Customer Reviews: I Am
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Leonard Cohen Shop Cycling on Amazon

• I Am
  • Customer Reviews

Format: Amazon Video|Change

on February 5, 2012
After reading the negative reviews on here I decided to write my own in case you are wondering what you'd get out of this movie.
If you are looking for proof that the ONLY way to survive in this planet is by killing eachother, stepping over people and ignoring social issues and calling those who don't crazy, then no, this movie is not for you.
If you have an open heart and know deep in your core that there is evidence all around that what we are doing is NOT working, that we are ALL suffering because we are living life like brainwashed robots, then this movie might be of interst to you... This movie is about the basics, about how we can all tap into our most effortless human instincts and feelings of love, compassion, co-operation etc, and how those are more powerful than you even realize.

What can possibly be wrong with that message???? And why do we need a discussion on who is a real scientist for this?? If someone treats you poorly your whole life and you are miserable, should I require scientific evidence that the other person's treamtment REALLY is the cause..?? Once we start going that road, then no, this movie is the least of your problems because your foundation itself is not all that solid.
If you are of the firm belief that abuse, oppression and unhealthy competition to be the best, to be better than every one else is the way the live life, then yes, you will hate this movie.
For every one else: I'm yet to meet someone who doesn't love this. We as a societly DESPERATLY need more products out there with these kind of messages, particularly for our youth since our adults are so bitter and jaded (as you can clearly see here..) :):)
2222 comments| 700 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2011
I saw Tom's interview on Oprah and immediately looked for theatre showings. This documentary is life changing. As Tom notes in the film, "nature takes only what it needs". The giant redwood doesn't take all the nutrients from the soil, only what it needs. The lion doesn't kill every gazelle, only what it needs. The whole idea of living beyond ones needs is carried to the ultimate destruction of the host by cancer cells to the body and mankind to the planet. I loved his story of how a herd of deer determine when and where to move to water or to feed. True democracy in action. Community, community, community!! After the movie was over, everyone in the theatre stayed to watch the credits. As the lights came up and the film ended, big hugs erupted as people were leaving. Thank you, Tom, for a life-changing inspirational and educational experience.

BTW, I traveled a thousand miles to see this movie. Wish it had a wider distribution. John, New Mexico
44 comments| 250 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2011
I was honored to watch this movie for a company meeting. I was not informed previous to watching what the movie was about. It was kept a secret. But after watching I realized that it was great. Tom was able to get interviews with some very pertinent individuals in the neurology, science, religious, medical fields. This movie gives great examples on how "I am the problem, and I am the solution". Especially in this day there are so many people blaming other's. We can only change ourselves. It is a great movie and a must watch for everyone!
11 comment| 252 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2011
This film is chock-full of great thoughts, wisdom and facts that we probably won't see in one place any other way. It took so much courage for Tom to take a seering look at himself and his life. To learn that even though it looked to the outside world like he had done it "all right," in fact, he had it "all wrong."

But through his eyes, education and experience, he not only realized how the world can become a great place we actually feel good about, but provides a blue print showing how we can all create a fulfilling personal life.

What's wrong with the world? I AM

What's right with the world? I AM

Major kudos. Well, well done!
11 comment| 279 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2011
I saw this movie at the Dundee Theatre in Omaha NE.I was extremely depressed when I saw it.My fiancee had died 2 years ago and I had a heart-attack 2 days after he died and have had heart-problems ever since.My fiancee Bob had been in a very serious bicycle-accident that had left him in a coma and when he finally awoke he was never the same again-I had put it down to other things(his father was ill) and then blamed myself when Bob killed himself.
The Director of "I Am" had also had a biking accident and his description of post-concussion syndrome sounded exactly like Bob,and as I sat there in the theatre I was finally able to see this wasn't my fault.I thought to myself--"Now if only it would expain my heart problems" and then it did;and then it explained what is wrong with the world and in the procees confirmed that everything I have come to believe is true!
I cannot reccommend this movie enuff!!!!
22 comments| 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2011
I just saw this movie in a theater after seeing Tom Shadyac on Oprah and am inspired. Sign me up to purchase a DVD as soon as that is available because I want friends and family to see this life-changing documentary about love and connectivity and it won't in theaters much longer. For some reason (because it is an indie?) there hasn't been much press.

Powerful images of love and pain illustrate our visceral response to other humans and animals: I laughed, winced and shed a couple of tears.

Science only deals with what is measurable, but we all know there is much more to life than what can be counted. In fact, what can be counted doesn't count for much in the long run. This movie made me think about what really counts.

Peg R.
44 comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2012
"The world is his who can see through its pretension...see it to be a lie and you have already dealt it its mortal blow." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So begins the documentary film "I Am" by Tom Shadyac, big time Hollywood director who had an epiphany after an accident nearly cost him his life. This film will transform your understanding of who you are and inspire you about humanity and what is possible for our global destiny.

Learn what Darwin actually said about survival -- that sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature and that our ability to cooperate and take care of others is how our species evolved. This film DEFINES the new outlook that will prevail in 2012, and provides access to a breakthrough for humanity.

As the Gandhi quote says, "Be the change you want to see in the world." Filmmaker Shadyac says, "I AM isn't as much about what you can do, as who you can be. And from that transformation of being, action will naturally follow."

Don't miss it -- you'll want to share this with everyone!

from the review at: [...]
...saw and lived this provocative and life-changing documentary, undoubtedly our world would be a much better place. This is the perfect response to the important life-long question "How, then, shall we live?" In a culture that celebrates youth and superficial values, I particularly loved how Tom interviewed some of the wisest people living today--and in most cases, they were over sixty.

An amazing blessing in my life was when I ran into Tom Shadyac at my daughter's Kenyon College graduation a few weeks after seeing the film (apparently, his nephew was graduating that same day); he was just as gracious and authentic in person as the movie depicted him to be. I can't wait to use it in my English classroom next year, as I am confident that it will be a life-changer.
on May 20, 2011
I saw this movie tonight and I want to get a copy of it to share with everyone I know! In a simple, down-to-earth way Shadyac shows what wrong in the world and what we can do about it! A huge undertaking and complete in its own way. Well done!
on July 18, 2011
. . . tenth person to give this documentary five stars! And I know there will be many more.

The subject is heavy - 'what's wrong with our world and what can we do about it?' - But Tom manages to combine deep and profound ideas from great thinkers, humor and his own amazing story into an inspiring (this movie defines the word) global tapestry. It is going to be showing only a short time in our town. I'm sorry about this because seeing it with a crowd has a certain magic about it. And I would love to do it again. And again.

Every person Tom interviews contributes with intellect and heart, a word I have new respect for now. The editing was impressive and cohesive. I will enjoy re-reading "The Field" after seeing Lynne McTaggart.

I'm sure I will see many more lessons as I watch it again, but for tonight, my personal take-away is 'Be conscious and be aware of opportunities to respect and show compassion in any small way to just one living creature. In a word, love. I am and I can make a difference.'

This has been said before; it will be said again. Tom has said it for this moment when we are so in need of hearing and doing anything that will be healing and helpful. He reminds us through his experience that grandness isn't necessary to make a difference. In fact, smallness is often the best way to affect our personal worlds in a big way.

Second take-away: Living small with fewer wants is a good definition of freedom.

Thank you, Tom and all who worked with you.