Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 82 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 108 reviews
on February 13, 2013
First off, this album is incredible, and in no way does this review reflect what I think of Local Natives or this beautiful album. 5 Stars for this album, definitely! Grab a copy, grab two so you can give one to somebody else!

This review is mostly for Amazon's lack of information, or inability to present that information effectively. When I pre-ordered this there wasn't any info in the description beyond the track listing and the fact that it would be on limited edition red vinyl. Now it states that a download card with three bonus tracks is included, but it still doesn't state that those tracks ARE NOT included on the actual pressing. It's not THAT big of a deal, and the die cut jacket and marbled blood red vinyl is gorgeous, but it's still frustrating to not get what you expect to get when you open this bad boy up, especially when you've spent almost $10 more on this deluxe edition and you've received the same thing that's in the standard edition, only prettier. I've bought deluxe LPs before that had bonus tracks on the vinyl that weren't included on the digital download card that was included, so the current product details could be easily misconstrued as Amazon just reassuring the buyer that the bonus tracks on the record are also downloadable, but that is not the case. The BONUS TRACKS ARE DOWNLOAD ONLY in this instance. Buyer beware.

I'm still glad that I got this version, but I'm annoyed that the details were left vague until after I received it. Now, to be fair, it wasn't even explained on the band's website, so maybe it's the manufacturer being purposefully vague, but whatever the reason, it should be corrected.

Either way, great album, give it a listen, grab a copy, but if you're looking for a hard copy of these bonus tracks like I was, maybe grab the deluxe CD instead... though now I wonder if they're actually included on that! :P
review image
on February 28, 2013
2nd album from Los Angeles band--big, ornate, float-soaring indie pop; giant, lush, reach-for-
the-sky melodies in a near-orchestral indie rock setting. Vocal harmonies and melodic
complexity combine and stretch for flowing, emotional heights. The album feels soft, as though
fragility & beauty are in their waning moments as the glue of life. There's an unmistakable
appeal in this kind of lofty approach; a sort of predictable & lovely lightness of being. At times, it
almost has me, but overall I think it lacks any muscularity of substance. "Hummingbird" has a
quavering beauty-shimmer that will ring true to some and feel vacuously unnourishing to others.
Some similarities to Radiohead, Elbow, Arcade Fire, Field Music, Grand Archives.
on October 13, 2013
I really loved Gorilla Manor and was a little unsure of what to think of this album when I first heard it. However, it seems like the music that has a little bit of a learning curve (or acquired taste) seems to be the music that has the most staying power for me. It wasn't that I didn't like it at first...I just needed to spend some time with the album. After a few times through the album, I found myself looking for any and every opportunity to listen to it. I would strongly recommend purchasing the album and then making sure you give it some extended playing time. It is SO good.
on November 8, 2013
Very good presentation of the special edition. Lyric sheet, poster, digital download, and the red, marbled vinyl is gorgeous! The additional outer sleeve makes it a bit difficult to get into a protective sleeve (if that's your thing) but all around a great package. The only thing holding this back one more star, was that the only clear indication that the bonus tracks are download only, is in a user submitted picture. So don't expect the vinyl to have the extra three tracks. Also, be advised that there is another version released by Infectious Records with the die-cut outer sleeve that is not pressed on red vinyl.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2016
I always marvel when musicians can transform a traumatic experience into something amazingly beautiful and moving. Columbia brings me to the verge of tears every time. All the songwriting is superb and the playing is really tight. Local Natives are among the best bands around today.
on May 7, 2013
I really enjoyed their debut album...but I really really really enjoy their second album. I mean really really. It's been on repeat since I got it. Although their single "Heavy Feet" was what really drove me to get the CD...there are plenty of others than match and exceed that song's excellence.

AND THE DELUXE VERSION IS A MUST!!!
-why you ask?
--because I wouldn't be complete without 11:11...that song is so beautiful. Thank you Local Natives for putting together an awesome album.
on May 24, 2013
I loved their first album, but somehow they sort of fell off my radar in between releases. It's been a while since I listened to Gorilla Manor, but I think this album shows a more mature band. Songs like "Warning Sign" I don't miss here. Contrary, I am head-over-heels for the first half or so of the CD. "Breakers" is by far my favorite right now, but any of the first 5 songs, along with "Black Balloons," "Colombia," and "Wooly Mammoth," make this album a must-buy in my book.

The only thing I miss from the first CD is that awesome percussion (see "Sun Hands"!)
on July 25, 2013
I bought Hummingbird after hearing Heavy Feet on XMU a few times and not being able to get the song out of my head. I'm glad I did because it helped me discover a very exciting band that seems to be in its prime. As the better reviews have stated, this is a serious minded album that focuses on emotions, harmonies, and active drumming. The band is in a great point where they have the maturity and technical chops to tell a story worth being told but still has a youthful energy that can sell it as sincere. I'm hooked and hope I get to see them live.
on March 20, 2013
To be honest, I'm not much interested in lyrics. Never have been. It's always been the music; the melody; the production; and the "flow" of a piece that gets me. So, yes I loved the soaring melodicism of "Hummingbird" The somewhat psychedelic guitar work and constantly moving drums keep me listening. I've never heard of Local Natives before this. I understand "Gorilla Manor" is very good. I'll have to check it out. But the melodies on this album were meaningful to me. The emotion comes right through. It reminded me of Bon Iver without the falsetto.
on January 29, 2013
This album is what I had hoped it would be. It sounds like an album that Local Natives "wanted" to make not an album that they "had" to make. If you are already a Local Natives fan I don't need to tell you that this album is very layered with sophistication both instrumentally and vocally. There are no real surprises with this album, but it is the perfect next step in the growth for Local Natives. If they continue to make albums they want to make and not make albums they have to make Local Natives will be one of my favorites for a long time to come.