Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM March Birthstone Book House Cleaning GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 7, 2006, 2:00:29 PM PDT
Minnie Mouse says:
I know from everything I read these days that olive oil is good for you but I do not like the taste of it no matter what you do with it. I don't like it for dressing salads and certainly not to cook with. Am I alone out here?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2006, 9:21:17 AM PDT
You're not alone. Try other good-for-you oils to see which one's you do like!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2006, 8:30:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2006, 8:31:11 AM PST
cw410 says:
Try a better brand, or try coconut oil--not sure whether that is allowed on South Beach, but it is a wonderful substitute.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2006, 4:13:32 PM PST
Smart Blonde says:
Try a good quality grapeseed oil (in a dark bottle) - I buy Salute Saute! from Italy. VERY mild, even my husband commented on it. Added bonus--it has a higher smoke point than olive oil, great for sauteing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2007, 6:39:24 PM PST
pmc11520 says:
How about avacado, walnut, peanut or canola. All are good. corn, safflower, grapeseed and coconut are only allowed in limited quantities.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008, 12:39:30 PM PST
Also good to start off with a light olive oil if the taste is too overpowering. Lighter means milder. There are some that are virtually tasteless. Of course, the stronger the taste, the purer and the better for your health.

Posted on Nov 30, 2009, 8:21:05 AM PST
T. Cakir says:
I am a doctor and hate olives and its oil. But i do know that my body needs this oil. So i make a research and find that hazelnuts oil have the same molecular structure. plus vit-E and it doesn't smell. so try it you wont regret.

Posted on May 8, 2010, 4:23:42 PM PDT
AmentLVR says:
Maybe you could mix it with vegetable oil or one that you like until your palette can tolerate it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2010, 5:37:04 PM PDT
I also cannot stand the taste of olive oil. Can detect even the tiniest amount in any recipe and have trouble swallowing the food. I just read that Canola oil is as good if not better than olive oil and I have been using it for a few years now. The use of olive oil in the U.S. is relatively new. Plus you can fry with canola oil (I don't do too much of that, though). You don't have to worry about a strong perfumey taste in your recipes.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010, 12:43:17 PM PDT
i cant stand olives or its oil for any purpose at all. i use canola oil, it tastes great. i agree with loretta. i dont understand how people can like olives or its oil. i also think the doc above must know something.

Posted on Mar 25, 2011, 4:22:52 PM PDT
Well I don't get how people don't like Olive Oil! It's so good for you. Anyway, there are many other oils out there, you will just have to do some research and some taste testing and I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

Posted on Aug 22, 2011, 7:07:55 PM PDT
Medici says:
I agree, I don't like olive oil much. It has a STRONG taste, which makes it unsuitable for fine cooking, in my opiniion. Certainly it will dominate a salad dressing when you don't want it to. Same for cooking vegetables. It's over-rated and became so because people like Italian food disproportionately, in my opinion. Another equally over-rated food is garlic. I think of putting it in some dish, then I think, it will only dominate it with a strong, inappropriate and uncomplimentary taste.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012, 11:31:10 AM PST
prophet-5 says:
olive oil is the best thing on earth. You people don't know what you are talking about.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012, 12:17:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2012, 12:20:00 PM PDT
annipianni says:
I'm with all those who just absolutely HATE olive oil - even the smell of it turns my stomach. I use grapeseed oil, which has a slightly nutty flavor but doesn't overtake the taste of everything, which olive oil does for me. Canola oil and avocado oil are also good alternatives. I'm SO glad I'm not the only person on the planet who can't stand olive oil (or the olives it comes from!).

Posted on Sep 28, 2012, 2:28:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2012, 2:44:57 PM PDT
J. Pawlowski says:
I can't stand the smell or taste of olive oil & olives. It smells like barf to me. The rest of my family started using it in stuff & salads long after I grew up & moved out after the health craze about it started. They remarked that I never eat their salads. I love a good salad, I just hated theirs after they changed their ingredients.

It can't be just me either. At family events where we all bring or make stuff for the event, they gobble up all of my salads right away, & come back for more, where there's still plenty left over at the end of the day of the rest of the family's salads. So even though they swear they like olive oil, by their own taste test, they gobble up more of my salads than their own. We all make the same salads the same ways, as taught by our parents, except they're using olive oil, & I won't.

Also olive oil has a lower smoking & flash temperature than most other oils, which makes it bad & even dangerous for normal cooking & frying. I hate that burnt taste in foods cooked or fried with olive oil, & it can burst into a sudden violent oil fire at normal cooking & frying temperatures. I guess anybody who throws their burgers & hot dogs on a fire until they're tuning black don't mind or notice the burnt taste... or maybe they like burnt tastes.

At near olive oil smoking temperatures it can become toxic. Use it up fast too because it gets rancid & spoils fast than most oils. It's has around twice as much saturated fat as Canola & some other oils.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013, 5:07:22 AM PST
Pittsy says:
Olive oil is not good for you, it is just that it is not as bad for you as some others. The only oils that are good for you are omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and olive oil is not very high in those. Still if you like your food tasting like its cooked in molten plastic carry on using it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013, 7:04:43 PM PST
Smihlen says:
I am not a great olive oil fan either. I find grapeseed oil to have great nutrients and use it as a subsitute for olive oil. It has a "clean" taste and high smoke point.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2013, 8:01:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2013, 8:04:58 AM PDT
You may love olive oil as many do..but, to me, it tastes awful.! And Canola oil is basically tasteless and just as healthy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2013, 6:57:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2013, 6:58:53 PM PDT
george senda says:
Its not a matter of like or dislike. Some people cannot handle the taste of either olive or canola oil. Both make me sick to my stomach, yet so many professional chefs ( like Emeril ) are obsessed with using the damned stuff. Supposedly one shouldn't use processed oils, yet what can one do ? Use peanut oil ? - My Mother uses the stuff but she doesn't realize it can and will go rancid and I've gotten sick from her cooking with it. I really hate the taste of both olive and canola oils yet I can eat pimentos in green olives all day out of the jar. My gf can't stand olives or olive oil either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2013, 11:33:05 AM PDT
J. Pawlowski says:
Canola is almost tasteless. You either got a bad batch, a very old spoiled batch, or a blend that wasn't pure canola.

Posted on Aug 25, 2015, 11:15:53 AM PDT
Glad to know I'm not alone in my disgust for olive oil - love olives - hate the oil. Another question: WHY, if we're trying to be healthy, are we adding any oil at all to vegetable preparations? What's wrong with just steaming them? I'm also nauseated by garlic, parsley, thyme, rosemary...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Jun 7, 2006
Latest post:  Aug 25, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers