Bubble Witch Saga 3 Vehicles Review HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

73,713
The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set
Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 31, 2016
The book came packaged nicely and arrived on time. As a huge Hunger Games fan, I was extremely excited to receive this book. I've been completely obsessed with Hunger Games for several years, never miss any books or movies of it. The author’s imagination is amazing which draw me into the story so completely that it's hard to put the book down. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. All in all, this is a really good book which are a great gift for every Hunger Games fan!
22 comments| 173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 17, 2016
When I first read the first book it was already after the movie came out and I was on the beach in Thailand and I was thinking to myself this is going to be a light fun reading. Boy I was wrong. The first book was (as always) much better than the movie and showed a large scale of emotions and thoughts coming from the main characters.

But we are here to talk about the second book..
Wow! I read somewhere that the author wrote the books based on her father experience in war and PTSD and since I have some limited experience in that field as well, I can honestly say that Katniss thoughts and emotions described in the book are very real and authentic.

To me, the whole thoughts and emotions of the characters are what making a book good and worth reading. This book shows them all, in a way you can never show in a movie.
The plot itself is good enough, but again, to me, the deepening of the characters is what I am looking for, the plot is just the wrapper.
VINE VOICEon February 15, 2015
It is not necessarily surprising that the third book of the Hunger Games trilogy peters out as compared to the earlier books. What really set the first book apart was the originality of the dystopian concept and the bleakness with which author Suzanne Collins brought us into the lives of those in the districts. Even in the second book, the games themselves provided some good action while giving us some better insight into the nation of Panem.

By now, that originality is gone, and we are left with the more mundane task of trying to overthrow the tyrannical government. Sure, I want the rebels to succeed, but it just does not feel that original anymore. Now it is just a more-typical underdog tale.

Collins herself seemed to recognize this, as seen when the fighting in the Capital is compared to one of the Hunger Games itself, with booby traps laid throughout. But this literary trick only works halfway. I never felt the same excitement in this book as I felt in the others.

A bigger problem, though, is the wasted opportunity of MOCKINGJAY. There are some seriously unanswered questions that should have been explored far more, and that would have made for a better end to this trilogy. It is not credible that a nation so utterly morally degraded would be taken down just by the removal of one president. When the Capital’s residents consider kids killing kids to be the height of entertainment, we are a long, long way off from resolving anything in such a pat manner. The book would have worked better addressing the moral issues surrounding how the Hunger Games were ever accepted in the first place than with the removal of President Snow. After all, in a country this morally sick, any president would, by necessity, have to be equally odious.

Although THE HUNGER GAMES is adolescent literature, I think most teenagers themselves would be far more interested in such over-arching moral issues than they would be in what is, at the end of the day, a governmental coup. Alas, an opportunity lost.
22 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 11, 2016
I finally got around to reading this book and due to the popularity, I knew how it began. It seems that so many books are going to the theme of a nation divided into districts and this book does as well.

Underneath all the fighting for survival is a boy in love with a girl and a girl who is desperate to return home. Willing to do anything, she goes along with the idea of them being in love, hoping that in the end, it will mean both will end up back in their district.
The imagery invoked a lot of breathtaking pictures. The characters had enough background that I found myself loving, hating, being indifferent, or hoping that nothing bad befell them. The emotions were sharp and cut deep in many cases; the fact that the nation forced children to fight to live as punishment for a long ago war, I found horrid. Yet, in some cases, I have to admit that I was glad when some were taken out.
There are a lot of twists and turns that occur. Some you see coming, some you are told are coming even if what will happen isn't known and still others that come from seemingly no where. How each character reacts helps define their personality and chance of survival. This is a book with very few places were things become dull.
Honestly this was the first series I read while in college that was for fun since Junior High as that was when school began assigned reading. My sister was ill and admitted into the hospital so I bought the books she was reading in ebook form to let her read them on my kindle while in the hospital. Of course I then ended up reading them as well and found myself thoroughly entertained and forever addicted.

The Nation of Panem is divided into 12 districts, all serving the purposes of the Capital who runs the districts with an iron fist. With the harsh rule of Capital and no where else to run, the districts are forced to offer up one boy and one girl to the annual Hunger Games. It's in one of these games that a tribute named Katniss Everdeen will change the destiny of world by surviving and choosing to defy the Capital all in the hopes to save those she loves.

Overall, This trilogy is great for all ages, because it's action filled with a heavy focus on love and family, which are all key elements to a great series. The books are all easy reads that pull you in and keep you reading and before you know it you'll realize you've finished the whole trilogy. The first book is a great intro and second book continues the momentum into the trilogy. However, its the 3rd book which takes a bit of a emotional and perspective turn as readers get into Katniss psych and follow her to the end of the trilogy. After reading this trilogy more than a few times I can understand why its supremely popular and was quickly made into a movie. But the books as still great to read with the movies in mind since the movies only flush out the books. So if you haven't had a chance to read the books yet I'd take the time to do so to better understand what the hype is really all about, especially on the whole Gale vs. Peeta thing.

------Read more of my reviews at: http://heyitwasfree.blogspot.com/------
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 14, 2017
Catching Fire is a great sequel to the amazing first book in the The Hunger Games series. Catching Fire is different than most of the other young adult fiction books, because of the character development, and the relationship from book to movie.

Other young adult fiction /dystopian future books can be boring and hard to follow, but Catching Fire shows a good pace, and is easy to understand. The book is also very entertaining, and filled with suspense for what will happen next. My favorite quote from this whole book was on page 174, "My body reacts before my mind does and I'm running out the door...". This quote expresses suspense, and the idea of mind over matter, which she loses at this point. I won't spoil why she ran out the door, but let's just say that I would have too. The book also relates to the movie very well, unlike some other books in the genre. Overall, the book Catching Fire is 391 pages of suspense, entertainment, and a true underdog story.
on November 22, 2015
This was a well written 3rd instalment by Collins mostly because the plots and the development were refreshing. It was doubly more fun for me because I could put faces to the characters. Jennifer to Katniss, Philip to Plutach, Liam to Dale just to name a few. There were a lot of things going on, much more than 'Catching Fire' that I can understand after reading the book why they could split the story into part 1 and part 2 for the mocking jay films. I felt there were an overemphasis on Katniss and an underwhelming coverage on all the other characters, especially President Snow. Collins had a solid story that could go on and on if she wanted to, just like GRRM did with games of thrones. There were still too many unanswered questions at the end. Like what happened to all the districts after President Cohn was killed. What happened to the other man in Katniss' life Dale?
on January 22, 2014
Whether you have seen the movies or have yet to experience these thus-far excellent translations of the books, you really should read the originals. I didn't read author's explanation of the genesis of this trilogy till after I finished the books, but it did confirm my suspicions that under this breathtaking set of thrillers were some serious concerns over reality shows and war, and the possibility that in the current trajectory of the public's taste in entertainment that the two might come together in some unholy marriage. Despite the media's touting of the love triangle, this is a de-glamorized look at war and violence and what it does to those who fight and those who decree that wars be fought. Katniss is less naive here than in the movies, at least when it comes to the media. Her problem with making choices in the games and in war have more to do with her resentment of being manipulated than her understanding of what sells. She never loses sight of the fact that people are forced to kill others in the games and in the revolution that follows.The major problem with the books is that the first person narration does limit what we see of Panem to what Katniss sees and knows. This is especially problematic in the last book where revolution breaks out and Katniss finds herself now a puppet of the good guys. Our sense of the wider war is of necessity rather narrow. The movies will undoubtedly correct this as they have in the first two movies. I just hope they keep the uncompromising resolution to the story. It would be a mistake to romanticize the violence and the effects it has on its victims and even its "victors."
on August 30, 2015
I decided to purchase the series because I couldn't wait until the release of the last film to find out what happened with Peeta. I was going to skip to the last book because in my head, 2 months would not be enough to read the whole series and I feared not getting into them as much. Boy was I wrong.

My husband suggested I start from scratch as films always leave out a TON of detail and I'm so glad I listened to him. Once I started I could not put the books down and the cliffhangers at the end of each chapter always left you wanting to find out what happens next. The films do, in fact, leave out a TON of detail (and characters) and in just a week I went through the entire trilogy.

English is not my first language so the simplicity of the dialogue was a huge breath of fresh air. I often find myself avoiding Anglo literature because of the unnecessary complexity of the narrative and although this book was very easy to read it doesn't feel juvenile.

All in all, loved the series and would recommend them to anyone.
review image
on December 4, 2014
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins is the third in The Hunger Games Trilogy. The author has referenced her experiences with war and entertainment as inspiration for the series. This book really is a "war" series. No one wins in a war. Prim's death was an excellent example of a casualty of war. The mental impact of the war on both Katniss and Peeta was also a very accurate depiction of what happens in war. It was frustrating to see how Katniss reacted during much of the book and I had to remind myself that this was actually a very authentic portrayal of post-tramatic stress syndrome. It's unrealistic to think that someone who had experienced the mental and physical challenges she faced would be able to just bounce back. They did a great job showing how instinct and adrenaline sometimes take over.

Although I missed the Hunger Games element found in Books 1 and 2, I thought Collins did a nice job incorporating the action aspect into the Capitol mission segment. I was very satisfied with Coin's death having anticipated it from the beginning of the book.

The return of Katniss to District 12 and her ultimate decision to be with Peeta seemed very appropriate. It was a place they could heal together. She never wanted to be a hero or the center of attention. I always felt that Gale was more of a "best friend" type of person and won't be able to provide the deep, ongoing support system that Katniss needed.

Overall I think Collins did a wonderful job inventing a world like and unlike our own. Although she was clearly inspired by general topics associated about war and politics, I found the lack of a religious element or specific political connections very refreshing.

I think it's difficult to rate individual books in a series and find it more useful to look at the "big picture" when the series is done. Overall I think it's a great example of how an effective trilogy keeps readers interested from start to finish.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse