Truck Season Automotive Beauty Audible Mel Robbins Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on April 2, 2014
I found this to be a fascinating read.

The power of humor in healing has been a topic that has interested me for years. I was surprised and pleased to find this book on that very topic.

The author obviously did a good amount of research on the topic and organized the material well in this book.

I appreciated the list of movies, books and quotes that were included and found the list to be a nice bonus.
5 people found this helpful
on March 12, 2012
I have not finished reading this book, because of the several others I've been privileged to receive on my Kindle. However, as a grandmother, who has helped raise several children, and even some of THEIR children, I can testify that this book contains some very good ideas for getting past those really difficult times in family relationships. I wish I had known more of these ideas when I was raising my young. Age doesn't always bring calm and wisdom when dealing with youth, especially these days. Humor really can help bridge those "troubled waters" more easily. Thank you for this great book.
Mrs. MacTeacher. (Carolyn McElrath )
2 people found this helpful
on April 7, 2014
We already know the transformative power of humor in our lives, but perhaps no one has written about it as comprehensively as Nichole Force in her book, ‘Humor’s Hidden Power.’ Finally, here’s something that really nails it as far as humor is concerned—how you can use it for self-healing, and even as a “protection”.

While you can probably find bits and pieces of information on humor’s role in human life, Nichole’s book provides a single treatment that makes absolute sense. Maybe the most life-changing thing I’ve learned from this fascinating book is how humor actually changes us—in the physiological and psychological levels—for the better. What’s more, the author has gathered a compelling collection of real-life stories of how others throughout history used humor to find meaning—indeed, as one good quote in the book drives it home, “the source of humor is sorrow.”

Let me suffice it to say that I believe this is an absolutely important book—something that will inform our impulse to laugh from here on. This book makes you realize the value of humor, how it works, and what you can do to have its constant presence in your life. Get a copy of this book today—I don’t really have to mention that this book can also make a great gift to all the people you love, but there it is. A solid five-star rating for this groundbreaking work.
5 people found this helpful
on November 13, 2013
The first half of the book gave me what I expected: the history and science of humor. Very well-written and researched. Love the author's tone and attitude, too.

However, the second half of the book is fluffed up with lists of funny books suitable for the different tragedies life throws at us. While that is good, that list should be not be triple-spaced or take up the majority of the chapters!

This is still a valuable read and will enlighten anyone. Humor is a must for any human being who wishes to stay sane and happy despite the inevitable harshness of life.
2 people found this helpful
on May 15, 2011
A friend of a friend got this book and I skimmed it and WANTED it -- I saw a glimpse of the text and the recommendations for books and movies -- perfect book on humor. So I ordered it and it came yesterday. I read it all in one sitting, couldn't put it down. Of course so many chapters specifically apply to me and I actually learned something. I can't wait to rent some of the movie selections. Great read, recommend it for anyone who is a little down or just wants to know a bit more about how humor really works on you.
3 people found this helpful
on January 5, 2012
the book unsuccessfully tries to inject humor into serious matters such as clinical depression, getting old and disability or losing a loved one. these are not funny, at least not for the person who has gone through those situations.

Other than that, the book is very useful.
|33 comments|Report abuse