Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 171 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 194 reviews
on October 11, 2011
If you were looking for the usual grocery pocket guide with endless lists of brand name foods with calorie/carb/protien/fat counts - this is not it. This is a totally different type of guide.

HG goes aisle by aisle, food by food and explains in a paragraph or more why she recommends a particular brand or type of food. Let's start with the first section which is all about Dairy products. She explains the difference between reduced fat, low fat and no fat cheeses, milk and yogurts and offers the top HG recommendations for which ones to buy. She also covers pudding desserts and dessert toppings in this section.

The grocery aisle sections are as follows:

Dairy
Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts
Sauces, Salad Dressing and Shelf Stable Condiments
Beverages
Baking Products, Pantry Staples, Spices and more

In the back of the book there are a few more sections that are typical HG recommendations:

HG Top Ate Items worth ordering online
HG Essentials
Complete HG Supermarket List

Thankfully the book has an index so you can easily find any food item you want to read about. If you have followed her newsletters religiously and watched her show - especially the section when she is walking the grocery store, then you have seen it all before.

I recommend this book for die hard HG recipe lovers who like all their HG tips and tricks neatly packed into one book.
55 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2011
Unfortunately the phrases "whole grain", reduced fat, 50% less fat (less than what, the size that is twice as large?), low carb (it never had any anyway)and sugar-free are often misunderstood (and misused) in the supermarket aisles. Lisa has made it possible to painlessly navigate the supermarket jungle and eat healthier. By just using this handy pocket guide Hungry Girl Supermarket Survival: Aisle by Aisle, HG-Style!to make smart choices, you can take your existing recipes and make them better for you. The family won't even notice (if they aren't shopping with you). Another 10 star performance from the Hungry Girl team!!!!!!!!
on April 19, 2016
I got into trying Hungry Girl recipes when I started doing weight watchers. First I was attracted to the Hungry girl swaps on her website, then the show and then I discovered his handy grocery store survival guide.

Lisa (Hungry Girl) is amazing and this book is just what I needed. Upon receiving it I read it cover to cover in one day. I then stuck it in my purse to keep as my friendly companion when I was out at the store.

It is separated into various sections that are easy to locate. I did however put sticky flags in my book for faster reference. This book lists Lisa's favorite products and why she prefers certain products over others For those of us who follow her this is like having her with you at all times.

I really like this book and plan on using it for years to come.
on October 12, 2011
This book is the perfect shopping companion for those who want to eat healthier. The author, Lisa Lillien, is not a nutritionist, just, as she states, a "hungry girl." Her website, hungry-girl.com, has been sharing guilt-free and healthy recipes, food finds, and more. Now she's put together a book to make grocery-shopping easier. It's small enough to fit in a purse and organized by store aisles. The pages are color-coded as well to make it easy to find a section when you're on the run. Each section suggests the best products to buy with basic nutritional information as well as "all-stars" - the most versatile products, and "standouts" - HG choices for a product's best brands. In addition, there are literally hundreds of cooking tips, and menu and serving suggestions. I like the extra info she provides to explain some of the product lingo and what to watch out for when buying similar products. As a bonus, the book has a list of best products to buy online, a complete supermarket list that can be copied, and lists of essential ingredients for food favorite as coffee drinks and pizza. You'll not only want to read this book cover-to-cover to glean all the fantastic info HG has compiled, but also use it as a reference when you prepare your grocery list or even as a go-to guide while you shop.
on May 18, 2014
I found this book very enlightening and will be using it often as a reference. I would suggest this book to anyone who is serious on changing there eating habits and wanting to know what is out there. The book saves a ton of time standing in the grocery store trying to read all the labels to find which is the best choice. This book was done very well and a lot of thought and energy went into its making and it shows.
on August 10, 2016
The book gives a simplified shopping guide to buying healthy foods without all the fuss. This is a great start for those who are looking for healthier alternatives for cooking without all the stress and technical garb that go way beyond what we really want to know. The book is not adapted to every supermarket so please consider this because you local supermarket or geographical area may not contain the same items as mention in this book, so you may have to do some additional research for your area.
on February 26, 2014
I got this book from the library and I've gone from front back and I knew this is what I wanted. I am new to Hungry Girl and after receiving this book I may get a few more of her books. I usually test them out at the library before I spend the money to order with Amazon so I know what I'm purchasing.
I highly recommend this book it is absolutely just what is needed when you are picking out items in the grocery store. I have made many of the recipes from the other Hungry Girl books and they are so easy and tasteful. I also highly recommend. "Hungry Girl to the Max" and "Three Under Three".
You MUST buy this book you will never have to guess what you need to purchase taking the guess work out of healthy eating.
on February 24, 2017
Such a handy book! I own all but two of the Hungry Hirl recipe books and diet book...and I love them! This one is no exception. I learned so many smart little tips about brands and choose this version of milk or substitute verses that, because this one tastes better and blah blah blah..,,It fits in my purse too!!
on April 23, 2017
;)
on November 17, 2011
Descriptions are clear and concise regarding the products in this book.
Many ideas for using different items which you may not know.
Products-- there were many listed I wasn't aware existed such as many lines of cheeses available, what application they work best in and some ideas for using them in recipes.
Book gives you ideas on how to use some of the products like making cakes or brownies using alternative fats to reduce calories,or using different flavor chocolate chips, coconut, mini marshmellows in ways you may find adds alot of versatality to plain old food as eaten previously.
Have fun with it all and even think of new ways to use and expand what is there. I have had a lot of fun with it. Hope you do too!