Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I Like Myself
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School

Format: Audio Cassette|Change

on January 8, 2006
As a mother of two who teaches, and received a bachelor's degree in literature, this is one of the first children's books I have come across that I can recommend without reservation. Even though the story is about a girl, my sons love it! It's wonderfully illustrated, and when we read it, we giggle at the pictures and the silly ideas. The best thing about this book is that through the silliness the words reinforce a message about self-esteem that cannot be repeated enough! They love it, I love it!
on December 24, 2005
This book should be soaked up by parents everywhere. What a beautiful world this would be if all adults had the self-confidence of the little girl in I Like Myself! The illustrations are wonderful and the rhyme is divine. Treat yourself to a splendid book and give yourself a big hug and say, "I like myself!"
VINE VOICEon June 2, 2004
An ode to self-acceptance told in simple rhyme. Story tells reader that what matters is deep inside. For example, "No matter if they stop and stare, no person ever anywhere can make me feel that what they see is all there really is to me." Catrow's illustrations are lively and loving. Karen Woodworth-Roman
on June 3, 2005
I Like Myself! is the first book to receive the Wanda Gág Book Award for the year's best picture book to read aloud to younger children, up to age eight.

An African American girl energetically celebrates her uniqueness. Beaumont's rhyming text describes a confident, joyful, and silly child who appreciates everything about herself. Catrow's colorful surrealistic illustrations, created with watercolor, ink, pencil, and collage, playfully interpret and extend the story. For instance, the illustration of the girl and her pet dog splashing in a bird bath adds another dimension to the text:

I may be called a silly nut

or crazy cuckoo bird-so what?

I'm having too much fun, you see,

for anything to bother me!

The book delighted preschoolers through second graders, who asked to have the book read again and again. They laughed and giggled at the pictures and found something that captivated them on every page. They also enjoyed the rhyming text and commented: "I like myself, too."
on January 4, 2005
My 8 year old daughter strives for acceptance as many other children...she has no scars or other outstanding characteristics but lives in a world where grown women compete in The Swan, and beauty is more and more defined as being merely skin deep as evidenced by the increasing number of plastic surgeries performed. This book teaches, in oh, so gentle a manner, that we are all different and beauty comes from within. An engaging read, it teaches without preaching and cleverly lets children know that the first key to success is liking YOURSELF. It doesn't do a bad job at reminding adults of that fact, either.
on August 10, 2005
The first time I read this book I fell in love. I immediately went out and bought two copies to give away to friends. The rhyming text is so much fun and the illustrations are adorable. It sends a perfect message to any child (and hopefully some adults). I'm always pulling this book off the shelf at work (library) and displaying so it will get checked out as much as possible.
on December 29, 2014
This book is the ultimate in empowerment of young girls, from young toddler forward. There are no references to diva/princess/impressing boys/etc. The board book is the best format. It seems expensive, but it is HUGE, so don't let that deter you. This is my first gift for all baby girls.
on June 6, 2015
Every child should own this book. It is about loving yourself "inside, outside, upside down, from head to toe and all around," even if you have "beaver breath" or "stinky toes" or "horns protruding from your nose."

Beaumont's words read like a Dr. Seuss book, with a fabulous message and great accompanying illustrations. I like to give the board book version of this book as a baby shower gift to all new parents.

The cover is pink and the illustrations show a girl, but my 2 year old son loves this book and I recommend it HIGHLY to parents and friends of both girls and boys ages 0 - 6 years.
on December 30, 2006
I bought this book for a little one in my family, and it was read to the children at our family Christmas gathering. Even the youngest, my daughter's baby, paid attention to the words, and to the illustrations. The little girl I bought it for kept tracing her fingers over the illustrations, and she loved the words. The message in the book is so uplifting. This is a beautiful, lively book. Every teacher should have this in their classroom, and every parent should read it to the little ones in their family.
on March 24, 2006
This is a great book. The message is so important and it is presented in a funny humorous way that kids can relate to. I think anyone who has kids should get this book.