Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 236 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 481 reviews
on February 9, 2016
While I do love this book, many of the recipes contain processed ingredients, some of which are higher in sodium. I've been making the switch to eating a 'clean' diet over the past year or so due to health issues. I have diabetes, high blood pressure and hyperlipidemia. Losing weight has never been easy for me, especially now that I have reached menopause. I have to constantly work at it. All that stated, there are days when I crave something that isn't necessarily 100% pure. One can only eat so many plates of salmon, broccoli and brown rice . Sometimes you need plate of nachos and a piece of fudge for dessert. Enter Hungry Girl. While I personally wouldn't make these recipes a main staple of my diet, I certainly see no problem supplementing with a few recipes from the Hungry Girl books. It's enough to take the edge off so that I don't feel deprived, yet without going overboard. It works. As far as the sodium content in some of the foods goes, I've learned to make 'tweaks' to some of the recipes. I never fully follow all the recipes exactly as they are written so I try to substitute ingredients with lesser sodium items, or in some cases, I just make sure that the rest of my meals during the day are low sodium so that I can allow for something a little higher in salt. It's all a balancing act. The bottom line is that I am in the driver's seat of my own health. If you are someone who is very strict about not consuming any processed foods, this probably isn't for you. However, if you need a special treat now and then that won't send you to calorie hell, you'll want to add this to your cookbook collection. I have several of the Hungry Girl books and they have been an invaluable resource in helping me stay on my program. I eat healthy 90% of the time, but the other 10% I enjoy a lower calorie treat from one of the Hungry Girl books.
on September 28, 2011
I really love the idea of "ingredient swapping" to lose weight, but when you have to sacrifice real food for frankenfood.....it leaves ya wondering!

There are only a couple of really delicious recipes in this book......as for the rest, sugar free this, low fat that! It's just more low-fat, highly processed junk that we shouldn't even justify putting into our bodies on a normal basis. I wouldn't mind a few of her "sweet treats" once in awhile (I'm a real sucker for sugar), but the desserts I've made:

* dreamy chocolate peanut butter fudge
* chocolate-coated mousse-cream cones
* death by chocolate cupcakes

all were a HUGE FLOP!!

other flops:

*lord of the onion rings
*loaded 'n oated veggie pizza

The only other recipe I've made that I can honestly recommend with high regards is:

* perfect pepperoni pizzas
* crazy good turkey taco meatloaf
* i can't believe it's not sweet potato pie

That's 3 out of 8 recipes that I actually liked.....and honestly, I'm not a picky person. Just picky that my diet isn't full of frankenfood!!

If you want REAL food may I suggest:

1. Devin Alexander's The Most Decadent Diet Ever!
2. Lifetime's Cook Yourself Thin

^Now those contain recipes worth spending time on and with REAL food!
on May 5, 2008
I recieved my copy of the HUNGRY GIRL RECIPE AND SURVIVAL GUIDE last week.. wonderful book. The book offers easy recipes for foods similiar to those we would normally have to do with out when one is trying to improve their eating choices... HGRSG gives you many yummy choices, tips and ideas. HGRSG provides all the nutritional info at the top of the recipe so calculating your point distribution is made easy . You can also find point info for WW at the Hungry Girl Website as well as pictures of the various recipes... A useful resource in my opinion and well worth the 10 or so dollars.
ENJOY !!
on May 19, 2008
I purchased this cookbook about 2 weeks ago, though I do not frequent the Hungry Girl site. It's a great "junk food" recipe book for people who have to watch fat and calories.

I know HG takes a lot of heat for using processed food products in her recipes, and though this book does include some recipes requiring pre-packaged foods there is a surprising amount of them that don't (see the salad chapter). Some of the recipes are, in fact, surprisingly healthy. Squash fries and Sheperd's Pie being two of them.

I admit that I do do a lot of substituting though. I favor real milk over soy, low fat cheese over fat free, and I left the chili out of the nacho recipe because it sounded odd (I will replace with pinto beans the next time I make them). I will never use the shirataki noodles, I prefer the real thing as I am not a big carb counter.

I like the fact that there are a lot of single serving recipes, because frankly my man hates diet food and I can't feed this stuff to my 1-year-old daughter who doesn't need a reduced-fat diet.

The recipes are simple, and for the most part, delicious.

So far I've tried:
Onion rings (an acceptable substitute)
Buffalo chicken salad (my favorite so far)
Death by chocolate cupcakes (very rich)
The nachos (good, though the cheese sauce was a strange consistancy)
and the PB Fudge (the only one I would not make again--it was awful)
on March 12, 2017
its okay
on June 23, 2013
I gave the book only 3 out of five because in all of the recipes there was use of other "diet" foods. Those foods contain a lot of chemicals that I don't want to put in my body just for the sake of low calorie content. I was hoping for recipes using fresh produce and actual groceries. If you like those foods and don't have a problem with it I do recommend this series of books. There are definitely some innovative ways to use those products to make recipes that you may already love with out as much fat/sugar. If you are looking for the former I bought a book called Practical Paleo which had exactly what I was looking for.
on January 6, 2014
This is a cookbook I had to have after watching Hungry Girl programs. However, I have never used it and it's just taking up space. Sighhh. I am not a good dieter and hate substitutions but I had to have it-- NOT.
on August 21, 2013
I love so many things about Lisa Lillien's recipes. Her books are super helpful and the meals really do fill you up without leaving you in a food coma. On the downside, she uses a lot of processed foods, no-calorie sweeteners, and preservatives. We use a lot of substitutions for her substitutions: honey or agave in place of splenda, freshly sliced lean chicken breast in place of canned chicken, etc. Some of her recipes are hit and miss and depend on personal preference. It's a great book to help you get on the right track, but feel free to deviate from it with healthy options.
on September 12, 2016
My daughter in law asked me to order this book for her from Amazon. She is happy with it since it helps her with her "watching her weight" shopping at the grocery store. All my girlfriends love Hungry Girl. We all love her books.
on December 8, 2009
There are already 350 reviews for this book, so I wont make this long. I love this book! I have bought several Weight Watchers books, and when I came across Lisa Lilliens website ([...]) and learned about her books, I couldnt wait to check them out! I own this one, as well as "HG 200 under 200", and I have already pre-ordered her newest book that is supposed to be released March 30, 2010, "Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet".

This book is fantastic! Well worth your money!! I use the Hungry Girl recipes all the time, they are far better, in my opinion, than the WW cookbooks that I own.