Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 698 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 817 reviews
on October 16, 2012
I own all of the Hungry Girl cookbooks, and I was actually happy to see that this "Bible" has come out, I decided to purchase this book in Kindle format since it is filled with a lot of old favorites from the other books, (and some great new things that I can't wait to try ), making it much easier to take along to the grocery store. I am however a little disappointed on the way the index is set up, It would be nice to have links that would take me to all the recipes that I am looking for, for instance, I want to find recipes for Salmon, well if I look up salmon in the index, well yeah the word is there, but it is not linked to any of the salmon recipes, so I would still have to look in the table of contents to find any recipe with the word salmon in it, this takes up way to much time. I love the Picture section, if there is something that looks good, then just click on the picture and it takes you to the recipe, just wish there were pictures to all the recipes, but yeah that is asking to much, can you imagine 650 pictures! LOL, the book would be HUGE. Anyway I gave this book all 5 stars because it is Hungry Girl and she has Awesome Recipes! But I give the Kindle Format only 4 stars because of the index problem. If you don't have any of Hungry girl books yet, then this would be a GREAT one to start with, but if you already have some of her books, then this would be a Great one to have on the Kindle, no point in repeating it on hard copy. It has everything you need, the best of the best!
1111 comments| 208 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2012
I wasn't expecting this book to be as huge as it is ... it's full size pages (about 8.5x11) and over an inch thick. It's FULL of great recipes ... single serving omelets made in mugs, great sounding oatmeal, yummy parfaits, crock pot specialties, pastas, and tons more. Each recipe is labeled with a number of symbols to indicate how long it will take to make, if it's vegetarian, if there is a photo of the item somewhere in the book, etc.

Highly recommend this book!
on November 12, 2012
Wow! I have made a few of the recipes in here and let me say "yum!" If you stock up your pantry and fridge many of the recipes have mix and match ingredients. For example, bananas, splenda, low fat p-butter, semi-sweet choc chips, low sugar or sugar free strawberry preserves, low fat hot choc, egg beaters, cooked chicken breast, mushrooms, onion, garlic powder, cinnamon, splenda, etc. can be used in multiple recipes, so you are not tunning out to the store each time you try a new one. Pick out a few recipes using many of the same ingredients before going shopping. I stuck with the egg mugs and oatmeal bowls the first time and was able to try many of them without having to go to the store in two weeks! And they were all a delicious alternative! I am addicted to the Mug Foo Young and Banana Split Oatmeal Bowl! Plus, the servings are huge and guilt free! I couldn't believe I was eating for one! This is my first Hungry Girl experience and my only regret is not trying this sooner.
on April 27, 2016
Tons of recipes. Definitely a lot to choose from. A few misses but most of them are good. However the desserts are not low calorie which sucks. They just look like they are but the serving sizes are tiny. Might as well just make the normal dish. Same goes for a couple recipes (i.e. quiche), they are only listed as low calorie because the serving size is too small for one meal.

Overall the dishes are filling but I wouldn't say you could live off these recipes alone. There's almost no fat. Eating too low fat on a consistent basis can cause depression and fatigue among other hormonal issues. Otherwise it's excellent and there's enough recipes in here to last a lifetime, literally.
on December 11, 2015
Very nice book plenty of recipes. Most are 1 to 2 servings which is great for me. Most recipe books are several servings which is a waste. This has a lot of simple recipes or pretty easy to make. It is broken down into all different categories example pizza section, mexican etc. It is easy to read and does have a few pages of pictures in the book. It has all the nutritional information on each recipe.
on December 5, 2013
I downloaded the free three chapters sample from Amazon and this book is great. She talks about substitutions, has a link for pictures and Weight Watchers Points Plus values, and the ingredients are reasonable (as opposed to Weight Watchers cookbooks). I read all of the negative reviews, and looking at the sample dispelled any concerns that they brought up...except...it is true that artificial food items are involved...but I do not care about that...as someone else has already said...I can easily make my own substitutions. Sodium values ARE given, and she gives some tips on achieving a lower sodium count for some recipes. The recipes are mostly for meals...not junk food as some have suggested. Download your free sample if you have a kindle and judge for yourself. Perfect for hungry people like me. She has a tv show on the Cook channel, and offers a free daily email with great recipes.
on December 22, 2012
Lisa Lillien's alter ego is Hungry Girl - a That-Girl-coiffed, über-chipper (bordering on demented) cheerleader-type gal who actually gets you psyched about eating the recipes she's presented in her books. Envision a California-WASP version of Rachael Ray. Hungry Girl is fun - and she brings us some really good, simple recipes that will greatly enhance the likelihood that we'll make something good (or good enough) and nutritious at home rather than running for the border or Mickey D's.

The _Hungry Girl_ books are appealing on many levels. They've got cute, retro Hungry-Girl cartoons running throughout as the initial enticement to read them. The writing is funny; Hungry Girl is sort of a retro throw-back who cheers us on, unabashedly tossing about words and phrase such as "schmancy" and "Mexi-licious." The recipe names and descriptions are cute/goofy, such as Skinny Elvis Oatmeal, Big Blue Buffalo Jala' Poppers, Lord of the Onion Rings, to name a few. The recipes all come with eye-candy photos (on the Hungry Girl website, at [...]), and the dishes are plentiful, varied, and nutritious.

The main benefit of HG's recipes is that they're portion- and calorie- controlled (don't misunderstand about the portions, though - although they are controlled, they are quite generous). Detailed nutrition data are presented for each dish, including the calories, fat, sodium, carbs, fiber, sugars, protein, and PointsPlus values. Some of the recipes are vegetarian, and some of the recipes are low-carb - so you really can find something for just about anyone. She even offers healthy versions of popular fast-food fare.

The target audience for this series of books seems to be other "hungry girls" who are single or, perhaps, cooking simple meals for themselves and their significant others, but the recipes would be appealing to everyone (e.g. family friendly). You could easily increase the recipes.

All of the recipes are quick and easy to prepare with basic, inexpensive kitchen appliances - microwave, stove or even a toaster oven, cheap blender. You don't need specialty gizmos such as spice grinders, stand mixers, blenders that pulverize ice, food processors, or anything of that sort. This would make the books good for dorm-room cooks as well as house or apartment cooks.

I've heard some people complain that the recipes depend on expensive convenience foods, but aside from a handful specialty items (such as Laughing Cow low-fat cheese wedges, shirataki noodles, Fiber One cereal, pre-made dough, and certain sweeteners), I don't really find that to be the case. You can easily make substitutions for the few brand-name items used in some of the recipes.

Although the recipes are simple, they are by no means boring, and some are actually pretty sophisticated. They won't impress your organic-vegan-locavore friends, but they also won't require that you make trips to the local Hoity-Toity Market or use items that you can only find online. Nothing calms your ardor for making a dish more than waiting a week for one of the ingredients to arrive.

If you're just stumped on what to make for a quick meal, leafing through one of the Hungry Girl books is very likely to inspire you. Even if you're in a terrific hurry, you can find something - she offers some "trios" which, true to the description, are three-item combinations. Imagine a juicy blue-cheese burger for 183 calories and less than 2 grams of carb!

Here's a list of the chapter titles in _HG to the Max!_ (650 recipes): Egg Mugs and Egg Bakes, Growing Oatmeal Bowls, Parfaits, Pancakes & French Toast, Faux-Frys, Swappuccinos and Shakes, Foil Packs, Crock Pots, Pasta, Pizza, Mexican, Burgers & Fries, Comfortably Yum, Party/Cocktails/Holiday, and Sweet Stuff.

Hm. Should you invest in a fun-to-read, inexpensive book with hundreds of recipes that are tasty, easy to make, and health conscious? I was glad I did. You can check out photos and descriptions of _all_ of her recipes online, before you buy the books: [...].
VINE VOICEon January 8, 2013
There are a lot of recipes, which is a big plus -- but it makes for a really BIG, clunky book. And it's paperback, so that also makes the book floppy.

Most of the recipes I've looked at have readily available ingredients (a plus.)

There are very few photos of the prepared foods (a negative in my book.)

With 650 options, I've been able to feed my family the same foods as me and satisfiy them with little or no changes to the recipes (for them.) I'm not keen on giving my children artificial sweetener, so I use sugar for example. My husband has, so far, needed a double helping of everything.

But the foods are tasty!
on August 9, 2015
These recipes are the bomb. The recipes are simple and not a lot of ingredients. This book teaches you how to incorporate healthier ingredients you didn't even know you could use. Everytime I cook something new it's my boyfriends new favorite item! It makes it a lot easier to diet when your sig other is totally on board too.
on October 24, 2012
This is my first Hungry Girl cookbook, but I have been following Lisa Lillien's cooking show on The Food Network for a long time now! This cookbook has many of the recipes that she has made on her show so it's fun to watch her make a delicious recipe that I make soon after watching!

My absolute favorite section of this cookbook is the Egg Mugs! There are so many different ways that Hungry Girl can cook up a yummy breakfast (or lunch or dinner...eggs are filling and perfect any time of day!) Try one and you will be hooked too!!

I am looking forward to trying more of Hungry Girl's delicious, easy and GUILT-FREE recipes! Need a recipe for a crowd, one person, something quick, need a swap for a less healthy food item (like onion rings), or a recipe for that veggie that you have always wanted to try, but didn't know what to do with? You will find it in this cookbook! Such a bargain for so many yummy recipe ideas and tips...you will find yourself tagging many pages, just like I have!