- Series: Moody Classics
- Paperback: 272 pages
- Publisher: Moody Publishers; New edition edition (June 1, 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0802456588
- ISBN-13: 978-0802456588
- Product Dimensions: 5 x 0.5 x 7 inches
- Shipping Weight: 8.8 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 258 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #51,641 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret (Moody Classics) Paperback – June 1, 2009
|New from||Used from|
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
About the Author
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Two things to say about the Kindle edition:
1) It reads very much like an OCR scanned version of the original book, but with very little subsequent proof-reading/editing. When you read the Kindle book, you will have no difficulty in reading the words on the page (letter-for-letter, they're all correct), but you will struggle a bit with incorrect formatting.
This is most obvious when the author quotes Hudson Taylor's words for himself. I imagine in the original printed form, Hudson Taylor's words would have been written with indented paragraphs to delineate them from the author's own words. In the Kindle edition, this indentation is missed, so what you read is the authors words, Hudson Taylor's words, then the author's words again, with no actual quotation marks or paragraph indentation to indicate whose words are whose.
2) This is the original, unrevised edition of the book "Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret" that was originally published in 1932. Subsequently, the language of the book reflects the language of that era, and is more difficult to read for modern contemporary readers. There have been been multiple other reprints/editions of the book that have subsequently been released under different publishers, some with fancy forewards added in. But the version I would recommend is the one edited by Gregg Lewis, which was authorised by the Overseas Mission Fellowship (the mission organisation that Hudson Taylor founded) and updated the book's language to reflect a more modern and readable tone.
Sadly, despite the Gregg Lewis revised edition being over two decades old (being first published in 1990), as far as I'm aware there's no Kindle edition available for it yet, so you'll have to look to paperback/hardback to find that edition. If you find the Amazon page for the Gregg Lewis edition of the book, then click "Kindle Edition", it takes you here, which is misleading as these are clearly different books.
For the reasons stated above, I can only really give the Kindle edition 3 stars, rather than the 5 I otherwise would have awarded it had the above issues been addressed.
This book is definitely worth reading.. Lynn Berntson
This book details the development of Hudson Taylor's faith from his teenage conversion to his last day on earth. One of the highlights for me involved reading about how Taylor grew to understand faith in everyday decisions, such as even doing without butter and milk, before God could guide him to the next step. Another involved learning how Hudson Taylor had to experience his own time in a "cave" (see 1 Samuel 22:1-2) before emerging as the great missions leader we celebrate today. Perhaps most inspiring for me was the record of Taylor's paralysis experience in 1874-1875, when he maintained his focus and determinedly kept up with his mounting correspondence through dictating to others.
This book is not as neatly written as I would have liked. Also, I must agree with what has previously been written about the Kindle edition.
However, this work did succeed in inspiring me to grow in my prayer life and seek the life of faith and perseverance that Hudson Taylor demonstrated in the most trying of circumstances.
Most recent customer reviews
This book is challenging and convicting
This book will draw you closer to Christ
This book will motivate you towards mission
This book...Read more