Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 63 reviews
on March 18, 2016
I tried to bake 4 different recipes in this book and they did not turn out. The cupcakes did not rise, the chocolate cake did not taste good at all and the bread was too dense. I decided to call it quits and just get rid of it. The pictures are pretty but recreating the desserts is impossible.
on October 24, 2010
I am a perfectly adequate baker - I know how to follow a recipe and bake often (at least every weekend). The red velvet cupcakes turned out fairly well and that is the best cream cheese icing ever! However, the Black Bottom Cupcakes don't work. I followed the recipe exactly - converting back to metric using the table in the back of the book (I'm from Australia) and the batter for the chocolate part was so thick it broke by hand mixer, it was even thicker than most cookie dough and the cheese cake part wouldn't come together. So the next day I tried again, this time paying extra special attention to the recipe with the same result. I do note that if you look up the recipe online it has different values against the ingredients (which I haven't tried yet)........ is there a mistake in the book in the conversions?? If so shouldn't there be a disclaimer when you buy?? Honestly not sure I want to try any other recipes and waste money on ingredients that get thrown in the bin.
on July 7, 2016
The cupcakes and muffin book very small considering the price
There are repeated recipes that are in the cookery book which is a more appropriate size
I should have chosen the deluxe recipe cook book rather than the small cupcake and muffins small book
on May 15, 2009
*EDITED*

There have been a number of mixed reviews about this book - in fact, there're quite a few negative ones that almost put me off trying to make anything from the recipes. I really wanted to know if this book was worth anything so I decided to prove it to myself. I am a decent baker; that is to say, I taught myself to cook and bake on a regular basis (often with good success!) but have no real culinary skills or knowledge. However, I do spend enough time in the kitchen to notice that the methods for doing various things in this book is quite different from most recipes that are commonly used. For example, the methods for mixing the cake mixture in Vanilla Cupcakes provide that you first combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and a bit of milk in one bowl; and some eggs, milk and vanilla extract in the other. Once thoroughly incorporated, the book tells you to mix the two together. Now, most recipes would ask you to first beat the egg and sugar in one bowl, add the milk and vanilla, follow by the dry ingredients. But I decided to stick closely to the recipes provided - using whatever amount of ingredients (which may seem "ridiculous" to many people) that the book suggests, and have my fingers crossed. The results? Well, the cupcake recipes (vanilla, chocolate and the velvet cupcakes) that I've attempted so far have turned out pretty good! They're all very tasty and do not appear to be "dry" or "inedible" in any way. My guess is that for those of you who are rather experienced would question the validity of the recipes and so instead of sticking to the book, would be tempted to do "what they think is best" - which is probably why there're more experienced bakers complaining about their various failures, etc. So my advice is for you to turn blind eyes and ears and just follow the recipes to the letter, even though your experience and "instinct" are telling you otherwise!

***The book itself is simply beautiful. It is well laid-out, divided into several sections like cakes, pies, tarts, cookies, etc. The recipes include: the basic vanilla/chocolate cupcakes, lemon cupcakes, red velvet cupcakes, strawberry cheesecake cupcakes, lavender cupcakes, hazelnut and chocolate cupcakes, coconut and pineapple cupcakes, banana and chocolate cupcakes, pumpkin cupcakes, marshmallow cupcakes, ginger cupcakes, hummingbird cake, carrot cake, brooklyn blackout cake, coffee cake, blueberry cake, spiced pound cake, banana bread, nutty apple loaf lemon loaf, New York cheesecake, icebox banana cheesecake, lemon meringue pie, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, mississippi mud pie, apple pie, brownies, muesli bars, rocky road bars, ham and mushroom muffins, spinach and cheese muffins, blueberry muffins, banana and cinnamon muffins, chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies, white chocolate and pecan cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, and gingerbread men. The photographs are all stunning, you get to see exactly what your cakes should look like.***

However, I must say that since I own over 200 books on cakes, cookies, ice cream and desserts, this book doesn't give you a very wide range of recipes - hence why I've given it 4 stars. The book is quite thin and it does have "enough" to keep you entertained for a while, but I prefer to have more choices so I usually have several books on very specific subjects. For example, if you're looking for a good book on cookies, I'd recommend "Martha Steward's Cookies", "The Good Cookie" and "Great Cookies"; for cakes, I'd recommend "Mary Berry's Ultimate Cake Book" and "Southern Cakes"; for cupcakes, I'd recommend "Cupcake Heaven", "The Crabapple Bakery Cupcake" and "Cupcakes: Luscious Bakeshop Favorites"; for general baking/desserts "Desserts by the Yard", "Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts", "Jim Fobel's Old-fashioned Baking Book"; for ice cream "Ices", "The Ultimate Book of Ice Cream", "The Perfect Scoops"; and for chocolate, I'd recommend "The Essence of Chocolate" and "Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts".

Overall, if you're truly passionate about cakes and are NOT looking for "healthy" cakes (whatever that means!), you'll love this book. It'll be a great addition to your cook book collection, although I wouldn't say that this will be the ONLY book you'll need, because the book just simply doesn't offer enough varieties in the long-run. I've also been to the bakeries in London and I am happy to announce that my most recent batch did taste rather closely similar to the "real" things! I can assure you that this book will give you some great ideas and the pictures will be able to keep you coming back to the book time and time again!

Recommended.

P.S. I've also noticed that a few people have been comparing this book with Magnolia Bakery Book. I own all of them (2 by Magnolia, 2 by Buttercup Bakeshop and The Hummingbird Bakery) - and I'd NEVER pick the Buttercup Bakeshop over the other two. In fact, The Hummingbird bakery book actually contains MORE cupcakes recipes than those Magnolia books! It should also be noted that none of these books offer "healthy" goodies! Have fun baking!
33 comments| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2010
This is quite a good cookbook, but it gives the wrong oven temperature, throughout. It has used the wrong formula for converting centigrade temperatures to F. The correct conversion is: (C X 1.8) + 32, so 170 C = 338 F (not the 325 F given in the book and its conversion chart). If you use the book's temperatures, most everything will be under-cooked (except at 220C, which will overcook at 400F).
Use:
170C = 338F
180C = 356F
190C = 374F
200C = 392F
220C = 428F
on December 20, 2010
My thirteen year old daughter spotted this book in a local store and could not put it down. After pleading with me to purchase the book and promising to make the recipes I decided to purchase it online from Amazon. She grew up in my Victorian Tea Room so I was surprised she wanted to bake after sitting under the stove of fresh baked scones, tea breads and the smell of "tea room surprises". The book came on time and she has baked from week one and even added to a few recipes to create her own "signature" goods. This week her peppermint capped chocolate chip cookies were a hit at the cookie exchange we attended. The recipes are easy, fun and a delight to share with others!
on June 5, 2011
I bought this cook book particularly for the the cupcakes recipes. I tried baking the cupcakes and it taste amazing. No hidden twist or anything, just follow the instruction accurately and you will get there. I would definitely suggest cupcakes lover to buy this book and do some easy baking at home themselves. My next try will be the New York cheesecake from the book. I hope it will turn out to be as soon as the cupcakes I baked as well.
on December 28, 2013
I love this cook book. Everything I have baked has been fabulous.
The carrot cake is the best I have ever tried.
What ever I bake I have friends asking for the recipes.
Is there a new book coming out,I hope so
on September 20, 2016
Nice big book colorful pictures. Recipes are good, I've tried a few.
on February 6, 2013
The cupcakes and brownies in this book are especially lovely. Even beginners can be successful with the frosting recipes in this book. The bakery is in London, but the recipes are American classics. This makes a great gift for the baker in your life.