- Mass Market Paperback: 256 pages
- Publisher: Moody Publishers (September 30, 1955)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0802400299
- ISBN-13: 978-0802400291
- Product Dimensions: 4.2 x 0.6 x 7 inches
- Shipping Weight: 4 ounces
- Average Customer Review: 231 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #550,988 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Hudson Taylors Spiritual Secret Mass Market Paperback – September 30, 1955
|New from||Used from|
Find Rare and Collectible Books
Discover rare, signed and first edition books on AbeBooks, an Amazon Company. Learn More on AbeBooks.com.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Back Cover
HUDSON TAYLOR'S SPIRITUAL SECRET
You many be unfamiliar with the spiritual magnitude of Hudson Taylor, a great and godly man who was a pioneer missionary to China. That's why this classic biography has been revised to make it accessible to today's reader. You will be amazed at the relevance of this man's life as you see how effectively he modeled the integration of truth, faith, humility, and obedience. His secret of the "exchanged life," and his profound dependence on the Lord for every need, must be discovered by a new generation.
Physician, evangelist, administrator, visionary, compassionate husband and father--Hudson Taylor filled all these roles, and more. He left a lasting mark on the great country of China, and few in the history of the Chinese church have accomplished so much with so little.
Hudson Taylor's life exemplifies how to wholly trust God because God is indeed enough. That was the "secret" by which he lived and it can be yours as well.
WHAT READERS ARE SAYING...
"Hudson Taylor's utter dependence on God amazed me as did the growth and extent of his ministry." -C.J
"This book has shown me what it is to walk by faith, to trust Jesus--no matter the situation or the circumstances." -C.C.
" --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
About the Author
DR. & MRS. HOWARD TAYLOR, son and daughter-in-law of J. Hudson Taylor, also served as missionaries to China.
Top customer reviews
Two things to say about the Kindle edition:
1) It reads very much like an OCR scanned version of the original book, but with very little subsequent proof-reading/editing. When you read the Kindle book, you will have no difficulty in reading the words on the page (letter-for-letter, they're all correct), but you will struggle a bit with incorrect formatting.
This is most obvious when the author quotes Hudson Taylor's words for himself. I imagine in the original printed form, Hudson Taylor's words would have been written with indented paragraphs to delineate them from the author's own words. In the Kindle edition, this indentation is missed, so what you read is the authors words, Hudson Taylor's words, then the author's words again, with no actual quotation marks or paragraph indentation to indicate whose words are whose.
2) This is the original, unrevised edition of the book "Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret" that was originally published in 1932. Subsequently, the language of the book reflects the language of that era, and is more difficult to read for modern contemporary readers. There have been been multiple other reprints/editions of the book that have subsequently been released under different publishers, some with fancy forewards added in. But the version I would recommend is the one edited by Gregg Lewis, which was authorised by the Overseas Mission Fellowship (the mission organisation that Hudson Taylor founded) and updated the book's language to reflect a more modern and readable tone.
Sadly, despite the Gregg Lewis revised edition being over two decades old (being first published in 1990), as far as I'm aware there's no Kindle edition available for it yet, so you'll have to look to paperback/hardback to find that edition. If you find the Amazon page for the Gregg Lewis edition of the book, then click "Kindle Edition", it takes you here, which is misleading as these are clearly different books.
For the reasons stated above, I can only really give the Kindle edition 3 stars, rather than the 5 I otherwise would have awarded it had the above issues been addressed.
I found the book much more engaging than I had expected. As I finished each chapter I was anxious to get to the next one.
It was refreshing to read about Mr. Taylor's extraordinary calling and service without the authors throwing in guilt to you and I for not doing an equal task. I found it very inspirational and encouraging, especially for those who are involved in ministry.
This book is definitely worth reading.. Lynn Berntson