- Audio CD (January 11, 2000)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Label: Asv Living Era
- Run Time: 78.00 minutes
- ASIN: B000038I8H
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #648,754 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
Have one to sell?
Hymnus / Little Concert / Shahnama
See all formats and editions Hide other formats and editions
1. Hymnus for mixed choir and orchestra: Hymn at Dawn
2. Hymnus for mixed choir and orchestra: Evening Hymn
3. Little Concert for solo oboe, two horns, and string: Lento e calmo - Recitando: tranquillo
4. Little Concert for solo oboe, two horns, and string: Allegro vivace
5. Little Concert for solo oboe, two horns, and string: Vivace assai
6. Shahnama for small orchestra: Title. Recitando: poco sostenuto
7. Shahnama for small orchestra: Rustram and the seven champions hunt in Turan. Con moto e molto vigoroso
8. Shahnama for small orchestra: Majnun prostrate himself at his Mother's feet. Poco larghetto
9. Shahnama for small orchestra: The Women of Egypt, overcome by the beauty of Yusuf, cutting their fingers as they peel oranges. Poco espansivo, ma con moto
10. Shahnama for small orchestra: Rustrum and Kay Kaus watching the King of Mazendarian turning hin=mself into a boulder. Molto deliberato - Agitato
11. Shahnama for small orchestra: Graveyard discussion. Grave; ben misurato e ritiato
12. Shahnama for small orchestra: Intermezzo - the returned traveller discovers maidens at play in his garden. Poco maestoso - Scherzando e grazioso
13. Shahnama for small orchestra: Battle between Kay Khusraw and Afrasiyab. Agitato ma pesante
14. Shahnama for small orchestra: A palace at night. Lento e fluttante
Top Customer Reviews
By MOVIE MAVEN on March 18, 2001
Format: Audio CDComment Sending feedback...
Friends of mine in London knew that I had never heard the music of one of England's most revered living composers: Nicholas Maw. They sent me this CD and it is magnificent. There are 3 totally different pieces of music here, written between 1987 and 1996, almost as if they were written by 3 different men. The "Hymnus" is arguably the most beautiful. It consists of two hymns (one for dawn, one for evening) performed hauntingly by the Oxford Bach Choir & the BBC Concert Orchestra. Maw paints pictures with his music and much of it is in the British pastoral style, esp. the "Little Concert" written for solo oboe, 2 horns and strings. The "lonely" sound of the oboe immediately reminded me of the music of Gerald Finzi and even of the paintings of Edward Hopper. If you think that a contemporary composer can only write atonal music, give Maw a listen. His work is completely melodic, mysterious, lovely. The sound on this new disc is perfect, as are all the performances.
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again