Top positive review
Eating healthy doesn't have to be a death sentence
on February 9, 2016
While I do love this book, many of the recipes contain processed ingredients, some of which are higher in sodium. I've been making the switch to eating a 'clean' diet over the past year or so due to health issues. I have diabetes, high blood pressure and hyperlipidemia. Losing weight has never been easy for me, especially now that I have reached menopause. I have to constantly work at it. All that stated, there are days when I crave something that isn't necessarily 100% pure. One can only eat so many plates of salmon, broccoli and brown rice . Sometimes you need plate of nachos and a piece of fudge for dessert. Enter Hungry Girl. While I personally wouldn't make these recipes a main staple of my diet, I certainly see no problem supplementing with a few recipes from the Hungry Girl books. It's enough to take the edge off so that I don't feel deprived, yet without going overboard. It works. As far as the sodium content in some of the foods goes, I've learned to make 'tweaks' to some of the recipes. I never fully follow all the recipes exactly as they are written so I try to substitute ingredients with lesser sodium items, or in some cases, I just make sure that the rest of my meals during the day are low sodium so that I can allow for something a little higher in salt. It's all a balancing act. The bottom line is that I am in the driver's seat of my own health. If you are someone who is very strict about not consuming any processed foods, this probably isn't for you. However, if you need a special treat now and then that won't send you to calorie hell, you'll want to add this to your cookbook collection. I have several of the Hungry Girl books and they have been an invaluable resource in helping me stay on my program. I eat healthy 90% of the time, but the other 10% I enjoy a lower calorie treat from one of the Hungry Girl books.