Other Sellers on Amazon
I Spy - Season 1
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The series broke new ground as the first American television drama to feature an African-American actor (Cosby) in a lead role. Cosby's Scotty played a straight-laced Rhodes scholar fluent in several languages, although he was really the brains behind the duo. Culp was the athlete and playboy who lived by the seat-of-his-pants.
I remember the show particularly for its exotic international locations a la James Bond, which was another first in American television. The joking banter and chemistry between Culp and Cosby was another highlight of the series, often in counterpoint to some serious subjects.
Season One included these 28 episodes:
1. So Long Patrick Henry -- Elroy Brown (Ivan Dixon) is an embittered American athlete who defects to China. Kelly and Scotty are assigned to bring him back, only to uncover a Red Chinese plot to expand their influence in Africa through Brown. (The first of seven consecutive episodes filmed in Hong Kong).
2. A Cup of Kindness -- Kelly must kill an old friend who is accused of being a double agent, and who has stolen some important scientific equipment. However, the man pleads innocent and asks Kelly to help him prove it.
3. Carry Me Back to Old Tsing-Tao -- Kelly and Scotty tangle with the greedy sons-in-law of an elderly Chinese merchant who claims he wants to pay a million dollars in back taxes so that he can go home to Formosa.
4.Read more ›
- This appears to be a direct copy from master tapes of good condition.
- Video not redone. Some minor specs/lines, usually towards the beginning of each episode, otherwise crystal clear.
- No languages (English only).
- No subtitles.
- No Close Captioned.
- Audio not redone. Some words are a little muddled and you'll just have to figure out what was said. Rare.
- Container box for discs has classic picture, box set number, and episode titles.
- 7 discs each in its own slim transparent case. Each case is about 4-1/2 discs thick.
- Simple menu. 4 episodes per disc. 6 chapters per episode. All in color.
- Each case has a covering insert. Front cover has a classic picture, series title, and episode titles. Back cover has episode titles, each with a list of its guests and a short synopsis of the episode. 'Spine' has series title, disk number, and one episode title.
- No extras, neither on disc nor included written documentation.
- Each episode is 50 minutes long.
- No laugh track. The series was not recorded with a laugh track.
It's amazing that 1 hour TV shows were that long back then. Today's 1 hour shows rarely go over 45 minutes. I would have liked subtitles, close captions, and extras. Either more episodes per disc and extras together on other discs, or mixed together, would also have been nice. Obviously each disc contains lots of blank space. The series lives on DVD and can still deliver the incredible enjoyment of the show, commercial free.
I have been a long time customer of Image Entertainment, going back to laserdisc days. But I shall never buy another product from them again and risk its mailing to me in such cheap, unacceptable cases. They saved a penny and lost a customer. Real stupid in these economic times to treat your customers like gum on your shoe, instead of gold. When I attempted to contact Image, their email for customer inquiries was dead. I telephoned them and they didn't want to hear about the problem. They REFUSED to take my name and telephone number.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I was looking for certain episodes which happened in Mexico and I found them.Published 4 months ago by Maria Couturier
Usually when they package an entire season's shows into a single box, all the extras go away. This one kept Robert Culp's commentaries (on the few episodes where he provided... Read morePublished 11 months ago by Amazon Customer
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Television
- Movies & TV > Classic TV
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Indie & Art House
- Movies & TV > TV