was funnier, the idea of her shaving her legs in the bathroom regularly before her client meetings, or running through the streets with her Kate Spade purse clenched in her jaws. I also liked her relationships with her best friend, Lindsey, her suspicious assistant Sally, and her boss. I can't wait to read the next book in this series to see what new trouble Sophie gets into. Disclosure: I am voluntarily reviewing this book.