Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Def Leppard All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

I Am the Messenger
Format: Paperback|Change

on December 17, 2017
I had a hard time getting into this book in the beginning, but once I got about 20% through it, it picked up and got interesting. Lots of good messages in the story, but that last one is especially beautiful. Will update my review after the book club discussion
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I first read this book in high school and loved it, so I bought it for my Kindle to reread, and while it's still a good book, it doesn't hold up as well the second time through.

'I am the Messenger' tells the story of Ed Kennedy, a man chosen to help the residents of his ghetto-ish town, and the people he meets along the way. Most of the characters and lessons learned are fun and inspiring.

The only problems I have with this book are:

1. Zusak uses a lot of one sentence jokes and descriptions that get annoying after a few chapters, and
2. The ending reveal of who's manipulating Ed is pretty dumb.
on April 11, 2016
This is my first time to read a Zusak book. I really like the effortless writing style, and it was a quick read. The beginning took off well, lagged a bit in the middle, and then did disappoint me at the end- it just felt rushed. To me, this book was just ok. I liked the protagonist but not sure I would try another Zusak novel.
on September 22, 2017
I found this book a great disappointment after The Book Thief. I just loved The Book Thief and felt that it was up there with some of the best novels I have ever read. But this book was hard to get into, and I found the voice of the narrator really annoying. There were some poignant moments and warm insights into sad and messy human lives, but overall I just didn't enjoy it that much. Too many stories, too much humility from the narrator, too many characters to really connect with them.
on September 4, 2017
Was not sure I was going to be able to read this book, bought it for my kindle because saw the young author had won an award. Language a bit raw in the beginning yet so very glad I trudged my way through as it TURNED OUT TO BE A GREAT READ!!
on May 31, 2016
This was a very good read until about five pages from the end when the answer to the mystery is revealed. The ending was rushed, not in the least believable. It's as though the author just threw something out there so that he could be done with it. On a positive note, the characters, including the dog, were well developed and the plot itself was well put together. But because of the utterly ridiculous ending, this book gets a 3.
on March 29, 2013
I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a quick entertaining original novel. Wonderful character development, original storyline that keeps you guessing throughout. Type of read that makes you look at yourself and how you would handle the situations that the main character is dealing with. Grabs you at the beginning and keeps you enthralled through each chapter. One of those reads that will stay with you and keep you contemplating life, if you let it. Zusak also wrote the Book Thief, which is even better than this novel. I look forward to reading more of his works. Enjoy!
on December 4, 2016
I have mixed feelings about this book.The concept was an interesting one. There were moments when I was captured into the storyline and the main character's self-reflection and intuition, but it ebbed and flowed. And I felt the ending seemed rushed through and not given enough thought to really give the reader a meaningful "message" or a thought provoking closure to the story.
I don't know if this book was conceived before or after "The Book Thief",by the same author, but it doesn't compare.
on April 15, 2017
The vivid way the author describes mundane details is breath taking. The unique formatting of the book that mimicks poetry in creating the tone and mood is astounding. And...the cursing may add authenticity, but only detracts from the otherwise we'll crafted, captivating tale.
on April 24, 2017
enjoyed the story, characters, an altogether enjoyable read, kept my interest the whole book ,wanted to see ending for the main character