Follow the Authors
Human-Animal Medicine: Clinical Approaches to Zoonoses, Toxicants and Other Shared Health Risks 1st Edition
Human-Animal Medicine is an innovative reference exploring the unprecedented convergence of human, animal, and environmental health, triggering global pandemics and requiring new clinical paradigms. The "One Health" approach calls for greater communication and cooperation between human health care providers, public health professionals, and veterinarians to better address vital issues of emerging diseases and environmental change. This incredibly timely book provides, for the first time, practical guidelines for "One Health" collaborations in a wide range of clinical human-animal health issues, including the H1N1 virus, zoonotic diseases, the human-animal bond, animal allergy, bites and stings, and animals as "sentinels" for toxic environmental health hazards.
- UNIQUE! For each condition, specific steps human health care providers, veterinarians, and public health professionals must take to prevent and manage disease.
- UNIQUE! Comparative tables of disease signs, diagnosis and treatment in humans and animals for easy reference.
- UNIQUE! Guidelines to detect and improve environmental factors affecting the health of humans and animals.
- Occupational health guidelines for preventive care of animal workers including veterinary personnel, farmers, pet store employees, and zoo workers.
- Treatment of emerging disease issues including zoonoses, H1N1 virus, harmful algae blooms, and animal-related pesticides
- UNIQUE! Sample protocols facilitate professional communication between veterinarians, human health clinicians, and public health professionals.
- Legal and ethical aspects of "One Health" that human health providers and veterinarians need to know.
"This book covers all aspects of human-animal health illustrated by graphic images of human clinical cases. There are lots of useful tables and figures throughout for example notifiable infectious human diseases in the USA and WHO reportable animal diseases."
Journal of Small Animal Practice, April 2012
"This book brings together a comprehensive list of shared health risks found in humans and animals while dealing with both clinical and public health aspects of each disease...For everyone working in the area of clinical veterinary public health, this book provides a broader outlook to this field than most. The practical layout provides the reader with a rapid refresher for uncommon diseases, with excellent cross-referencing allowing easy access to more detailed information if required. This book is a commendable addition to the 'One Health' approach to disease conditions with practical and clinical application for vets, medics and public health workers alike."
Vet Record, May 2012
- Publisher : Saunders; 1st edition (December 30, 2009)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 432 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1416068376
- ISBN-13 : 978-1416068372
- Item Weight : 2.79 pounds
- Dimensions : 8.5 x 0.75 x 10.75 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #1,732,767 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews: