Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 29 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 39 reviews
on March 28, 2014
We live in South Dakota and have spent our lives living next to Hutterites. For the most part they are good and kind and gentle people, just like people on the "outside". I have found over the years that the more progressive colonies have allowed their young people much more freedom in an attempt to keep them on the colony, they have to or parents lose every child to the outside world. I do know that they love and care for their handicapped children, and care for their elderly in their homes, you won't find anyone dumped in a nursing home if they are a Hutterite.

I do know however that there are many incidents of physical and sexual abuse that is not addressed and for that I feel sad, especially for the young woman. The woman are second class citizens.

The nine stories all read the same, I think they all had the same outline they worked off of. Got kind of boring by about number 6, but I'm glad I read it.
on February 12, 2017
I commend the writers of the book for the boldness in stepping out and documenting their journey, but I sense so much bitterness in glancing through the chapters of this book. It is not written with love and a true heart of forgiveness. I say that because I left a colony and became a believer, and while I see a religion that is so empty like all other religions, my heart breaks for the eternal destiny of my people and the hundreds of lives that the enemy continues to mislead through a false sense of security. While I do not agree with the doctrine and beliefs of the Hutterite way of life, I will be forever grateful for the work ethic I have because of the colony lifestyle, and the beauty a community working together can be. May God help us walk with a meek and humble heart overflowing with thanksgiving, and a burden for the lost.
on May 26, 2014
We, as Christians and Americans, somewhat take our way of life for granted until we see what can happen when our freedom is taken away. Our forefathers came to the States in order to live their life without reprisals from church or government and what the Hutterite colonies have done is weave their selfish weaknesses into their daily lives and using God's name for their own purposes. I cannot honestly say only the Hutterites have done this; most of mankind has, in one way or another. If we all lived as Jesus did and kept God's commandments; the world would be a better place to live. Unfortunately, the biggest problem encountered today is greed and the dishonestly that goes with it. We do not treat others as we ourselves wish to be treated. After reading this book, I feel there is hope for the next generation to see, live, and teach that Jesus will hear if you allow yourself to reach out to him.
on May 15, 2014
It isn't always easy to escape from a spiritually abusive system, but these brave souls managed to do just that. I might have wanted more detail on the actual escapes so that others in the same boat could know how to go about it. Or an address or phone number as a resource. The point about Hutterites having all things common but in reality practicing horrendous inequality was important.
on December 21, 2014
The book is mainly a testimony of their new beliefs, and not much about their experiences as members of Hutterite colonies. The authors are not clear about what led them to leave. I did not find their stories informative, nor enlightening. I teach at a colony and have many interactions with the people. I have found them to overall, be content, happy, and fulfilled.
on October 25, 2014
Each of the nine's stories sounded as though they were written by the same person since they varied so little. There is no detail or personal accounts in the tale of their life in the colony.
on March 19, 2014
A little over the top in quoting Bible verses. The same story was told by all the nine so made for an uninteresting read after the first chapter.
on January 16, 2015
I had never heard of the Hutterites before but recently read that three of them had moved to my area so I wanted to know more about the group. I enjoyed reading about the nine people who left the colony and how they have grown in their faith.

I recommend this book to anyone wanting to read more about this group. I plan to read their second book next and then I have another book about how the people in this group live that I will read also.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2014
Our Story To Freedom is a story written by 9 people saying the very same thing in different situations, I found it somewhat boring

I found the story about the Hutterites, espousing the same ideas although their situations were different. I rated this book as a trifle boring.
on April 23, 2017