- File Size: 2824 KB
- Print Length: 376 pages
- Publisher: Oxford University Press; 1st edition (March 24, 1994)
- Publication Date: March 24, 1994
- Language: English
- ASIN: B004VDLZGA
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #518,294 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the Tenth Dimension 1st Edition, Kindle Edition
All Books, All the Time
Read author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more at the Amazon Book Review. Read it now
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
Michio Kaku has a rare talent for being able to explain very complex and abstract systems and situations in terms that people who have not had a graduate level college course in the subject can understand. He thus moves quite deftly from subject to subject, taking the time to explain things in terms that any reader should be able to understand.
However, for a book on Science, Kaku gets caught up in discussions about things that did not contribute much to the text (although a discussion of God does not necessarily _detract_ from the book, it isnt what I was looking for).
Kaku has written another book, _Visions_, which covers many of the subjects elaborated on in this book. I would suggest readers get the Visions book, and also pick up a copy of the much more modern and somewhat higher-brow book by Brian Greene, _The Elegant Universe_.
Four stars because it is a good book, five if it were contemporary.
I greatly enjoy the tone that the author takes in explaining everything. Much of what I appreciate about the work is the time that the author spends explaining the history of human thought in geometry and physics, and the effects that each revolutionary new thought and insight had, both in learned circles, as well as in the popular perception. Physicists coming to the defense of charlatans and spiritualists, ghosts moving through the fourth dimension, and a lot of other fun stuff.
If you want a well-written introduction to String Theory, Quantum Theory, and a whole lot more, I'd start here.
An other fact which can interest the lector is that in a black-hole the information can be stopped because it doesn't go beyond the events horizon, fact named "cosmic censure". Therefore this book contains many particularities and everyone can read those whom he prefers.
Arrived quickly, and it was just as I expected. It's a little more beat up that I'd wanted, but I think that may just be due to more love for the book. At least that is what I am thinking as I read it.
I recommend this book to anyone curious about the building blocks of reality and the time-space continuum.
I'm a science fiction buff, but really like this "Science Faction". He chronicles some of the most brilliant minds that shaped the development of current theories, such as Einstein, Ramanujan and the most recent contributors to String Theory and the "Theory of Everything".
Entertaining, provocative and educational.
Most recent customer reviews
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Engineering & Transportation > Engineering
- Books > Science & Math > Agricultural Sciences > Food Science
- Books > Science & Math > Astronomy & Space Science > Astrophysics & Space Science
- Books > Science & Math > Astronomy & Space Science > Cosmology
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Quantum Theory
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Time
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Waves & Wave Mechanics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science & Math > Astronomy & Space Science > Astrophysics & Space Science
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science & Math > Astronomy & Space Science > Cosmology
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science & Math > Physics > Quantum Theory
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science & Math > Physics > Time
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science & Math > Physics > Waves & Wave Mechanics