Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Stocking Stuffers Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Platinum artists Shop Now

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 615 reviews(5 star, verified purchases). Show all reviews
on October 6, 2016
One of my all time favorite series. Full of great characters, amazing settings, fabulous story lines, and if you read the whole series of 4 books, you'll get into philosophy, religion, ethics, science, the future of mankind in several forms, and a story you won't be able to put down. I cry my eyes out every single time I read the last book, and I've read them all several times. I bought this book to replace one that I loaned out to someone who never gave it back. Goes to show why I don't like to loan my books out. These are incredibly well written, deep and thoughtful, and you will love these books. Almost impossible to describe with any shade of accuracy. I can tell you what it's about and it's like saying the ocean is big. You know what big is, but until you see it, you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Read this, and then the others. You won't regret it.
on October 17, 2016
Jealous? Yep. This was one of the best science fiction books I've read in a while. The story is told through the backstories of six different characters that are on a spaceship destined for the planet Hyperion. each story lays down some of the history this future 300 world hegemony, and also builds on the previous story despite the fact that the stories are largely unrelated to each other. The success of the book comes from the rich, believable characters and the wonderful pacing and interplay of the individual stories. Very similar to the way the Canterbury Tales are told. The underlying story takes a back seat to the individual stories and in fact doesn't even get a resolution. There is a second book that is supposed to finish the story but I have no problem with the story ending as it does (though I do plan to read the next book). In my opinion, good stories don't tell a beginning or an end because on the grand scale, things don't begin or end, everything is constantly moving forward. This story covers an interesting point in these characters lives and the story of how they come together proves more interesting than the reasoning of why. Though that may be because the underlying antagonist is so much more than just the stereotypical monster of out nightmare that the book begins with. Through the individual stories a new story unfolds, and by the end of the book the original reason that they all came together is no longer the point. It's more of a footnote in the intrigue and web of deceit that mankind and its offspring are continuously perpetuating. The balls on this writer to end this book as he did... Refreshing to see. No doubt the financial promise of a sequel was too much to ignore, but even if it was always planned I still love the way this one ended.
on February 23, 2005
Let's be honest here: reading hard SF is one of those things that can easily draw disapproving glances from those nearby. Writers like Simmons simply have to work harder than others [Crichton springs immediately to mind - he sells lots and lots of - dare I say it? - truly mediocre books]. Hyperion is the result of a fantastic idea and lots and lots of really, really good writing.

The changes in points of view are worthy of William Faulkner. What motivates each character, as we learn when they tell their stories, is always interesting and surprising. Far from relying on techno jiggery pokery to save the tale, he uses good, old-fashioned story telling to accomplish results that are just so rare and pleasing.

These days I am afforded fewer and fewer luxuries by way of time for pleasure reading; I nevertheless bought three more Simmons titles immediately after finishing Hyperion. It's that good. He's that good.
on July 15, 2016
way better than I thought it was going to be. It has a super goofy premise, but the story is very engrossing. I love good science fiction, most of the books seem to be written by 15 year olds for 12 year olds. This is definitely original and very interesting
on May 31, 2016
Obviously it is critical to read Hyperion first - and this does a great job of picking up where the end of Hyperion left off. Off to a bit of a slow start but picks up rapidly. Hands down one of the best sci-fi series I've every read!
on May 9, 2016
This is a great story. I was inadvertently reading through a list of Hugo Award-winning novels, and found this. It's probably the best kind of science fiction around -- a literary, character-driven story with depth. Honestly, it's hard to find that kind of thing in a genre that's more action and plot-oriented. But Hyperion really delivers as a solid multifaceted romp.

Basically, it's a modern science fiction version of the Canterbury Tales. And Dan Simmons pulls it off extremely well. He goes through each of the main characters' stories, one by one, revealing more of the plot every time. Not only does it keep you in suspense for the rest of the story, the characters are genuinely interesting and full of complexities and nuance, and each of their individual tales are complete and fulfilling shorts on their own. And the whole that it makes up in the end is well worth the price of admission. I would highly recommend this to anyone in search of good science fiction, or a good literary, character-driven tale in general.
on December 4, 2016
My only complaint is that I didn't realize this is Part 1 until I was in the last 100 pages or so. At the end of the book, you get the feeling that now the story will finally "really" get started in Part 2. Most of Hyperion is basically a series of short story flashbacks being told by the main characters. It is pretty much all set-up for the second book.

Otherwise, great story, very original with interesting, deep characters. Can't wait to finish it.
on January 2, 2016
Dan Simmons clearly fancies himself as a poet.

If you can get past that, excellent book, wonderful read. Basically, first fifty pages or so annoying, then the book captivates and you can ignore the literary chest pounding/whatever is going on there.
on March 15, 2016
This book vaulted to the top five of my all-time favorites list. It is that good. To start with, it is important to know that the format of this book is a little bit unusual. It is essentially several short stories that flesh out details of the characters and how they got to the point where the novel begins. While there are sections of the "present" they do not make up a majority of the plot. That being said, when the characters are so well realized and the stories so compelling, it makes the story work to perfection. There are a lot of unexpected twists, the writing is beautiful, and there are a lot of mysteries that I was excited to keep reading about. One word of caution: the book drops you in and throws around names and terms without spelling out for you what they mean. It becomes clear as you continue reading, but at the very beginning it may rub some people the wrong way. It is worth it to stick with it however, as it is a masterpiece.
on February 3, 2016
I haven't really read much Sci-fi for years, although I was an avid fan in my youth. I tried this book, originally not realizing that it was Sci-fi, and I was very impressed ... enough to pick up book 2 and be halfway through.

I was hooked when each of the "pilgrims" told his own story, and frankly each could be a book in itself.