Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hungry Girl Supermarket Survival: Aisle by Aisle, HG-Style!
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 11, 2011
If you were looking for the usual grocery pocket guide with endless lists of brand name foods with calorie/carb/protien/fat counts - this is not it. This is a totally different type of guide.

HG goes aisle by aisle, food by food and explains in a paragraph or more why she recommends a particular brand or type of food. Let's start with the first section which is all about Dairy products. She explains the difference between reduced fat, low fat and no fat cheeses, milk and yogurts and offers the top HG recommendations for which ones to buy. She also covers pudding desserts and dessert toppings in this section.

The grocery aisle sections are as follows:

Dairy
Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts
Sauces, Salad Dressing and Shelf Stable Condiments
Beverages
Baking Products, Pantry Staples, Spices and more

In the back of the book there are a few more sections that are typical HG recommendations:

HG Top Ate Items worth ordering online
HG Essentials
Complete HG Supermarket List

Thankfully the book has an index so you can easily find any food item you want to read about. If you have followed her newsletters religiously and watched her show - especially the section when she is walking the grocery store, then you have seen it all before.

I recommend this book for die hard HG recipe lovers who like all their HG tips and tricks neatly packed into one book.
66 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2011
Unfortunately the phrases "whole grain", reduced fat, 50% less fat (less than what, the size that is twice as large?), low carb (it never had any anyway)and sugar-free are often misunderstood (and misused) in the supermarket aisles. Lisa has made it possible to painlessly navigate the supermarket jungle and eat healthier. By just using this handy pocket guide Hungry Girl Supermarket Survival: Aisle by Aisle, HG-Style!to make smart choices, you can take your existing recipes and make them better for you. The family won't even notice (if they aren't shopping with you). Another 10 star performance from the Hungry Girl team!!!!!!!!
on October 11, 2011
Received my HG Supermarket survival book this morning and I've already read most of it from cover to cover...........

I love this book for many reason, but mostly:
1) Broken down into easy to read, and easily marked categories so that you can find exactly what you're looking for - simplicity at it's best!
2) So many fantastic alternative items listed in case you have particular taste like myself.....she suggests so many options not just "stick to this or else" mentality which throws us all off our our diets to begin with....you need variety!
3) Tips for helping make your meals taste exactly like their counterparts which are loaded with fats! Too many foods that are good for you lack taste....not with HG!!
4) My favorite is that she points out the "all star" for each category which will be the most tasteful, yet the best for you........most books which are trying to teach you proper eating habits don't consider the taste of the things they suggest, they merely look at the labels (so what if you're eating cardboard, there's Zero calories!)

Overall I can't wait to try out all the goodies in this book! I'm calling my copy the Bigger Girl's Bible =

Wish me Luck!!
on October 14, 2011
I am a huge HG fan, I have two of her cookbooks and follow her daily newsletter. She has been CRUCIAL to keeping my weight off (I lost 32 pounds over the span of five years) and when I heard this come out, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

The book is beautiful, easy to read, very colorful and full of humor. She is just like one of us, loves to eat, fascinated with food, but aims on keeping a healthy lifestyle. I love how she understands that EVERYONE is tempted by guilty foods. Not only does she give great swaps and healthy options, but she also provides the best brand and the ease of where to get the items. There's meal ideas on almost every page. LOVE the veggie/fruit A-Z guide.

Note to fellow HG fans: A lot of the stuff in the book you already know. She recommends a lot of the same brands/products she has been for years (Tofu Shirataki, Libby's Pumpkin, Laughing Cow, etc) but if you know somebody who is trying out a healthy lifestyle and doesn't know where to start, this book is it. Lisa is so down to earth and doesn't throw crazy stats in your face. Everything is easy to find and very well organized. I learned a lot about the foods I shop for everyday (peas swapping in for avocado in guacomole? Brilliant! Reduced-fat and low-fat not the same thing? Who knew?) Great addition to the HG line. Looking forward to more recipes and books from her!!
on October 11, 2011
This is a great guide for the shopper who doesn't have the time to read every single label and weigh out the nutritional information. This book is small enough to take in your purse or set in the shelf of a cart to refer to and great for planning your grocery list as well. I don't know about you ladies but I cannot trust my husband to go grocery shopping for me because there are certain brands I like and some that I really don't. This helps you to figure out which brands are best for not packing on pounds. It even gives suggestions for some things to do with ingredients that I normally wouldn't buy at the grocery store but sound yummy! The description also helps to inform you on some of what is in the foods so that you can customize it to whatever diet you're following. Love HG and cannot decide which of their books is my favorite but I definitely wouldn't give up any of them!
on December 2, 2011
This book is full of great calorie cutting tips when shopping for groceries. I love how it breaks out your options aisle by aisle, and it evens goes as far as telling you her preferred brands (because it often does make a big difference), including when it doesn't pay to go to the fat-free versions of things. Anyone trying to cut calories here and there would benefit from this one.
on October 12, 2011
This book is the perfect shopping companion for those who want to eat healthier. The author, Lisa Lillien, is not a nutritionist, just, as she states, a "hungry girl." Her website, hungry-girl.com, has been sharing guilt-free and healthy recipes, food finds, and more. Now she's put together a book to make grocery-shopping easier. It's small enough to fit in a purse and organized by store aisles. The pages are color-coded as well to make it easy to find a section when you're on the run. Each section suggests the best products to buy with basic nutritional information as well as "all-stars" - the most versatile products, and "standouts" - HG choices for a product's best brands. In addition, there are literally hundreds of cooking tips, and menu and serving suggestions. I like the extra info she provides to explain some of the product lingo and what to watch out for when buying similar products. As a bonus, the book has a list of best products to buy online, a complete supermarket list that can be copied, and lists of essential ingredients for food favorite as coffee drinks and pizza. You'll not only want to read this book cover-to-cover to glean all the fantastic info HG has compiled, but also use it as a reference when you prepare your grocery list or even as a go-to guide while you shop.
on April 19, 2016
I got into trying Hungry Girl recipes when I started doing weight watchers. First I was attracted to the Hungry girl swaps on her website, then the show and then I discovered his handy grocery store survival guide.

Lisa (Hungry Girl) is amazing and this book is just what I needed. Upon receiving it I read it cover to cover in one day. I then stuck it in my purse to keep as my friendly companion when I was out at the store.

It is separated into various sections that are easy to locate. I did however put sticky flags in my book for faster reference. This book lists Lisa's favorite products and why she prefers certain products over others For those of us who follow her this is like having her with you at all times.

I really like this book and plan on using it for years to come.
on December 7, 2011
The book is basically is compilation of many of the very same tips and shopping strategies you recieve in the Hungry Girl emails. It does, however, provide all this information in one place, is well organized for quick reference, and can easily fit in your purse to go to the market with you! It also provides quick reference for the harder to find items that some markets do not carry for online ordering ease. I picked up a copy for $10 at Barnes and Noble (around $13 without coupon and membership I believe) and feel the money was well spent.
on May 18, 2014
I found this book very enlightening and will be using it often as a reference. I would suggest this book to anyone who is serious on changing there eating habits and wanting to know what is out there. The book saves a ton of time standing in the grocery store trying to read all the labels to find which is the best choice. This book was done very well and a lot of thought and energy went into its making and it shows.