Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 722 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 870 reviews
This is my second Hyloft storage. After I installed 45" x 45" I was so pleased with it that I bought this smaller storage.

Hyloft consists of 4 steel poles attached to the rafters, 2 poles that connect them to form a support to 2 gridded shelves.

Since I have exposed beams I slightly modified how I attached the 4 steel poles to the rafters instead of bolting the to the bottom per instructions that worked with finished ceilings, I attached them to side of the rafters with a set of bolts I purchased separately. You can see my method in attached video.

What is nice about the system is that it gives you a bit of freedom of how to position the poles, as you can see in the video they do not have to be precisely in the corners of the shelves. I have some over hang as it allowed me to position the shelves in a way that will be easy to access them from all directions for loading and unloading. It also gives you a lot of control of how high from the floor you want to hang the shelves.

Ali Julia review
on March 1, 2016
Very easy to install and suited my purposes perfectly. It seems to be relatively heavy duty I had no problems with construction. In my photos I have it as short as it will get so if you have room you could nearly double the clearance you see in my photos.
review image review image review image
I installed 45" x 45" HyLoft storage system in the unfinished basement. Hyloft consists of 4 steel poles attached to the rafters, 2 poles that connect them to form a support to 3 gridded shelves.

The system feels very secure although it flexes as you put things on and off. It is very roomy and allowed me to use previously dead space very effectively. I liked it so much that I also purchased a second smaller unit (27" x 36") to make use of the area above washer and dryer.

Ali Julia review
on July 24, 2017
The bolts that hold the three flat panels together do not secure the platform so when you put stuff on it for storage, the panels slide around which is inconvenient and could be dangerous. However, it was relatively easy to install, had some flexibility for mounting to the ceiling joists and appears durable enough. If the panels had eyelets to put the bolts through so that the individual panels would be secure and all three could be secured to the frame, then I would rate it five stars.
on May 7, 2012
I have a garage with 12' ceilings, and this works perfectly over the garage door. I could even use 6-8" more length in the arms, but otherwise works fine. Beware that the instructions are unclear, as I assumed you would put the supports on the corners. You don't, you put them on a single joist (24" in my case). For the 24" version you place them with uneven overhang and connect them together. For 24" joist they recommend 6"/15" - 9"/12" - 12"/9" - 15"/6"

It's hard to find, but go to hyloft dot com, select FAQ then "How many HyLoft units can I install in my garage?" There is a PDF with recommended spacing and layout.

I bought two to start, and liked it well enough that I just ordered 3 more, may hang even more than that!

---------
Update 5/27/2012
Turns out the newer units are made slightly inferior to the older units. The new units had the extra bag of screws (see the other reviews) and the arms and racks are thinner metal than the previous ones. They still seem sturdy enough but when up against the old the difference in quality is obvious. Having said that, I'm still satisfied. Having installed 5, I agree the first is by FAR the slowest, the rest take about 1.5 to 2 hours each to properly install. I have room for at least one more.

Here are a couple of tips:
1) The new screws have larger heads than the old, you'll need a 7/16" for your drill/driver to put the lags in the ceiling. The remainder are 3/8.
2) If you have two cordless drills your install will go much faster. Put your drill bit in one and your nut-driver in the other. That way you save a lot of time drilling the pilot holes then driving the anchors into the ceiling. Like the others I ignored the nails since I could easily see my joists.
3) Having a 5/16 nut driver with a hollow shaft will really help when putting the small nuts on that hold the panel pieces together.
4) When you open the package carefully cut the zip-ties so you can re-use them. The 4 zip-ties that hold the edge beams to the grate in the package are FAR FAR better/stronger than the ultra cheap ones they give you to tie the sections together. If you cut the ones in the package so you can re-use them, you'll be much happier when tying the sections together. A little swaying and the small cheapos broke, but the package ones are very strong and 3x as wide.
on April 8, 2015
Do your measurements. These are smaller than I thought, but I didn't do good measurements beforehand.
Also, it's not an easy job! I don't have a framing square and wasn't sure if my drywall was straight or the studs on the ceiling were parallel. My Zircon $50 stud finder doesn't work well on textured walls. Luckily, I was able to get up in my attic and nailed tiny finishing nails down thru the ceiling right next to the studs, so then I made my straight lines on the ceiling below and was able to get them straight. This was after Mis-drilling a few times. Working on ceilings and looking up throws your sense of measurement off!
But they hold stuff and that's what I needed - plus, they're reasonably priced.
See the pic below.
review image
on June 16, 2015
We invested in this as a way to store some of our camping supplies and other things in our rather small garage. The storage rack itself is well designed and sturdy but the instructions are absolutely terrible. The box claims you can install it within 45 minutes but we found that to be overly optimistic.

A few tips we learned the hard way:

Measure for the length and depth before you start. We installed this in the mud room between the garage itself and the house and had to work around a light fixture. It took some tweaking in order to get the positioning right and also a few false starts as we hadn't considered how far things would stick out once we installed the additional shelf beneath the unit.

The bolts used to secure this into the beams are very long. As you ratchet them in you'll think you're almost done at least twice before you actually are. This makes for difficult installation since you're having to do it above your head so be prepared.

The supports that run along the bottom are a bit forgiving but not too much, so be sure to measure exactly where you need to put the bracket arms. You can be a bit off but not much or else it skews the entire unit and makes it impossible to put down the grates.

All in all, the unit works well and does what it promises, but this definitely is not a project for people new to home improvement. The directions are really just pictograms and you'll probably find the photo on the box itself to be a better reference than the actual instructions. Still, if you can get through the installation, it's a great way to make use of your garage space.
on February 10, 2016
If you can find a stud and drill a few holes, you can install these in less than an hour. I found them easy to install and an amazing way to use the wasted space above our garage doors! I bought 4 of these to put above a double garage door (2 on each side of the garage door opener track).

One thing I would suggest when installing them... Plan to have access to both sides of the rack... meaning, leave enough space between the rack and the wall on one side and on the other side between the rack and the garage door opener track to be able to load containers on and off of the system. They are pretty deep and it is hard to reach the back if you install them too close and can only access them from one side.

So nice to have all of that floor space opened up and much easier to fit cars in the garage without trying to squeeze between a bunch of storage containers. I highly recommend these HyLoft storage racks!
on November 12, 2015
This is my second hyloft storage product. I actually am using them in my 2 outdoor sheds so I can take advantage of the unused upper portion. They come partial assembled and are fairly easy to install. I chose not to use the large lag screws that came with it and chose to use a heavy duty shorter wood screw. Since the rafters in the shed are only 2x4's and since I wasn't putting anything too heavy on lift, that was an option. It is made so well and can be basically adjusted to any angle you have. As seen in photos I even hung some yard equipment from loft. It can handle a bit of weight but be sure to follow their directions if you will be loading it up.
review image review image review image review image review image
I'm happy with this purchase as I am able to use space on the ceiling for extra storage, however, I wish it was a bit wider. The install was easy, I installed the shelves over the garage door area, I had to raise the arms to clear the garage door when opening, with 2 inch clearance. I lost some important storage space there, but I am happy with the location.

I will eventually order another kit for the other side of the garage, but I am still monitoring the stability of the one I already installed, so far so good.
review image