Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on November 6, 2016
I don't think i could love this book anymore!!!! It was such an amazing read!!! Would give it more than 5* if i could, i love love love this series!!! The way that this was written just compels you to read more making this book such a page turner, it's one of those books that once you pick it up you don't want to put it down but then are gutted when it finishes because thats how good it is.

When i read the first book in this series i had no idea where the story would go and i definitely didn't think what happens in this book would happen. It is a surprising book in a very good way, i was enthralled from the first sentence! This is a book that you would need to read the first book beforehand as there is so much in this book that you would not fully understand if you had not. There are many surprises and twists and turns in this book that is filled with action around every corner and the way that katie Salidas writes this book doesn't just pull you in it drags you into the world that she has created and believe me you will love every moment. It is such a imaginative and descriptive book that your imagination just soaks it up making it come alive in your mind as you are reading it and for me, this makes a brilliantly talented writer.

One of the things that surprised me and also one of the reasons i loved this book was the introduction of Fallon, she is a brilliant character and i was so glad to find out more about hr and also see the connection she has with Alyssa, reading about it firsthand and not just from Alyssa’s memories. Fallon is such a great character to read about and i think i lot of that is because of her inner strength and confidence, you see her ripped from her safe insulated world and the way that she reacts to that is brilliant. She is such a strong female character and i really do hope we see more of her in the future.

You see Lysander in a slightly different light, the fact that not only is he the caring man with a big heart but you also see why he is the leader of the clan, the fact that he will put their needs above his own. I love reading about him, there is just something completely compelling about him that makes you want to know more about him and his past. You also see how much Alyssa means to him and i do love the interaction between the love of them and how much they feel for each other.

I really don't want to say aanymore and give away what happens in this book, i voluntarily reviewed this book and i am so glad that i did, this is a book and a series that everyone should read, it's amazing!!!
on September 28, 2013
Welcome to round 2 of the Immortalis Series. Last week we took a look at Book 1 and with that said, I'd like to give you guys a disclaimer. I don't normally include spoilers but this is a series, so please I'm begging you read the books that come before. I don't want to spoil anything but I will be referencing back. Now that my little PSA is said and done let's get down to business! Hunters & Prey continues to follow the story of Alyssa and Lysander, their clan and the only friend Alyssa had while she was human. An old enemy returns, bringing a new foe with him. Can the clan manage to outwit the Saints ad keep Alyssa out of trouble?

Katie follows up Carpe Noctem with a whole new set of challenges for out favorite couple. One of my favorite things about this book is that Katie jumps right into the story. She gives a refresher without the overkill of review that some writers struggle with. This is how you build a series! In my review of the first book I mentioned Fallon briefly, she is the obligatory annoying best friend. I will tell you that by the end of the book I don't hate her nearly as much as I did. But to me she is still just a tad self-centered and pushy. Fallon becomes a driving force in the plot once Alyssa is forced to out run Santino and ends up back at the coffee shop. Once Fallon spots Alyssa she's like a dog with a bone about what is going on. Alyssa should grow a back bone where Fallon is concerned, but now the damage is done. The relationship between Fallon and Alyssa also puts strain on the deepening relationship between Alyssa and the clan, including Lysander. Nicholas is still holding a grudge but it's nice to see everyone else trying to manage Alyssa's expectations with some grace. The realism of these interactions really help to keep the story grounded. The trials Alyssa and Lysander go through are a perfect example of keeping the characters real. I loved when Lysander proved his points while still pointing out that the situation Alyssa is fighting so hard against was of her own making.

Alyssa never wanted to be turned but I feel is starting to accept that it was the only way. The reappearance of Fallon just shoves in her face what she thought she made peace with. It's interesting to watch Alyssa struggle with the human motives that are so recent. The action scenes keep you guessing and Katie by no means guarantees anyone's safety. It's nice to see more interaction with the big bad Santino, even if it isn't always civil. This is defiantly a step up from the first book and to me that's a great sign. Book 1 was your introduction into this world. Now that you have the background Katie takes you right into the heart of what todays problem is without the problems being over used and predictable.

It was refreshing to see all the characters grow with this book. New situations cause new problems and Katie's characters handle then beautifully. Bottom line, must read if you have started the series, if you are looking for a paranormal to pick up this is one worth your time.

on September 21, 2016
I really love the visuals Katie Salidas creates with her writing; her descriptions were wonderful, and I really liked the flow of the book. I liked the first book in this series, but I didn't love it because the main character really annoyed me, and she continued to annoy me in this book, but I see some hope for her in this book! She makes some seriously damaging decisions in this book, that cause lots of problems for her friends. She doesn't think before acting, and although her intentions are good, her actions generally cause problems for herself and her group, so it is difficult to like her, but as I said, she is learning that she needs to think things through, so I liked her a bit more in this book. I loved all the action, and once the main plot started evolving I enjoyed a lot of the story. The romance definitely stepped up a notch in this book, and Lysander and Alyssa have some really sweet moments, and they definitely have a couple of spicy moments. In Hunters and Prey, Alyssa runs into some trouble, and ends up dragging her human friend, Fallon, into the vampire world, which is dangerous because a group of hunters is set on exterminating vampires, and a faction of these hunters has their sights set on Alyssa and her group of vamps. So, Alyssa needs to help rectify the trouble she caused by bringing Fallon into the vamp world, and she also has to deal with being hunted. I like that the book has a bit of gore, and that I can see the characters growing. I still wasn't love with the side characters; they all seemed rather dull, and I could have done without some of the scenes of Alyssa going feeding because it felt a bit repetitive to me. This book kept me interested and entertained till the end, so I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series!
on December 18, 2011
I am going to review this as a series instead of three separate books. Sometimes a vampire book can seem the same after reading so many, and lately I have had the pleasure of reading some wonderful vampire stories that have put an original twist to them. As with this series I am happy to say this series has that something different that I am always looking for in a great book.

Alyssa did not want to turn vampire, but, Lysander, a loner vamp turns Alyssa into a vampire in order to say her life, she was being attacked by a couple of guys who were trying to rape and kill her. Lysander turned Alyssa instead of letting her die. The first book in the series is mainly focused on Alyssa and her coming to terms with this life altering change to from human to vampire, she has an extremely hard time dealing with this and also with the fact they must drink straight from humans in order to stay alive, no animals or bag blood. Now she's whiny about the whole situation, but, you would be too if you were turned into a vampire against your will, and if you want an action packed book, this is the one to read. So book #1 off to a great start and on to book #2.

At the start of book 2 Alyssa is still having somewhat of a hard time with her change, but I think what impressed me most of all with this author, who by the way is a new author for me, is her writing style, at the start of book 2 Katie Salidas is able to recap book 1 so that you understand book 2 without confusing you totally, and with saying that if you hadn't started with the first book you can easily start reading the second book and understand it with no problems which I might add is a hard thing to do, bravo Ms. Salidas, I really like that in an author that impresses me a lot.

After having recurring nightmares about Santino, a evil vampire hunter. Lysander is adamant that he is not alive and hunting them, Alyssa knows he is, so when she comes face to face with him, Alyssa runs back to the only place that made her feel safe.....her old hang out when she was a mortal and runs into her best friend she had to leave behind when she was turned.....Fallon. So I really don't want to give away everything, we all know I hate spoilers but I will tell you a few things to keep you in suspense lol, Fallon gets kidnapped to try and have Alyssa fall right into Santino's trap he's set for her, and soon enough Alyssa figures out that worse things lay ahead, worse than Santino. I love this line from the book, "The enemy of your enemy is your friend.....Right?" Santino What a perfect line. Again another action packed book of this series, starts out great, love all the characters and I loved that Lysander and Alyssa's relationship has vamp up (no pun intended) lol you can just feel his love for her, and I love the addition of Fallon and Nicholas characters, no spoilers you gotta read it to . So book 2 awesome and now on the book #3.

The third book in this series was nothing short of amazing, such originality, more than the first and second , she has introduced more new characters, werewolves....Aiden to be specific *sigh* that's one hot werewolf. All three books are packed with action, wonderful characters, a fantastic plot and story line, and takes you on an emotional roller coaster ride which leaves you wanting more. If you haven't read any of these books yet I suggest you go right now and grab your copies of this awesome series. You will not be disappointed you did, and hang on to your seat for a great ride. I hope you all enjoy this series as much as I did!!! Enjoy!!!!!!
on April 25, 2011
I picked up the Kindle version of this book because I often write pretty heavy stories, and when I do make the time to read, I need something light and fun to lift my spirits. I wasn't disappointed. I think Ms. Salidas aims for dark, sensuous and brooding, but the storyline is too playful for that (although it is quite sexy in places), and her main character is too naive and airy. That's part of its appeal, however, and why it makes for a quick, easy read.

I'll try to avoid any real spoilers, but I have a few things I liked and disliked. As with her first book, I enjoyed the author's writing style. She had good flow, appropriate dialogue, and no awkward sentences. I'm a sucker for interesting characterization too, and Santino was probably my favourite in this book. I like the fact that the author addressed my point about little reflection on Alyssa's killing the innocent in the first book, but the explanation why Lysander has romantic rather than fatherly feelings towards Alyssa still is not there. To make matters worse, there are a few moments Alyssa does things that are so dumb, I was ready to throw my Kindle across the room. She at one point needs to escape to a location where there are a lot of humans, and all she can think of is the cafe she frequented before she turned. The only place she could think of with crowds of people...in Las Vegas...you can't be serious. Lastly, the constant reiteration of the rule about vampires not exposing their existence to humans was repetitive and annoying. I got it the first time, certainly the second, and definitely the third - I didn't need to read it several more times.

In spite of these minor irritations, it was a good book and considering how tired I am of the paranormal romance vampire/werewolf thing that has been done mostly to death, I'm still willing to rate this as a worthwhile read. I vote that you put your blinders up to any questionable items in the plot and enjoy a fun story.
on February 9, 2011
This Book was posted first on The Romance Reviews

In the vampire realm, humans are considered food, so what happens when the former best friend of a vampire, is the one that saves her from death? In this second installment, IMMORTALS: HUNTERS AND PREY, Katie Salidas turns the table on the very belief system of her vampire clan. Has she just signed a death warrant for her best friend? The real problem is, can she save her friend from her own blood lust? This is a well-written and gritty vampire tale peppered with not just your average vampire blood lust, but just plain lust.
In HUNTERS AND PREY, Alyssa conflicts with an old adversary, the most fearsome hunter of the Acta Sanctornum, Santino Vitale. Up until this very sighting, the vampire clan had thought him dead. The one thing that Santino holds most dear is the human life. Alyssa knows that he will not put humans at risk to kill a vampire. This leads her to one of her old human "watering holes" to seek protection. Forgetting that this would also put her into contact with human friends, those no longer a part of her new life as a vampire, she runs into her very best friend from before the change, Fallon. This is a complexity that can bring down the clan, and while there was a reason for her subterfuge, Lysander, her love and the vampire leader, will be angry.

His decision is to turn Fallon as well, in order to keep their secret. Since she is not reasonable about this, Alyssa becomes her champion, standing behind her and getting a commitment that her own clan would not kill her. When the new leader of Acta Sanctornum uses Fallon as a pawn to trap Alyssa, she finds that Quentin is even more evil than Santino. He has a twisted plan to build an army of mutant vampires. Santino is appalled because it puts humans at risk. He is willing to join sides with Lysander's clan to take Quentin to justice, but then all bets are off.

This is a dark and madcap story, full of unusual twists and turns. Because Alyssa is such a young vampire (newly turned), her blood lust is almost uncontrollable. She must feed more frequently to assuage her thirst, but to keep her strength as well. She is the mate of Lysander, the leader of the clan. Their relationship is fraught with emotion; Alyssa has control issues, but belongs to the controller. The one thing they have in common is a physical, lustful relationship. Just the richness of Lysander's voice can set Alyssa aflame. Imagine a simple touch. Everything becomes invisible when their lust ignites, their playful biting and actual feeding fan the flames, creating an inferno.

This is a story of vampires operating in and around our world, careful to maintain their privacy. Using only the most heinous criminals as feed, they are able to keep under the radar. Alyssa has changed that in one unthinking moment. Will they be able to continue as they have for thousands of years? In addition, can they collaborate with the enemy to stop a lunatic? The pace will keep you turning the page, until long after dark. Plan your reading time well.

This book was received free from the Author. All opinions are my own based off my reading understanding of the material.
on January 26, 2011
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy:

Vampire stories have become so prevalent in today's fiction that even readers outside the genre are aware of the trend. This preponderance of preternatural fantasy can make it more and more difficult to find a truly original spin on the vampire myth. Sparkles, soul mates, daywalkers, and boarding school... even though there are great examples of each of these tropes, sometimes it's hard to find the good hidden amongst the derivative. HUNTER AND PREY stands out from the crowd by being retro, embracing parts of the old school vampire myth that are largely neglected in Urban Fantasy today.

While I applaud Salidas's willingness to explore the less popular, more gruesome end of the vampire continuum, her execution left me wanting more. A good premise only gets me through the first few chapters, and unfortunately, the characters in HUNTER AND PREY never really stepped in to pick up the slack. The heroine, Alyssa, justifies killing a human every night with the explanation that she eats "murderers." This nod toward the Dexter defense didn't hold water for me, as Alyssa has only the most circumstantial evidence before she chows down. Every night she ventures out into the Las Vegas darkness, and if she sees you attacking someone, discussing attacking someone, or just generally hanging out in the wrong part of town looking like a threatening man, she's going to eat you. The book opens with a particularly gruesome "feeding", showing right off the bat that Alyssa is not a fainting flower.

To be honest, other than some qualms about Alyssa's profiling methods, I wouldn't have as much of an issue with Alyssa's diet if she herself didn't have bizarre mood swings associated with it. Despite inappropriate giggles and torturing criminals, Alyssa is angry that she is not able to feed without killing (both due to blood lust and the need to kill her victims to keep vampires a secret). Despite being a new vampire surrounded by ancients, she doesn't back down. Salidas is obviously setting Alyssa up to be a force for change in the vampire community, and I imagine future books will continue to explore potential changes to their lifestyle (yes, I just called killing and eating people every night a "lifestyle." That's pretty much how Alyssa treats it. It's like she wants to become a vegetarian and her parents won't "let" her).

The vampire responsible for thwarting Alyssa's quest for a more vegan-vampirism is her lover, Lysander, an odd mix of absentee landlord and controlling boyfriend. Only a few pages into the book he's dismissing Alyssa's concerns about Santino, using vampire mind-tricks to control her emotions, and trying to convince her that a "quickie" will cure all her ills. Lysander's antiquated cure for female hysteria not withstanding, his patience with Alyssa's mood swings and rash decisions is charming. Over two thousand years old, Lysander is learning to open up as much as Alyssa is learning to grow up, and there is enough chemistry between the two of them that I have hope that they'll someday meet in the middle.

Light on character development and long on old school vampirism, HUNTER AND PREY is good for those who are more interested in world building than the characters in it. If you miss the olden days of skulking vampires and hedonistic human-draining, this series is worth a peak.

Sexual Content: Explicit sex scenes, mentions of rape.
on January 5, 2011
Hunters & Prey is my 3rd book of Katie Salidas. And I must say she doesn't disappoint me. Her other two books were short paranormal erotic novellas and she hooked me from there. So when she contacted me and asked me if I'd be interested in reading "Hunters & Prey" I immediately agreed. Now as GCR followers, you guys should know I am NOT really into paranormal books. But I must admit with Katie Salidas along with another author has lured me into the genre. And to my surprise, I'm really enjoying the genre =)

So in Hunters & Prey you have Alyssa a fairly new vampire that is roughly adjusting to her new life while missing lots of things of her mortal life. Mostly including her BFF Fallon. As how else to welcome her into this new life but to have conflicts with a strong hunter. Someone out to kill vampires. After a huge blowout, they come face to face again. And not knowing what to do Alyssa runs back to her old hangout spot and bumps into her BFF Fallon. Where she has to explain her whereabouts and such, which ended up in a confession as to what she really is: a vampire.

But by revealing to a mortal that she's a vampire she breaks the law. No mortal should be part of the immortal world and vice versa. Little did Alyssa know that by revealing her new identity she sets up Fallon for nothing but trouble. And that's where the action begins.

I read this book in 3 days. I would have read it quicker but I have a child that demands too much attention. This is a great read. I love how Alyssa and her clan pulled together through all the drama. Yes certain members in her clan gave her grief like "Nicholas" (He's my favorite character. I LOOOVEEE his personality) but everything is done together as a family. I just loved this book. If I keep on talking about it, I'd probably give spoilers and that's the last thing I wanna do. Katie has turned this paranormal book to fit today's views and she just lures you in. This is definitely a "Good Choice for Reading". So if you're looking for an action packed paranormal book then you must buy this book. You won't be disappointed. I give this one a 5 out of 5 stars.
on April 13, 2011
How the mighty has fallen! I liked the twist to the story in this follow up in the Immortalis series. This kept me entertained all the way through the book. I think this should be a very interesting story for future books in this series and I'm interested to see what becomes of the Acta Sanctorum.

I didn't think I would, but I liked the fact that Alyssa feeds only on bad guys. I'm not usually fond of vampires killing their meals, but I found this worked for me. I found Alyssa's will to not harm the innocent to be a great characteristic and shows her to be strong willed, not only to her mate, but to herself as well.

I would have liked to have seen Alyssa grow a bit more as a vampire (ie, training) but the author seems to have this in the bag for later and I'm excited to see the vampire that Alyssa could be.
on July 18, 2017
Ok, so book 2 pretty much picks up where the first left.

Alyssa, Lysander and the travelling clan have pretty much recovered from the battle with Santino and the saints and are looking to move on for a little while.

Alyssa has been having vivid dreams of Santino tho, but due to her age Lysander brushes them off as a fear from the trauma she's just had to deal with - which is true. In the last 6 weeks she had to endure the attack from the 2 men that nearly caused her death, her turning, her trouble with coming to deal with living as a vampire, and then the battle.

The first hunt of the book sees Alyssa hunting alone.....and sending a vamp near. She calls them out and is certain it's Santino that replies and steps out into the light. She runs home.
But because she can't say for certain if it's him again it's brushed aside.

To be safe Alyssa hunts closer to home the next night. There's no mistaking it this time. But she doesn't want to lead them home, jumps in a cab.....But takes him to possibly one of the worst places she could.....

......to the cafe she frequented as a human.

This book has a lot more action in it than book 1.

When you reach the end it is clear why the tag line is "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"

But not all the clan is of the same mind.

World's are mixed. And it's due to the stubbornness on behalf of one side that endangers Alyssa and more because of it.

How it will work out in the long term....im not sure.

Lysander shows his love for Alyssa a lot more in this one too which I'm pleased about. He wasn't very forthcoming in the first book, and she needed someone to keep her happy and anchored to the vampire life.

The travelling clan however, seem not to be moving for a while! This looks to be a good thing as it appears to be aiding Alyssa in the next book.....which is intriguing to think about as she's very strong minded. I'm unsure how she's going to take orders - even if they ARE meant to make her a better and stronger vampire.

As for Santino....its unclear. But I know we haven't seen the last of him.

Whether it's as a friend or enemy? That's to be seen.

This is gathering momentum nicely and glad to see Lysander and Alyssa's relationship showing a bit more warmth...

onto book 3!!